Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

A dust inside the lens...

I just got a lens bought from a seller in this forums, and I found there is a dust inside the lens...
I am asking how to deal with it?
Any help will be appreciated

04-07-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am now considering selling to somebody who is willing to fix it with a low price...
04-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it affect photos taken with it? Most of the time the dust does not matter.
04-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think all my lenses have dust in them, new and old alike. A few specks here and there won't affect anything.

04-07-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I think it's quite normal to have dust inside the lens unless it's a WR one (i'm i wrong?), my kit lens is 2 month old and has a couple of dust grain inside (was my fault, shooting trough a window in a dusty place in a windy day....) but i can't see them in photos even with high f number.
Recently i bought a used lens that has a lot of dust inside (i even tought to deassembly it to clean it) but i can't see dust even with that one.
04-07-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is a FA77, anyone inetersted, click here
04-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
It is a FA77, anyone inetersted, click here
You can do whatever you like of course but, I think you're going to spend a LOT of money recycling lenses like this for A dust spec. That said, if I didn't already have a 77mm Ltd, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Good luck..

04-07-2010, 11:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You can do whatever you like of course but, I think you're going to spend a LOT of money recycling lenses like this for A dust spec. That said, if I didn't already have a 77mm Ltd, I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. Good luck..

Any recommendation?
04-07-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It really depends how much dust there is inside the lens. The item however is listed like-new shouldn't have too many. Every lens will eventually have dust getting inside sooner or later. If you are disappointed over a tiny amount then good luck on buying used lenses.
04-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by henryjing Quote
Any recommendation?
Buy new and if possible do so locally. Then you can send them back and fourth until you get the perfection you seek. I don't blame you for Wanting perfection, that isn't what my post was about. Whether I would keep a lens or not would depend on how much I paid for it, and how much dust was inside. I didn't completely read the post you bought the lens from but if he advertised it as Dust Free (something I NEVER do), I would first be dealing with Him.

Like I said earlier, do as you wish. I read countless stories of even the flagship glass coming from the factory with slight imperfections like a spec or two inside. The nature of a focus mechanism, that sucks in and expels air, even a very minute amount, is eventually going to suck in a spec or two. The lens interiors are not vacuums and it's Going to happen.

04-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

IMO even you'll buy a perfect lens, since the DA 77mm is not sealed, sooner or later you'll get some dust inside as well - what yo'll do? sell it and get a new one?
04-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yeah, this is a dumb reason to resell.
04-07-2010, 12:31 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

The only way to keep dust from getting into a lens is to keep it in a sealed and clean environment, and even then, good luckj with it.
Of course, this means you will never get to use it, and will never really get to even look at it, but if that's your thing, then good luck finding a perfect copy, and get used to returning a lot of equipment for no reason.
Personally, I think worrying about a fleck of dust in a lens to the point of selling it for that reason is more than just a bit silly, but we all have our fetishes.
04-07-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

If you look hard enough, you'll find some dust in just about every lens. A few of my lenses have a fair number of dust specs inside (espeically the older ones), but I have yet to notice an issue with any the pictures I've taken. This includes shooting blanks walls at different apertures trying to make sure there was no issue. On the plus side, I managed to find a small piece of dust on my sensor when I stopped down to f/22 that I never noticed before.. it's gone now
04-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got my Tamron 70-200/2.8 back from warranty repair (the "sticking aperture" issue), and happened to notice a rather large dust speck on the inside surface of the objective. I was a little concerned but after an afternoon of use, hey! the dust speck had disappeared, apparently deep into the innards of the lens. Apparently no cause for any concern! And no effect on any images taken either.