Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jupzchris Quote
i just ordered my pentax k-x and ill have it on monday

i shoot alot of concerts and inside of clubs lighting is the worst...

i know the kit one sucks pretty bad

anyone wanna give some suggestions
something affordable .. if possible 200$ range?? hopefully
I would take a long hard look at the FA* 85mm f1.4. It's going to cost you more than $200, probably in the $1100 range, but you'll get what you pay for.

Beyond that, I'd look at the DA* 50-135mm F2.8.

04-09-2010, 12:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Also have to disagree on the 18-55 (II) sucking too bad to be useful.
I did a whole band shoot with this lens. Because I was in the first row I almost completely used it at 18mm and f/3.5. But to put it into perspective: I used my Metz 48.

Besides this there are the ones I own that I can recommend - any f/1.4 lens - so mainly 50s. Slower, fully manual but really tele is my SMC 2.5/135. If you can get along with MF this could be great.

Both can be had for less than $200 and offer great value.
04-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter

The A* 135mm f1.8 would be an interesting lens to try in addition to the A 50mm f1.2.
04-09-2010, 01:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter

There is also the "new" Pentax 85mm f1.2!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/95710-new-pentax-85mm-1-2-a.html

04-09-2010, 01:55 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vize Quote
Isn't focusing a pain with manual lenses. I find focusing difficult under low light with the K-x.
It takes practice but people took pictures this way for over a hundred years. Most likely, no one you know ever used an AF camera before 1980. It's perfectly doable. MF using AF lenses isn't nearly as easy as MF using MF lenses, though - the focus rings are far better designed for the purpose on an MF lens. Plus if you're only experience is the kit zooms, the viewfinder will look much darker than it will with an f/2.8 or better lens. And others have suggested, it can actually be a better option in low light, where AF is likely to hunt. Also, in concert settings, AF is likely to lock in on a mic stand or instrument instead of the face where you might want it. not that AF can't be used, but even with my AF lenses, I often switch to MF mode when shooting concerts.
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

What you need to remember is that the Kx even more so than the K10/20D/K7 has a tiny viewfinder equipped with a crappy screen for MF.

You can't compare this to a camera made to be used for MF. It's more than twice the size, probably brighter and fitted with an useful split prism.

I'm useing Pentax' viewfinder magnifier + split prism so MF is very doable but on a stock DSLR it's hard as hell to tell what's sharp.
04-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
What you need to remember is that the Kx even more so than the K10/20D/K7 has a tiny viewfinder equipped with a crappy screen for MF.
True, but it's still quite possible, and I've got tens of thousands images from the last couples of years with my K200D (same viewfinder) to prove it. I too use the O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier, although I didn't for the first few months I had the camera. but I don't use a split prism. Sometimes I use the focus confirmation that thankfully works even with manual lenses, but mostly I trust my eyes.

Anyhow, sure, if you've got the money to spend on an AF lens that otherwise fits the bill. But if the budget is just a couple hundred dollars, you'll do far better with some old manual focus primes (28, 50, 100, and 135 are cheap and plentiful).

A recent shot from the M100/2.8:

04-09-2010, 05:38 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The A* 135mm f1.8 would be an interesting lens to try in addition to the A 50mm f1.2.
All you have to do is choke up the $2600 to buy it from that china seller on ebay.

Why cant Pentax get us this kind of gear at a reasonable price?

04-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am not an experienced concert shooter, but have been to many concerts and have lots of experience with MF--in fact, I prefer it, in most situations, to AF.

Something I have not seen mentioned yet which I think is noteworthy: concert performers, for the most part, (even the rock n rollers on amphetamines--LOL) have long periods of time where they are stationary. While this is much less true for lead singers, who often perform through dance while singing, the drummers, pianists, bass players, etc. are often (sometimes seated) in one spot for long periods of time. This obviously bodes well for MF shooters.

So, as daunting as MFing can sound to a novice, it need not be once you get your technique down. Also, it is so much more rewarding to nail a MF shot--IMO, than to nail an AF shot. And picking up a split prism and eyepiece magnifier simply sweetens the whole process. I use the KPS 1.32x magnifier which I found more valuable (more expensive too) than the Pentax one. But it has been one of my best investments. BTW, I use a $29 Chinese split prism too.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 04-09-2010 at 11:23 PM.
04-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter

Based on what you're saying here, I'd look at the Pentax-A F1.2 and I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend the FA* 85mm F1.4 in manual focus mode.

Ultimately though, if you're happy with manual focus, I'd try out the 1.2, it's nice wide open, and it's sharp stopped down.
04-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #26
Site Supporter

I forgot all about these, but I'f you're looking for less expensive, I'd try out one of the generic brand (rokinon or vivitar) F1.4 85mm lenses.

They're cheap, and manual focus only, which both sound fairly desirable for you.
04-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cgoudie Quote
They're cheap, and manual focus only, which both sound fairly desirable for you.
I was going to remind you that the OP asked for $200 lenses and you're recommending stuff over a grand. Bit of a disparity there!

A fast 50 would fill the niche rather nicely and would come in on budget. In fact, I would prefer it to hauling about a giant lens.
04-10-2010, 04:01 PM   #28

When i first started shooting shows a few years ago with my old K100d I used a 50mm M f/1.7 which did me for a whilst.

Best buy for me was the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 which I use for the majority of shows

then later if you can afford it get the 50-135mm 2.8

Now to save up for that 300mm 2.8
04-10-2010, 05:30 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
jupzchris: i just ordered my pentax k-x and ill have it on monday

i shoot alot of concerts and inside of clubs lighting is the worst...

i know the kit one sucks pretty bad

anyone wanna give some suggestions
something affordable .. if possible 200$ range?? hopefully
QuoteQuote:
rparmar: I was going to remind you that the OP asked for $200 lenses and you're recommending stuff over a grand. Bit of a disparity there!

A fast 50 would fill the niche rather nicely and would come in on budget. In fact, I would prefer it to hauling about a giant lens.

BINGO!!! If people would read the OPs thread, instead of letting their emotions into these things. the skeptical nature of advice would be greatly diminished. Thanks, rparmar for the insight here!

QuoteQuote:
cabstar:
Best buy for me was the Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 which I use for the majority of shows
I own and love this lens, but the OP is looking to do this for under $200.

As Marc has already pointed out, there is a plethora of old MF glass (28, 50, 100 & 135mm lengths) which would easily do the job. Couple any of these with the excellent high ISO capabilities of the Kx which the OP has purchased and he'll be rivaling Marc for low-light concert shots--soon!

I bought an M50 1.7, new in box & original packing for $26 at Ebay. This leaves you $174 for an eyepiece magnifier and split prism, as well as inflation room for any increase you find when buying the M 50 1.7--just a great lens BTW--a delight to use too, once you get the metering down. BEST!
04-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
BINGO!!! If people would read the OPs thread, instead of letting their emotions into these things. the skeptical nature of advice would be greatly diminished. Thanks, rparmar for the insight here!
Well, I am guilty too, since I posted an image from the FA77 for goodness sake. (And not even a great image, just an illustrative one.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I bought an M50 1.7, new in box & original packing for $26 at Ebay.
Your advice is good but I would say a KA mount would be better for someone starting out, and easier to handle when stage lighting changes. Not necessary but easier.

Can still be done under budget.