Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Because there is more image hitting the same sensor, resolution of a given arc of the image suffers in the wide angle range. Thus it is best not to compromise on glass. For quality the ultimate best wide zoom is the DA12-24mm.

04-08-2010, 07:04 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patrickw Quote
Keep in mind that at 15mm you can use quite slow shutter speeds without picking up camera motion.
Or subject motion, unless you're subject is close enough to end up pretty big in the frame . Really, it's extremely rare even shooting in low light that a shutter speed of, say, 1/10" would be particularly problematic. I routinely shoot it at f/4 and around 1/15" at ISO 1600 in dimly lit jazz clubs, and have far fewer problems with blur than I do with my longer and faster lenses shooting at, say, 1/60".

On the other, if you plan to keep using the 18-250 as well, it would probably make more sense to choose something wider. For me, the 15 is a nice compromise focal length that lets me leave my 18-XX zooms at home and just shoot primes throughout my focal length range, which makes me happier. But that's not for everyone.
04-08-2010, 09:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
AOShep I need to purchase a wideangle prime or zoom but want to make sure it's enough to complement my current lenses, not duplicate them. Currently, the only wide I have is a Tamron 18-250 zoom. How much wider is 16 or 17 mm compared to the 18 mm on the Tamron? I'm sure that any lens with a wide of 10 to 14 mm will be significantly wider but there are a number of very good zoom lenses starting with 16 or 17 mm.
Since you already have 18mm ability, I would recommend going as wide as possible, which is currently 10mm--rectilinear speaking. I have fallen in love with my Sigma 10-20 4-5.6, so it gets my 2 thumbs up.

But you would also benefit form the Da 15mm because of the much improved IQ it offers over your 18mm.--so it is just not a 3mm wide gain. Throw in its compact size, light weight--well you see what I'm getting at here.
04-09-2010, 07:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Since you already have 18mm ability, I would recommend going as wide as possible, which is currently 10mm--rectilinear speaking.
That depends on whether you need the 10mm end to be accurate, which on the Sigma it isn't. For some the distortion would not be an issue, but I shoot cityscapes with parallel lines etc. So it's a big deal for me.

(I still have to deal with perspective "distortion" but that is another matter.)

But you would also benefit form the Da 15mm because of the much improved IQ it offers over your 18mm.--so it is just not a 3mm wide gain. Throw in its compact size, light weight--well you see what I'm getting at here.
The size, lack of distortion, and good IQ stopped down are three great reasons to favour the DA15. But, though I am a prime junky, I would hate to be limited to just one focal length in the wide end of the spectrum, where every 1mm means a huge difference in FOV.

04-09-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member

To be complete I should also suggest the DA14. It is one stop faster than the other lenses and can focus closer. If you want those "one thing close and huge while everything else is far away and in the bokeh" type shots, this is the one. However, for every other application, there are better choices.
04-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #21
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
That depends on whether you need the 10mm end to be accurate, which on the Sigma it isn't. For some the distortion would not be an issue, but I shoot cityscapes with parallel lines etc. So it's a big deal for me.

(I still have to deal with perspective "distortion" but that is another matter.)

The size, lack of distortion, and good IQ stopped down are three great reasons to favour the DA15. But, though I am a prime junky, I would hate to be limited to just one focal length in the wide end of the spectrum, where every 1mm means a huge difference in FOV.
Another reason why I'm keeping 10-20 over selling it for DA14.

What do you mean, by the way, that the 10mm end is not accurate?
Distortions?
04-09-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
rparmar: That depends on whether you need the 10mm end to be accurate, which on the Sigma it isn't. For some the distortion would not be an issue, but I shoot cityscapes with parallel lines etc. So it's a big deal for me.

Please, tell me what you mean by "whether you need the 10mm end to be accurate." Thanks.
04-09-2010, 08:34 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Accurate in terms of distortion, yes. I recall moustache distortion at 10-12mm. This would not matter for landscapes.

04-09-2010, 09:10 AM   #24
axl
Inactive Account

Indeed you are right. There is a mustache type distortion at 10mm with 10-20 BUT, I rather live with it than without 10mm option.
Matter of opinion/personal preference I suppose....

BR
Peter
04-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
rparmar: Accurate in terms of distortion, yes. I recall moustache distortion at 10-12mm. This would not matter for landscapes.
I'll take that & 10mm over the options out there, any day. Judging by owners reports of the Sigma 10-20, others feel the same way. Even when I shoot city scapes & indoors, @ 10mm, I am happy with these trade offs. For me, the beauty of the 10mm more than makes up for the slight imperfections. There are times when the imperfections work to make a shot even better.

This is most preferable, and not to knock Pentax in particular, to me than is the overwhelming distortion on, say, a fisheye lens.

Currently, if you want rectilinear & 10mm, these are the facts of life. Of course Sigma is busy on a new UWA--it surely will be interesting to see what they do with this one.
04-09-2010, 10:01 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
starting to wonder why anyone would go for the pentax other than for the label!?
20-24mm is a useful range.
Some people like the constant aperture.
Great image quality.
04-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #27
axl
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
20-24mm is a useful range.
Some people like the constant aperture.
Great image quality.
Very good points.
Ideally I'd love Pentax to release 10-24/4 then I'd be sold in a moment and would have go and sell kidney to be able to buy that sucker... but I believe it would be worth it....
04-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Very good points.
Ideally I'd love Pentax to release 10-24/4 then I'd be sold in a moment and would have go and sell kidney to be able to buy that sucker... but I believe it would be worth it....
pfft LOL ! I'm sure it would be worth it....

I would settle for a 12-24/2.8 tho... but on a second thought i am not selling my kidney.
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
If you really want a good wide angle though, I would definitely recommend getting the Sigma 10-20mm. At least if you get that one you can figure out where in the range of 10-20mm you want to get a lens in.
x2 for the Sigma 10-20.

It is a pretty neat lens as it actually covers a fail amount of range
04-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Indeed you are right. There is a mustache type distortion at 10mm with 10-20 BUT, I rather live with it than without 10mm option.
Matter of opinion/personal preference I suppose....
Exactly so. I prefer the build of the Pentax lens, the IQ, the colour rendering and the lack of distortion.

There are times when the imperfections work to make a shot even better.
That is a poor justification for using a lens. I can introduce imperfections when I want them, but I do not want a lens doing it for me all the time. By this logic we would all get a bad lens and be happy that it introduced its own character on every shot.

This is most preferable, and not to knock Pentax in particular, to me than is the overwhelming distortion on, say, a fisheye lens.
Now you are grasping at straws. How is comparing rectilinear to fisheye even relevant?