Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Stereo attachment v Loreo 9005 LIAC

Am I in right forum? Please redirect me if not.
I waited over half a year for my Pentax 3D stereo attachment and was then a wee bit disappointed when it finally arrived that there is such a marked vertical shadow through the guts of every photo - more pronounced as f stop increases. The test pictures from the Loreo 9005 show merely a merging of the L and R images. Does anyone know if this is after editing or does the Loreo not have the vertical bar? Another disappointment with the Pentax was that the included viewer is only suitable for 5" prints - a format that has no appeal to me as it is not an available size in Australia other than special order.

04-08-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've never used a 3D stereo attachment, so I can only guess here.
I believe that they're intended for a 50mm lens, on a full frame camera.
So, if your shooting digital, if you look at the crop factor you should be using around a 35mm lens.
What I've read about it tells me that you should be shooting between f5.6 to f8. However, again due to the crop factor that might be incorrect. I'd start around f11 and try fiddling around until something works.

I don't know what to say about the viewer, except that someone might be able to make you up a custom size.

Good luck, and have fun.
04-08-2010, 03:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I found the 49mm Stereo Adaptor in a secondhand store while on holiday last December and found similar results at first. On a 50mm lens on a digital body, the images merge with no discernible separation (but also, without fully duplicating the left image on the right). To get two distinct images I had to use it in a 28mm (example below), but then there's the dark band in the middle. I'd love to try it on something wider, but I don't have anything wider that has a 49mm thread.

I picked mine up on a whim (and for the novelty factor) - I was looking for Pentax stuff in general and took it because it was there, it was cheap, and I've got a bit of CABA (the camera accessory equivalent of LBA). I'm curious, what do you intend to use it for?

Here's an example with a 28mm lens:

K200D; S-M-C Takumar 28/f3.5; 49mm Stereo Adaptor
04-08-2010, 06:01 AM   #4

Original Poster
In answer to Little Laker: The Stereo Attachment D that I have is built for DSLR. Has a 50mm thread. I use it at 35mm on my 18-55II. The greater the f-stop the bigger the shadow. I edit it out with Stereo Photo Maker (Its a gem!) I don't think crop factor is relevant to my problem.

In reply to LenScribe: You lucky bloke finding yours in a 2nd hand shop. Mine was $189. As far as I know the old 49mm thread version works just as well for digital. There may be a cropping factor - I don't know. I always set focal length to 35 (old 50) as this is meant to give a correct stereoscopic image. Your sample picture shows that much of the left hand side of the right hand image is cut off: the two shots only partly overlap. Partly due I guess to being too close to the subject for the capability of the adaptor and partly for it being set too wide angle. At 35mm and 1.3 metres from the subject the two images should be more evenly matched. This relates to my original ask: how do the capabilities of the new Lens in a Cap compare with the limitations of the Stereo Attachment?
In answer to your query of "what for?" it's a passion my grandfather had and seems to have rubbed off a bit. I find that the depth of view in 3D just brings detail to life. "Cha Cha" twin shots are great fun but the attachment enables me to capture people and movement: Grandchildren, animals, water movement etc. I'm a dabbler, not an officionado but I am enjoying gradually cataloguing the local wildflowers in 3D.

04-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cosmicap Quote
Your sample picture shows that much of the left hand side of the right hand image is cut off: the two shots only partly overlap. Partly due I guess to being too close to the subject for the capability of the adaptor and partly for it being set too wide angle. At 35mm and 1.3 metres from the subject the two images should be more evenly matched.
Ah, thanks for the hint, this was a first shot with it - I'll move back next time.

This relates to my original ask: how do the capabilities of the new Lens in a Cap compare with the limitations of the Stereo Attachment?
Right, I'm sorry I can't answer this for you.

In answer to your query of "what for?" it's a passion my grandfather had and seems to have rubbed off a bit. I find that the depth of view in 3D just brings detail to life. "Cha Cha" twin shots are great fun but the attachment enables me to capture people and movement: Grandchildren, animals, water movement etc. I'm a dabbler, not an officionado but I am enjoying gradually cataloguing the local wildflowers in 3D.
I'll definitely have a look at the Stereo Photo Maker software. Have you got any examples of finished ones somewhere you could post a link to? I'd love to see the end result.
04-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
Hi Craig,
Here is a lnk to a page that that may be useful for you:
Muttyan's Home Page (English)
I'm sorry I have not any pictures to show - I have never posted any. I'll have a go when I get home from work today. SPM is just too easy to get at least acceptable results. It has a button "auto correct" that does it for me! I am not a purist! Catch you later...
04-08-2010, 09:53 PM   #7

Original Poster
LBA??

* Late Bronze Age, an archaeological era
* Leeds Bradford International Airport
* Little Big Adventure, an adventure game
* Linear bounded automaton, a construct in computability theory
* Logical block addressing, a method for specifying locations on computer storage devices
* Long branch attraction, in molecular phylogeny
* Luftfahrt-Bundesamt
* Local Business Associate, in Telcom Terminology
* Live blood analysis

then I might get a handle on CABA!
04-08-2010, 11:46 PM   #8

Original Poster
Hi Craig,
I've just created an album with some shots of an echidna in the back yard. Not very special pictures but I have tried to demonstrate the basic (and wonderful) efficacy of Stereo Photo Maker.
FYI I here is a page out of the indtruction book for the Stereo Adapter. I doubt that there have been significant changes to yours other than updating the thread to 50mm.

