Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 07:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Sadly, I am a great cook. I am pretty good at everything I try. I think thats why I don't have a full time job yet.

I think that is wonderful and furthermore a great attitude to have in this world of under-achievers. Those who think about what they are doing and have passion are often good at what they try... because acquiring basic knowledge and skills is the easy part.

04-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Recercare Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
Depends on the shot.
Whole body/Family: wide 28mm or 35mm.
Upper half/Couple: 35mm or 50mm
Head and shoulders/Single: 50mm or 75mm
My list:
Whole body/family: 28-40mm
Upper half/Couple: 35-70mm
Head and shoulders/Single: 55-135mm.

However, distortion/compression is not the main reason for suggesting these focal lengths. The point is to have a comfortable working distance to the people you're photographing.
Ah, good answers! The general principle is: a focal length that grabs as much as you want, with a level of distortion you can live with, at a comfortable distance. For some people in their context, 12mm is right. For some, I wouldn't want to be any closer than a 500mm mirror will bring me. Maybe a 100mm macro or a 135mm on extension tubes, to close in on observant eyes, or profile tattoos, or notable cleavage, or a musician's or worker's hands, or a dancer's or wine-stomper's feet -- there's more to portraiture than just faces. And think of visages in reflected surfaces, flat or not, and bounced through faceted prisms, etc. Almost any length or shape or quality of glass has its use in portraiture.