Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
With last year's price rise it has beceome too expensive. Look for a used copy. Good luck!
It's currently $3 less than I bought it for at least 18 months ago...

And, yep, it is an excellent range.

04-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
parsons: Pentax 12-24mm f4 or Sigma 10-20mm f3.5, what do you guys think?

I want to get a super wide, but im not sure which one. this sigma is wider and faster, yet the pentax is way more expensive in my local shop the sigma is 569.99, and they dont sell the pentax, but i was under the impression that you could get one for about 800 online???
I would look at pics & read owner reviews, from both lenses, carefully. Then I would consider the focal ranges both have to offer. Which is more attractive to you, often has more to do with what you already own. For example, when I bought my Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, I already owned a Tamron 17-50mm. So, the range of the Da 12-24 was less attractive to me than was the Sigma's range. Also, if speed is essential to your decision, you need to factor this in accordingly.
QuoteQuote:

parsons: if i went for the pentax, would i just be buying the badge or is it seriously a better lens (dispite being slower)??
Well, you could buy the Tokina 12-24 lens for less than the Sigma if you were shooting Nikon or Canon. And the newer version of the 12-24 in C & N mount ($499us) has upgraded coatings; the older 12-24 version ($399) supposedly has less effective coatings.
04-08-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
Pentaxian

I have been wanting to get the DA12-24 for sometime now but currently i am holding off the purchase in the *hope* that there will be a DA 10-16 from pentax (assuming the price will not be priced more than whatever i can afford).

Sometimes the lack of a precise lens roadmap from pentax is kinda bummer for people who just want to plan their purchase wisely.
04-09-2010, 05:00 AM   #19
Veteran Member

If f/4 is not fast enough you can get another stop with the DA14, which I don't think anyone has yet mentioned. However I do not see that making much of a distance for most of the types of shots one would do witha wide angle.

04-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love my 12-24mm!

I think it's an incredible lens--although I got it to use with my K20d and had to have it calibrated by Pentax as it was either front focusing or back focusing (can't recall which now,) which was very frustrating. Now it seems to be spot on and takes wonderful pictures--very crisp and well-saturated, low noise, etc, etc. Both the shots attached are small panos of about 3-4 images. If I had done these with my kit 18-55mm lens, it would have taken probably 10-12 shots each--amazing! Cindy
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Lovely shots Cindy. Is that a hall in Portland? How does it sound?
04-09-2010, 10:16 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Do you have examples? Here is something from my Vivitar 24/2 (Komine made).

P.S. Brampton, I remember Brampton.
That was a nice shot with the Vivitar 24/2- don't want to digress too much from the OP's question. I have been eyeing on the Vivitar 24/2 on fleabay, it is quite elusive as there is always another person who wants it more than I do.

The Chinon MC I have is 24/2.5 (the one on the left in the picture below), it is m42 lens. I used this lens mostly for indoor shots with flash when there is not a whole lot of room to move around - I shorted the contacts with alumimum foil to use snap-in-focus, it works well (in the party short) - seemingly a cut-and-paste effect.

Yes, if you have lived in Toronto/Mississauga before, Brampton is just North of Mississauga.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
04-09-2010, 03:26 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Yes, if you have lived in Toronto/Mississauga before, Brampton is just North of Mississauga.
Oh I know. I spent a good amount of time there. I am trying to remember... Heart Lake?

04-09-2010, 03:32 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Oh I know. I spent a good amount of time there. I am trying to remember... Heart Lake?
Yes, Heart Lake area is still a prestige area, housing price is getting pretty high there now.

By the way, Robin, thanks for the well-written report on the 28/24mm MF lens (especially on the Vivitar series). I booked marked it and always go back there for references.
04-10-2010, 08:07 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
outlook from Calle de Almanzora Baja

This shot, also from the DA12-24, has much less PP and so might make for a better benchmark. This is a versatile lens with excellent distortion control and rendering.

With last year's price rise it has beceome too expensive. Look for a used copy. Good luck!
Cool. We'll be staying near that spot in a few weeks.

You are right about the expense of the lens, though. $800 is a bit hard to swallow.
04-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Cool. We'll be staying near that spot in a few weeks.

You are right about the expense of the lens, though. $800 is a bit hard to swallow.

GeneV, I got mine in presinte condition from a fellow member who moved to the other camp at a very reasonable price of $500 a little over a year ago. Mine is definitely a keeper along with the 3 limited lenses.
04-10-2010, 02:07 PM   #27
Veteran Member

You are going to freekin' love Granada unless two euro drinks and great food and party people all hours of the day and night, plus antique streets and Muslin food and every type of Spanish delicacy and lovely sun and incredible street art and lovely people are not your scene.

It was going to cost me more than that in pounds sterling. The lens is definitely worth 800 in measly bucks!

But I got mine in trade, using this here great forum.