Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You could also get the Tamron used and save even more over the Pentax (I got mine, the non-Di version, not that I've heard of any difference for $225). I'd have the Tamron and really like it (although it doesn't have that Pentax color/rendering). You do get rounded aperture blades, unlike with the (non WR) Pentax 100mm Macro.

04-08-2010, 10:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote

With respect to the DA35 f2.8 Ltd. Great all around lens. True that if your aim is live bugs, it's difficult to use. If the AF mechanism doesn't scare them off, bumping them in the head with the lens will. That's at 1:1 of course. I find my copy very usable with all focus distance ranges, near and far.

Thanks for the advice, I did not know that the Pentax was smaller than the Tamron. It adds something in my decision.
For the DA35, I know this is a very great lens. It's small and very sharp and it can be used in other situations than macro, but I fear that I will not be able to get enough close of my subject to get the 1:1 macro.
04-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
You could also get the Tamron used and save even more over the Pentax (I got mine, the non-Di version, not that I've heard of any difference for $225). I'd have the Tamron and really like it (although it doesn't have that Pentax color/rendering). You do get rounded aperture blades, unlike with the (non WR) Pentax 100mm Macro.
Thanks for the idea, I know that the Tamron often appears on the marketplace.
04-08-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
Forum Member

Personally I'd choose Pentax lenses if possible, unless Pentax don't have equivelent ones available or Pentax ones are way too exp.

04-08-2010, 10:10 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
Hi,

I want to buy a macro lens for this summer. I want your opinions on wich has the best value for the money. I'm considering :

- Used DA 35mm
- Used D-FA 100mm 1:2.8 Macro
- New Tamron AF90mm F/2.8 Di 1:1 Macro

Or any other 1:1 macro lens in the same price range. (not 50mm)

Thank you!
Consider this too. It is not as versatile as a macro lens but it will turn any lens into a macro.

http://http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-Macro-Scan-Conversion-Universal-Diameters/dp/B0002YBXBY
04-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Consider this too. It is not as versatile as a macro lens but it will turn any lens into a macro.

http://http://www.amazon.com/Raynox-Macro-Scan-Conversion-Universal-Diameters/dp/B0002YBXBY
Thanks, but I'm really considering buying a real macro lens.
04-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for whatever is cheaper... they are all amazing lenses. I've tried the tamron and I have the Sigma. Personally to me the tamron's build just isn't there compared to the metal sigma. It feels kind of cheap

Optically speaking they are all so similar that you'd be hard pressed to find a difference.

When I bought mine less than a year ago the Sigma cost me $380, the tammy was $440, and the Pentax was like $480 or around there. No brainer for me, and I haven't look back since

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4402320233_eb3d5bcabc_o.jpg (much larger version where you can zoom in to your hearts content)

Just my most recent ones on the flickr.... all at varying apertures
04-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Thanks, but I'm really considering buying a real macro lens.
I don't blame you. I own both a macro lens and the raynox. The raynox is not a real practical lens but it is definitely fun. Here is what it can do at its extreme, of course you can always pan back.

Last edited by KxBlaze; 07-08-2010 at 10:30 AM.
04-08-2010, 11:02 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Why should I go for the Pentax over the Tamron?
No real reason. The Tammy is super!
04-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
No real reason. The Tammy is super!
In term of IQ too?
04-08-2010, 12:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

In term of IQ too?
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Optically speaking they are all so similar that you'd be hard pressed to find a difference.

Seriously, get whatever is cheaper as they are all stellar.
04-08-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think I'm going to get the Tamron since it's cheaper.
04-08-2010, 06:10 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I think I'm going to get the Tamron since it's cheaper.
From what I've read, you'll be happy with it. But that Pentax DFA 100 in the marketplace seems a great buy, too.

Let us know what you think of the Tamron once you get it!
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Of course I will!
The Tamron is $400 shipped on Ebay and the item is in Hong Kong. It may take a while before I receive it. I will wait a bit before ordering it, maybe a week, just to be sure I won't change my mind.
04-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
Ira
Inactive Account

I have the 90 Tamron, and putting optics aside, here are my thoughts:

1) No problem with the build quality. Some people think heavy steel is stronger and more durable than Grade A plastics, but I don't agree, which is why plastics were developed in the first place.

2) The Tammy's push-pull auto/manual focus mechanism is retarded, and you have to be careful, because when you put it into a snug fit in your camera bag, it will change the setting.

3) The manual focus is smooth as silk, but I think the AF stinks, even with the limiter set properly. No big deal because for macro, I would use manual anyway, but with this lens, I'll use manual for EVERYTHING. Even when set for center point focus, it doesn't know what the hell to do.

4) I understand the pluses of a 90 macro compared to shorter lengths, but remember that at this length, handheld loses a full stop compared to shorter lengths due to shake, and even with SR, shorter length gives you sharper shots at equal shutter speeds. So if you're going out in the field and not doing set-up studio shots, I think the shorter lengths are better.

5) The 90 isn't fast, and some of the best macro is done wide open with shallow DOF and beautiful bokeh.

This all being said, I haven't shot mine long enough to be in love with it just yet, and there's a tendency here (and elsewhere) to defend what we own to justify the fact that we own it.

Everyone's needs are different, and I'm just trying to give you my perspective on it.

But mind you--when I see a beautiful little insect sipping nectar from a flower, I usually don't photograph it, but instead, crush its disgusting little body.

Bugs------EEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!