Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5 Macro - How about more data?

I have read quite positive remarks on this now long discontinued lens.
Its image quality seems to be higher than expected, to say the least.
However, some information seems to be missing.
Below are my questions to uncover them for future Internet visitors (and for myself, of course):
- What was the original price like when this lens was on the market?
- Does it share its design with other lenses of different brands? Anyone particular?
- The ability to keep the focus while zooming in and out is a nice one. Do you know other Pentax zooms sharing this feature?
- The ability to shoot (semi-)macro "throughout" its range is a nice feature. Do you know other lenses like this? And, is there a name for this design feature? (Now most, if not all, current macro-zooms go macro-ish at the long end only).

I somehow feel that this lens was quite "different" from the rest.
Is it, really?

04-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know where you'd find an old retail price list. Going by memoery I think the lens was $449.00 at a shop in Halifax. I remember looking at it and choosing a Kiron zoom (this was a long time ago) for $399.00 because I barely had the $400.

There was a Vivitar 35-105 zoom but it's not the same lens with a larger barrel and front element (72mm). Several lenses can keep the focus if they are 2 touch. The Kiron I mentioned could do that. So it's not uncommon.

Some lenses can do close up shooting at all focal lengths. For instance my Tamron 28-75mm can do that. I think the kit lens 18-55mm can as well. I'm sure some older zooms can as well.