Attached Images

04-09-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

LBA??

* Late Bronze Age, an archaeological era
* Leeds Bradford International Airport
* Little Big Adventure, an adventure game
* Linear bounded automaton, a construct in computability theory
* Logical block addressing, a method for specifying locations on computer storage devices
* Long branch attraction, in molecular phylogeny
* Luftfahrt-Bundesamt
* Local Business Associate, in Telcom Terminology
* Live blood analysis

then I might get a handle on CABA!
Haha, hover your mouse over unfamiliar terms and all will be revealed... it's Lens Buying Addition.

Hi Craig,
I've just created an album with some shots of an echidna in the back yard. Not very special pictures but I have tried to demonstrate the basic (and wonderful) efficacy of Stereo Photo Maker.
FYI I here is a page out of the indtruction book for the Stereo Adapter. I doubt that there have been significant changes to yours other than updating the thread to 50mm.
Thanks for the links to the sample pics, it'll have to wait until I get home and have some suitable eyewear. I lived in Victoria for a few months last year, and despite spending quite a bit of time cycling in the bush I didn't once see an echidna... I gather they're skittish creatures.

I look forward to your samples!
04-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #10

Original Poster
I lived in Victoria for a few months last year, and despite spending quite a bit of time cycling in the bush I didn't once see an echidna... I gather they're skittish creatures.

I spent a few weeks in your country - didn't see a lion.
04-09-2010, 06:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hahaha, bravo. Were you in the cities most of the time? I was between Melbourne and Anglesea - didn't expect to see any in the former, but hoped the latter might offer some up (I saw enough wallabies, roos and indigenous birds to keep hoping).
04-09-2010, 04:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensScribe Quote
Hahaha, bravo. Were you in the cities most of the time? I was between Melbourne and Anglesea - didn't expect to see any in the former, but hoped the latter might offer some up (I saw enough wallabies, roos and indigenous birds to keep hoping).
They are shy little critters but can be found right across the country from tropics to Tasmania, I believe. Have to be lucky to find one in suburbia but they are there. I think there is only one species here, but another, bigger, in PNG.
For a small shuffling animal the echidna can cover a lot of ground. Now you see it now you don't. ie when you've come back a minute later with your camera. We live in the bush and may go a month or more between sightings.

We should have seen lions. We toured Kgaligadi TFP and spent a couple of nights at both Mata Mata and Nossob. One sunset our guide pointed out a blob on the far horizon that he reckoned was a lion. No matter - we had a wonderful time. Rest of the time was mostly round the Cape. Loved your country. Would return at the drop of a hat. Magnificent!
04-09-2010, 04:55 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi Craig
I like your gallery strartrail in the Gallery. How does the K200 handle a 52min exposure?
I used to enjoy startrails with film but have not tried it with the K200. I have thought of wiring a 6volt lantern battery into the DC socket for super long exposures. I once too an 8hour one. Do youknow if anyone has tried this?
Regards,
Pete (cosmicap)
04-12-2010, 04:04 AM   #14
Veteran Member

We should have seen lions. We toured Kgaligadi TFP and spent a couple of nights at both Mata Mata and Nossob. One sunset our guide pointed out a blob on the far horizon that he reckoned was a lion. No matter - we had a wonderful time. Rest of the time was mostly round the Cape. Loved your country. Would return at the drop of a hat. Magnificent!
Yeah, you can't go wrong with the Cape - I spent a happy three weeks there over xmas and New Year past. I live in the far less scenic part of the country, but at least within an hour in any direction I can be out in the bush.

Hi Craig
I like your gallery strartrail in the Gallery. How does the K200 handle a 52min exposure?
I used to enjoy startrails with film but have not tried it with the K200. I have thought of wiring a 6volt lantern battery into the DC socket for super long exposures. I once too an 8hour one. Do youknow if anyone has tried this?
Regards,
Pete (cosmicap)
I don't know anyone who's tried one that long, but I managed a 3 hour once. By 'managed' I mean it exposed for that long before the batteries died, but the shot itself didn't turn out as there was too much ambient light and the bottom half was completely burnt out.

I've had no problems up to an hour with the K200. The only thing I have learnt is to shoot in RAW (or RAW+ which I almost never do otherwise) and turn off all noise reduction completely (otherwise you wait as long as the exposure time for it to process rather than instantly being able to start another). If I just shoot JPEG, some of them have had random coloured spots/artifacts - shooting in RAW they look similarly speckled in a previewer, but the moment you actually process the RAW they disappear completely.

I took another recently which has even more impressive trails... will try and post it this week.
04-12-2010, 05:03 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Has anyone tried shooting video through these? Could it work, if you use the Pentax stereo viewer while watching a -properly resized- video clip on your screen? Would be extremely cool, if it works. I do have a Pentax stereo adapter and viewer but for the longest time didn't have a suitable focal length for experimentation (i.e. 35mm on a DSLR). I now have a suitable focal length but my K20D lacks video capabilities.