Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
Inactive Account

converting zeiss to k mount

Hello all

is it possible to convert zeiss mount lens to a k mount lens, i can get a really good deal on 3 zeiss lens ($200 for all 3)i think that is a good deal, i do not know what model they are yet, the guy is getting back to me with pics.

04-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Zeiss makes lenses for several camera brands. Do you have any idea which lens mount these are? It's doubtfull you can do this though unless they are screw mount. Each brand has different register distances and as a result you loose infinity focus when converting some lenses to another brand.

Are you in NB?
04-08-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a good site listing the register distances. Camera Mounts Sorted by Register It will help if you know the mount. For example you lok at Canon FD and it's 42 where Pentax is 45.46. So that means the lens is designed to be closer to the sensor/film plane. Adding an adapter and moving it out is possible and should work. But if you look at Leica R it's 47 and you can't make it shorter, so you would loose infinity focus. Making the lens a close focus lens only.

Then you have to find an adapter somewhere to adapt the mount if that's even possible.
04-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You can do it if it's a Contax C/Y mount. But the P/K mount parts are a bit pricey. Have a look:
Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras

04-08-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for all the info, he just wrote me and said that he will try and take pics of the camera and lens tonight, the camera is zeiss and so are the lens, he said i can have a 3 lens and the camera for $75. the camera and lens where bought in germany in 1968 so it is pretty old stuff
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MacKay Quote
Hello all

is it possible to convert zeiss mount lens to a k mount lens, i can get a really good deal on 3 zeiss lens ($200 for all 3)i think that is a good deal, i do not know what model they are yet, the guy is getting back to me with pics.
"Zeiss mount" could mean a lot of things. Zeiss made/makes lenses for lots of different cameras (their own and others)!

If they are, in fact, made in a mount "by Zeiss" these lenses could be Contax mount, M42 (Praktica), Contaflex, Icarex, or even the "scary" Exakta! But if they are just "Zeiss" lenses, you could multiply that possible number of mounts by 2 or 3! You just need to know what you are buying... some designs and mounts might not be worth the $200 for all 3, but that depends.
04-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks panoguy. I will find that out, it is infact a Zeiss camera it was bought in 1968, the guy wants in gone he said $75 for the camera and 3 lens, he said that i could go take pics of it my self if I want so i might do that them post them on here,

04-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MacKay Quote
thanks for all the info, he just wrote me and said that he will try and take pics of the camera and lens tonight, the camera is zeiss and so are the lens, he said i can have a 3 lens and the camera for $75. the camera and lens where bought in germany in 1968 so it is pretty old stuff
For that price I wouldn't care. I would just jump on it just for what it is.
04-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
For that price I wouldn't care. I would just jump on it just for what it is.
i just didn't want to buy it and then have no use for it, it is hard to tell my wife that I am buying more glass, and this time it doesn't even fit my camera
04-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Zeiss makes lenses for several camera brands. Do you have any idea which lens mount these are? It's doubtfull you can do this though unless they are screw mount. Each brand has different register distances and as a result you loose infinity focus when converting some lenses to another brand.

Are you in NB?
sorry Peter Zack yes i am in NB I live in Oromocto right outside of Frederction
04-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Forum Member

Adapters: SLR Lenses on other SLR Bodies

look under "Classic discontinued (and often hard to find) Adapters". It could well be a m42 screw mount, in which case you can use the m42 to pentax K adapter. Some m42 mounts may however have a 42mm diameter but not the right size dept if i recall.

Sounds like an interesting opportunity. Good luck to you.
04-08-2010, 02:19 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If they are Zeiss Contax

Zeiss Contax lens for Pentax cameras
04-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
i have more info

Super-Dynarex 4/135
Skoparex 3.4 /35 wide angle
Color-Pantar 2,8/50

I am going to look at them soon i will take pics of the mounts so i can have some one on here try and confirm the mount type
04-08-2010, 02:56 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Looks like you might be in luck:

Pacific Rim Camera : Photographica Pages: Zeiss Ikon Contax

Icarex zeiss

"These lenses are mounted with the universal 42mm thread mount developed by their rivals, the East German Zeiss at Jena. This lens mount was further made popular by Asahi Kogaku when it used it on their Pentax line of 35mm SLR cameras"

So M42 mount by the sound of it, so a converter shouldn't be a problemo unless i'm misunderstanding something.

someones already posted about using the super dynarex on a pentax right here on this forum
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/58954-carl-zei...35-images.html

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 04-08-2010 at 03:02 PM.
04-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the info fruitLooPs.