Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 04:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA lenses with Pentax FF DSLR

I am sure Pentax will come out with FF DSLR sooner or later. Wondering, if my DA* lenses investment will be washed away?

Any opinion?

04-07-2010, 04:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
I am sure Pentax will come out with FF DSLR sooner or later. Wondering, if my DA* lenses investment will be washed away?
Yes.

OK, I read that *some* post-FA lenses give a complete FF image circle, and I'm sure their owners will chip in here and let us know which. When I bought my K20D two years ago, I ordered the DA10-17 and DA18-250 (and FA50/1.4); and since, I got a DA18-55 cheap. But all my other (many) lens purchases have been FF glass, usable on my ZX-M (and much on my M42 bodies) and usable on a will-it-ever-come FF dSLR. Somehow I just can't justify spending $$$ on lenses with limited application.
04-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #3
emr

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

shows how well the DA lenses work in FF size. I believe other brands (Nikon?) can use APS-C crop lenses on a FF body with a reduced sensor area and number of pixels.
04-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
don't hold your breath. People have been saying the same thing for years now. Pentax has remained comitted to the ASP-C sensor, and the 645D will only reinforce this, people wanting bigger images will use the 645.

as for DA lenses and coverage on FF film bodies there is a thread on this, do a search and you will see lots of posted photos.

But having said this, every lens I own except 2 (out of 30) are Full frame.

My 2 ASP-C lenses are a sigma 10-20 (which covers full frame by 13mm) and a samyang (AKA Pro Optic) 8 mm fisheye.

WHile perhaps a FF 10mm lens is possible (Sigma do make a 12-24 FF) the 8 mm fisheye would probably be circular on a full frame camera regardless. I don't think any one makes an 8mm full frame fisheye.

04-07-2010, 08:17 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
don't hold your breath. People have been saying the same thing for years now. Pentax has remained comitted to the ASP-C sensor, and the 645D will only reinforce this, people wanting bigger images will use the 645.

as for DA lenses and coverage on FF film bodies there is a thread on this, do a search and you will see lots of posted photos.

But having said this, every lens I own except 2 (out of 30) are Full frame.

My 2 ASP-C lenses are a sigma 10-20 (which covers full frame by 13mm) and a samyang (AKA Pro Optic) 8 mm fisheye.

WHile perhaps a FF 10mm lens is possible (Sigma do make a 12-24 FF) the 8 mm fisheye would probably be circular on a full frame camera regardless. I don't think any one makes an 8mm full frame fisheye.
Sorry, but the FF could cost $ 3,000, affordable price (say ...)
THE 645, as well as dedicated lenses, costs $ 10,000, a figure that not everyone can afford.

Also selling all my kit I'm not even half the money, and as a second thing, 645D, not performance SLR, because it is slow and heavy.

hello
04-07-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

shows how well the DA lenses work in FF size. I believe other brands (Nikon?) can use APS-C crop lenses on a FF body with a reduced sensor area and number of pixels.
The Nikon solution is to automatically crop when the APS-C lens is attached to the body. The camera body "discards" the coverage outside the APS-C image size. I'm not sure whether this is an advantage or not.

I am sure that some Nikkor lenses, as do Pentax lenses, cover the APS-H frame size at some focal lengths, and some even 24x36 mm frame at certain focal length settings. With the Nikon system, even if your lens covers the full frame at the longest focal length, you will only get the cropped version.
04-07-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the simple answer to this question is that you should plan to use your DA lenses on APS-C camera bodies. Even if some DA lenses would work on a hypothetical Pentax FF, there will likely be lenses specifically made for that new camera that you'd want to use instead.

This said, even if Pentax does make a FF camera (it won't surprise me if they do and it won't surprise me if they don't), they are almost certainly going to keep making new cameras to go with the DA lens line. Just look at Nikon and Canon, they are making quite a bit from both APS-C and FF formats, and I don't see the death of the APS-C format coming any time soon unless full frame cameras get dramatically, and I mean dramatically, cheaper for consumers.

So either way, your investment won't be a waste.
04-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA lenses will continue to work, they will just be cropped automatically by a full frame camera. I suppose that Pentax will put in some algorithim that will tell the camera how much to crop -- it'll be something like what is currently done with lens distortion on the K7 and kx. I would suppose it would vary based on the lens. Apparently the DA*55 and the DA *60-250 are full frame compatible. Some of the others have fairly heavy vignetting, but are useable.

04-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The DA lenses will continue to work, they will just be cropped automatically by a full frame camera.
I really hope that in the event of a FF camera this is a lens selectable option, just like the focus adjust.

Some of my DA* glass will work fine FF, so I would see no reason to crop. Similarly, I might want to crop on FF capable glass. It just all depends.

Pentax, FF us soon eh?!
04-07-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote

Any opinion?
Yes - are you imagining that *if* Pentax comes out with an FF camera, that someone will force you to buy it and to stop using APS-C cameras? And that the FF camera wouldn't provide a DA compatibility mode option as others have suggested?
04-07-2010, 09:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I was wondering the same thing, I wanted to try and use my 18-55mm kit lens on my SF-1 (which is I assume the same exact design an eventual FF designed mount would be) but I was too afraid of possibly breaking the mirror on it.
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Veteran Member

@jct us101 - The 18-55 kit lens fits just fine on film bodies and works quite well with bodies that can control the aperture. I've used mine on several film cameras and even vignetting isn't a problem at 24mm and up.
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
Veteran Member

That's funny, because of the vignetting is pretty bad on crop cameras with the first version of it! I assume you tried it with the Mark II that doesn't have a problem with vignetting?
04-07-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I also use the Sigma 10-20mm/4-5.6 on a full frame Pentax LX. Workable focal range is 12-20mm without noticeable vignetting, but with no auto-aperture ring setting, I'm stuck shooting wide open.
04-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I sort of bought the DA 40 with FF in mind though it's not a huge priority. Considering I'll never sell the DA 40 and FF comes around, who knows maybe it will be a solution for me.