Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Quality filter @ reasonable price?

I am purchasing a Tamron 70-200 f2.9 lens. It takes a 77mm filter. What is the best bargain out there?

04-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sbluems Quote
I am purchasing a Tamron 70-200 f2.9 lens. It takes a 77mm filter. What is the best bargain out there?
We really like the Sigma EX DG filters.

They are kinda spendy though, especially at 77mm.

On a larger level, it will boil down to how much quality do you want out of your filter? If not much, just pick up one of the generic brands. If you want lens glass quality filters, you're going to pay for them.
04-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want the best image quality (and a debate rages about if you should even have a filter due to IQ effects) then the more you pay, the better it gets.

Hoya are regarded as one of the best, with their Hoya Pro really good but not cheap. Hoyas sub brand of Kenko are reasonably good value.

But for a comparison of filters and their effects - which is probably the most important thing - check out lens tips for some detailed test results and the update to that

There are also tests of Polarising filters

Cheers
04-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Personally, I'm not a UV filter fan and I don't use them. The cheap ones are a waste of money and the expensive ones are beyond their worth. If I was taking photos frequently near ocean spray or dusty climates then maybe. If you really must have one I'd say Heliopan or B+W are the top 2.

04-08-2010, 02:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
Personally, I'm not a UV filter fan and I don't use them. The cheap ones are a waste of money and the expensive ones are beyond their worth. If I was taking photos frequently near ocean spray or dusty climates then maybe. If you really must have one I'd say Heliopan or B+W are the top 2.
+1 for going filterless, and for the above reasons for doing so. I bought a 70-210/2.8 that came with a UV filter, and I took it off two days later - with it on, everything distant became hazy. There are lots of threads about the pros and cons of filter use, so I won't rehash it, but I think you'd do better with a good hood on the lens at all times. The only filters I think are worth bothering with are ones that genuinely alter the optics (in a good way) like ND or CP filters.
04-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MoiVous Quote

Hoya are regarded as one of the best, with their Hoya Pro really good but not cheap. Hoyas sub brand of Kenko are reasonably good value.
Hoya and Kenko are exactly the same. Kenko is just the brand name for the Japanese home market and Hoya the brand for international markets.

Be aware that Hoya/Kenko have several lines of filters, beginning with the cheap, uncoated or single coated Green filters rght up to the Pro1 Digital or Super HMC lines, which are very good. Only these latter filter lines provide really good flare resistants and high quality glass. Also B+W, Heliopan and Rodenstock are regarded as top brands. Finally Marumi seems to make some good filters for very competitive prices.

Ben
04-08-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have a look at Lenstip's site--they did a quite comprehensive test of filters.

Articles - Lenstip.com

04-08-2010, 10:02 AM   #8
Inactive Account

i believe that using a hood will be sufficient protection more often than not. i always leave my hood on for shooting and it does protect the lens a lot as well