Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting Observation on Faulty M42-PK Adapter

I have the Pentax adapter authorized by Major League Baseball on the KX at just about all times, but because of a focusing problem with my Peleng 8mm, I had to remove the m42 mount for it (it isn't native) and permanently install one of my other cheap adapters.

I have two, and I don't know which one I bought where (China or B&H), but this Bower one that I attached (bright, polished aluminum and not matte, brushed) doesn't fit. I couldn't get it to turn (yes, I removed the thingies), so I pulled it off and then tried to mount it alone to the body.

Well, it goes in the hole, but with moderate pressure, it doesn't turn. And comparing it to the Pentax one, it has much thicker FLANGES on it. Maybe if you really put in the effort, it would do it, but who wants to do that?

I have my other cheapie at home, and I'll bring it to the office tomorrow to test, but anyone else here have a problem just getting one of these ON!?

And in case you think I'm too incompetent to be attempting this engineering feat, you're correct--which is why a mechanical engineer at work is actually doing all of this for me.

04-07-2010, 08:14 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Bower's are inconsistent. I had one that worked perfectly and was easy to remove. I won an auction that included a Pentax original so I sold the Bower. Another auction win with a Bower that also has the thicker flanges. It fits but it's tight and I keep it as a spare only. I can use it with the locking tab (Thingies) but it certainly isn't the same as the first one.

So between the 2 of us we have 3 different Bower's that are all different thicknesses.
04-07-2010, 09:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I can't say what brand it was but it was aftermarket in a local camera shop (now gone ). The very first one of these adapters I ever bought got stuck on my K10d. I don't use these adapters very much but the ones I have now, are true Pentax adapters. That first experience is why I tell anyone willing to listen, Buy the Pentax adapter.

04-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ah, here we go again. OK, there are several different adapters, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. I have and use them all.

1) Official Pentax. Safe and expensive and suitable if you're spending the day screwing and unscrewing lenses, or not swapping glass often. One is enough.

2) Third-party clone, often Bower. Cheap, but REMOVE SCREW AND SPRING OR YOU'LL GO APESHIT! I tighten these firmly onto screwmount lenses that I use frequently, especially with swapped K-mount glass. I've had no problems with the ten I have. (Except for the first, where I went apeshit before I learned to modify it.)

3) Third-party flanged non-infinity focus. Safe and cheap. Use on old lenses that focus PAST infinity, and on glass you're using for closeups-macros where you don't WANT infinity focus. It also enables trap-focus. I just ordered three more.

Yes, Bower-type adapters can be inconsistent. I test a new one on a macro tube or bellows or teleconvertor before putting it on the camera. HINT: when screwing any adapter on or off a lens, use the rear lens cap as a wrench. Save your fingers.

Another adapter issue: much Russian glass is on 39mm threads. Some are L39 or LTM (Leica thread mount) and will NOT do anything but closeups on our Pentaxoid cams. Some are M39 and work just fine. M39-M42 adapters are thin metal rings threaded on inside and outside. They're often cheap, but AVOID THE CHEAPEST! These are shoddy aluminium and will stick to lens or mount threads, and can ony be removed by destroying them -- like a Bower-type with the screw and spring left on. Those painted or anodized black are better than those of raw potmetal.

04-07-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Ah, here we go again. OK, there are several different adapters, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. I have and use them all.

1) Official Pentax. Safe and expensive and suitable if you're spending the day screwing and unscrewing lenses, or not swapping glass often. One is enough.

2) Third-party clone, often Bower. Cheap, but REMOVE SCREW AND SPRING OR YOU'LL GO APESHIT! I tighten these firmly onto screwmount lenses that I use frequently, especially with swapped K-mount glass. I've had no problems with the ten I have. (Except for the first, where I went apeshit before I learned to modify it.)

3) Third-party flanged non-infinity focus. Safe and cheap. Use on old lenses that focus PAST infinity, and on glass you're using for closeups-macros where you don't WANT infinity focus. It also enables trap-focus. I just ordered three more.

Yes, Bower-type adapters can be inconsistent. I test a new one on a macro tube or bellows or teleconvertor before putting it on the camera. HINT: when screwing any adapter on or off a lens, use the rear lens cap as a wrench. Save your fingers.

Another adapter issue: much Russian glass is on 39mm threads. Some are L39 or LTM (Leica thread mount) and will NOT do anything but closeups on our Pentaxoid cams. Some are M39 and work just fine. M39-M42 adapters are thin metal rings threaded on inside and outside. They're often cheap, but AVOID THE CHEAPEST! These are shoddy aluminium and will stick to lens or mount threads, and can ony be removed by destroying them -- like a Bower-type with the screw and spring left on. Those painted or anodized black are better than those of raw potmetal.
This was a Bower with the springs removed and I couldn't even get it ON. (The lens mount is a non-issue here--it "was" M42 but now I want to make it so it ain't.)

I'll try the other adapter when I get home tonight, and if it mounts easily, the bad one goes in the garbage. If not, I'm going to order another Pentax (please still have them).

I know this Peleng 8 ain't the sharpest knife in the drawer, but it was damn expensive and it's 8!!! It's worth the 30 to 40 bucks to make it operational.

Unless my wife gives me $500 to buy something else, but I'm not counting on it. I've been getting "that look" from her recently.
04-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The other Bower mounts fine, and epoxy is now cementing it to the lens.

Cross your fingers, because if I didn't get the epoxy perfect, my HDR shots are gonna stink.
04-07-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got both the genuine and a knock-off version. the genuine fits perfectly well, but seems a lil loose or does move slightly a bit and not fasten tightly unto the camera mount, thus making the lens shake quite a bit when held for shooting, focusing and changing aperture (atleast true to some m42 lenses without a flat rear mount. such lens rear mount adds support or stability that would avoid any slight movement or shake of the lens mounted). easy to remove, but changing the lens might cause some precious seconds or a minute. you have to remove both the m42 lens and adaptor separately.

the knock-off version messed up my unscratched and perfectly maintained camera mount flanges and the small locking spring tab. anyway, I had already removed the spring on the adapter, and it now works perfect as well. it's a bit tight and has a much thicker flanges which works well for securing your m42 lens mounted on the camera. I prefer this more compared to the genuine adapter, eventhough it had initially messed up (small scratches at the flanges corners and locking metal tab) my camera mount flanges a bit.

there are also 3rd party K adapter mounts which have an outer ring and a hole for locking the lens securely. these mounts don't have a spring on them and I think they were intentionally removed as they could really cause some real problems. I believe they change them, instead of the locking tab, they created the hole on the wider ring for locking, which makes it very convenient. I think they are selling them for $6 each. the only possible problem is that some of the copies might be too thick or don't fit or cause focusing problems. but for 6 bucks, I think the risk there is acceptable.