Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 07:18 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think LBA is entirely cureable. --- once you have a copy of every lens ever made that can be mounted in some manner on a pentax camera ---

seriously though, the answer is really yes. For me, I have only 4 specific holes in what I want in lenses. Specifically for M42 lenses something in the 15mm range, and in K mount again 15mm, a fast 35mm, and the 200F2.5

03-04-2011, 08:12 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
LBA IS AN INCURABLE DISEASE!
LOL! it can be that... for me the cure has been CBA, which has fairly effectively innoculated me from lens buying. I buy cameras instead
03-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
I definitely side with the "NO" group!

I don't know whether it's because it's incurable or I simply don't want to be cured...

The above is the right answer. It's not.

Once you have every conceivable FL and situation covered in your Pentax APS-C kit then you'll start on a Nikon / Canon FF kit or maybe a 645 or even a Leica kit with every possible Zeiss / Leica lense, if you've won the lottery.

Every forum, magazine and camera shop window you pass feeds the addiction and sends you into paroxysms of doubt over whether the lenses you already own meet muster.

RioRico's .45 is really the only way out. Divorce, bankruptcy, homelessness and destitution await us all ..... but they'll pry our lenses only from our cold dead hands
03-04-2011, 12:27 PM   #49
Site Supporter

I'm not really a pixel-peeper, nor do I particularly like the mechanics of using primes - but I recently got 4 DA Limiteds in one swoop. Now, I'm buying a lens I don't really even want - the FA 50 1.4 - for the heck of it. What the hell?

03-04-2011, 03:53 PM   #50

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I'm not really a pixel-peeper, nor do I particularly like the mechanics of using primes - but I recently got 4 DA Limiteds in one swoop. Now, I'm buying a lens I don't really even want - the FA 50 1.4 - for the heck of it. What the hell?
Like I said... it builds and builds, you my friend are just going to get worse...
03-04-2011, 04:16 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Glaucoma is the only known cure for LBA.
03-04-2011, 08:36 PM   #52
Site Supporter

I dont know. I think I've about reached the end... except for that FA 77 and the Sigma 120-300/2.8 oh and the FA* 600/4 and the FA* 250-600/5.6

And the Reflex 2000mm

I guess it's not curable.
03-04-2011, 09:01 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hoanpham Quote
I don't have as much 50s as RioRico
I only listed a few of my Fifty's. My total count (now), not including a 45mm and a 60mm, is 45 Fifty's, seven of which are candidates for sale. I'm trying not to accumulate too many more, but one can never tell, can one? I've some others, dissected from rangefinder or viewfinder cams, that will be added to the list after I mount them. So it looks like the count may stabilize around 50 -- which makes me a mere piker, compared to some lens junkies.

QuoteOriginally posted by paperbag846 Quote
Glaucoma is the only known cure for LBA.
Glaucoma, cataracts, even near-total blindness, may deter one from catching LBA by preventing the acquisition of photo gear. But such aren't sufficient to cure LBA once the infection has taken hold. Case in point: my father, with severe cataracts, kept buying cameras and lenses. Then after cataract surgery, he realized that he *really* needed to clean his house... and that some of the newer lenses weren't exactly what he thought they were. No, a cure is much more drastic. Dad's LBA was finally cured.: he died.

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
Once you have every conceivable FL and situation covered in your Pentax APS-C kit then you'll start on a Nikon / Canon FF kit or maybe a 645 or even a Leica kit with every possible Zeiss / Leica lense, if you've won the lottery.
I am *SO* tempted by a NEX, which can mount all those, and many more, including some slightly modded CCTV lenses. But that is the road to madness. Ay yi yi...

QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
RioRico's .45 is really the only way out.
Remember, it's The .45 Of Mercy.

Last edited by RioRico; 03-04-2011 at 09:12 PM.
03-05-2011, 07:30 AM   #54

Lenses have upgrade paths, many more than cameras. At least with cameras, you're hit somewhat of a dead end if say you already have a K5. Or you can add systems I suppose but that's somewhat more difficult o justify than just selling and upgrading to a different lens.

Here's one scenario and I think it can apply to your favourite focal length (lengths if you're a zoom person):

Want to start small so get an A 50mm f1.7. But now I want AF so I get the FA 50 1.4. The 1.4 is kind of nice, but want faster so buy an A 50 1.2. Oh, but if I sell x and y that could possibly fund another lens like a CZ 50 1.4, or a Sigma 50mm. But sometimes a zoom is nice, so I get a 16-50 f2.8. On and on...

Bringing this back from the dead. I have done all the research on this myself and have come to this conclusion.

It just gets worse, and as it progresses so do your lens choices, from the $50 M's then to the $75 A's and then you start hitting the $300 F and FA's, then before you know it you got it REAL bad! You start spending $600+ on DA and DA*'s... the next thing you know you are trying how to figure out how you are going to get the funds for that $1500 (you name it)

Incurable.
03-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Definitely curable!
Like others have said: take a look at your budget, take a look at what you want, match, buy, done.
Then you can forget about other lenses and start (continue?) to enjoy what you have.

Now on the other hand, with this attitude perhaps there is no LBA
03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #56

Original Poster
The only budget I have is my wife... as long as she doesn't know I'm GTG!
03-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #57
Banned

Bringing this back from the dead. I have done all the research on this myself and have come to this conclusion.

It just gets worse, and as it progresses so do your lens choices, from the $50 M's then to the $75 A's and then you start hitting the $300 F and FA's, then before you know it you got it REAL bad! You start spending $600+ on DA and DA*'s... the next thing you know you are trying how to figure out how you are going to get the funds for that $1500 (you name it)

Incurable.
Wait until you have had it for 50 years and need a 14 x 20 room in your home to keep them in.
03-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #58

Original Poster
Thats where I store my Bat Collection...
03-05-2011, 09:28 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Thats where I store my Bat Collection...
Are we talkin' baseball or taxidermy?
03-06-2011, 05:26 AM   #60
Site Supporter

What do you think about starting an LBA clinic? Basically, folks with the disorder would sell there lenses and then for a (small) fee, come in and hold lenses for diminishing periods of time to wean themselves off of it. On the other hand, maybe a patch would be easier...

In all seriousness, for those who have LBA, is it more about buying (that is acquisition of stuff), more about the search, or more about photography (the pursuit of a different look for your photos)?