Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2011, 06:23 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The 12 Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous 1.

The 12 Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous
  1. We admitted we were powerless over lenses - that our camera bags had become unmanageable.
  2. Came to believe that a Marketplace greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.
  3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lenses over to the care of the Forum members, through the Marketplace, as we know them by their PayPal addresses.
  4. Made a searching, fearless and thorough inventory of our camera bags.
  5. Admitted to the Marketplace, to ourselves, and to another special person (looking over our shoulders as we type) the exact nature of our finances.
  6. Were entirely ready to have the Marketplace remove all these defects of rational judgment about shooting with what we have, not what we dream about.
  7. Humbly asked the Marketplace to remove our excess lenses for a reasonable price.
  8. Made a list of all buyers we had harmed by refusing to sell, and became willing to make amends to them all.
  9. Made direct amends to such buyers wherever possible, except when to do so would just injure them with this affliction.
  10. Continued to take inventory of our camera bags, and when we bought something we didn't need promptly sold it.
  11. Sought through taking photographs and posting them in the forum to improve our conscious contact with the members, seeking only a vision of the Golden Spiral and the skill to carry that out.
  12. Having had an artistic awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other Lens Buying Addicts, and to practice these principles in all our lustful affairs with camera equipment.

03-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The 12 Steps of Lens Buyers Anonymous
You did not give your name nor admit your addiction. FAIL!!

My name is RioRico and I am an optics junkie.

(Does anyone here have an extra Flektogon?)
03-08-2011, 11:50 AM   #78
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
You did not give your name nor admit your addiction. FAIL!!

My name is RioRico and I am an optics junkie.

(Does anyone here have an extra Flektogon?)
Heh! The above was transcribed from my wallet card. If a blog is new media, a poster must remain anonymous as to his own condition.
03-08-2011, 02:07 PM   #79
Veteran Member

seriously, this makes me think of starting a group where lenses are shared, and people pay into a general charity fund to pay for the lenses, on a monthly subscription basis

cheaper than paying the bid-offer on ebay

on my wish list at the moment, apart from other brands are the 21/35 and 70 da ltds, then I am cured of LBA, for this month at least

03-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hoojammyflip Quote
seriously, this makes me think of starting a group where lenses are shared, and people pay into a general charity fund to pay for the lenses, on a monthly subscription basis

cheaper than paying the bid-offer on ebay

on my wish list at the moment, apart from other brands are the 21/35 and 70 da ltds, then I am cured of LBA, for this month at least
that would be a great idea for local groups.

I have often thought of suggesting a local meeting where everyone brings just one lens, all the same focal length, for the ultimate shoot out. What a way to get reviews and good comparison shots.

but to answer the entire question, is LBA Cureable? I hope so, for everyone but myself. That way the price of used lenses will drop because mo one wants them.
03-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #81
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The worst possible thing to instigate a relapse is hanging out on this forum
How true re visited this forum recently and have just bought two taks after not buying a lens since march 2008
03-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is one final cure for LBA. It's called abject poverty. When you're losing the very roof over your head to creditors and the cupboards are bare it's definitely time to sell your very last camera and your very last lens. Not too many homeless people can afford to do photography. ;P
03-08-2011, 05:39 PM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
There is one final cure for LBA. It's called abject poverty. When you're losing the very roof over your head to creditors and the cupboards are bare it's definitely time to sell your very last camera and your very last lens. Not too many homeless people can afford to do photography. ;P
Abject poverty may cause a temporary suspension of LBA activity, but doesn't cure the basic disorder. An impoverished LBA'er could still shoplift from thrift shops. And yes, I've seen homeless folks with cameras, so that's no barrier.

03-08-2011, 08:43 PM   #84

Original Poster
Gotta agree, homeless or not I will have something to capture those wonderful family moments, like...

...finding a half used head of lettuce in the dumpster....
...evading my first mugging...
...enjoying the quiet comforts of our refrigerator box behind the nudie bar...
03-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
...evading my first mugging...
In this case the pop-up flash may find great utility as a device to blind your would-be assailant!
03-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Abject poverty may cause a temporary suspension of LBA activity, but doesn't cure the basic disorder. An impoverished LBA'er could still shoplift from thrift shops. And yes, I've seen homeless folks with cameras, so that's no barrier.
I'm probably among those homeless dudes with cameras...so maybe we have met
03-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #87
Moderator PEG Judges

Is LBA Curable?
Aye, when you've got 'em all.
03-12-2011, 06:28 PM   #88

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Aye, when you've got 'em all.
I must concur. But now what if you chose to purchase an adaptor that would actually allow your Pentax to focus to infinity with the use of old Minolta mount lenses....
03-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #89
Veteran Member

But now what if you chose to purchase an adaptor that would actually allow your Pentax to focus to infinity with the use of old Minolta mount lenses....
The worst invention that could be inflicted upon humankind: a digital sensor in the form-factor of a 135 cartridge, one that could be inserted into any 135 camera, thus making them ALL digicams. Oh, to so revive my folders and RF's and SLRs...

Aye, but there's the rub -- if all our SLRs were digital, we'd need to accumulate lenses for them all. ALL!! So I wouldn't sell the excess Minolta bodies and lenses, and I'd accumulate Exakta stuff, and X-Fujicons, and I'd have to get a FED again and a pile of L39 lenses, and then there's all that cheap C/FD stuff around...

No, it would be total doom. It's bad enough that I'm adapting N/AI, OM, C/Y, Exakta mounts to PK. It's bad enough that I'm still getting more enlarger, projector, Xray, other strange lenses, and cobbling-together ways to mount them. No, if magical adapters for M/MD and Konica and C/FD existed for PK mounts... I would just buy more lenses. There MUST be a limit! Somewhere!

I try NOT to collect stuff, although I'm surrounded by accumulations. I have just one collection, a certain publication that spawned just 42 issues and 4 books, and some coverage in other publications. I own all 42 issues, 3 of the 4 books, and most of the related articles, at least the prominent ones. I just need that last book, and I'll have THE COMPLETE SET! With NO NEED TO SEARCH FOR MORE!

Then I think of those who collect Vivitars, Takumars, Ltd's -- and the thought of collecting the entire set, sets my wallet aflame. ;(

Last edited by RioRico; 03-12-2011 at 07:23 PM.
03-13-2011, 10:30 AM   #90
Veteran Member

The worst invention that could be inflicted upon humankind: a digital sensor in the form-factor of a 135 cartridge, one that could be inserted into any 135 camera, thus making them ALL digicams. Oh, to so revive my folders and RF's and SLRs...
Wasn't there some sort of digital backs before as I remember?
They where like the Polaroid backs for SLR cameras.
They where made for Pro cameras mostly but the digital backs then where just a few megapixels if I'm not mistaken.

Now, if someone enterprising would just make some of these into something that would be competitive now, then that manufacturer would surely make megabucks!

Cure for LBA, buy a very expensive camera that only takes very expensive lenses.
..or buy an instamatic camera..let's see you attach lenses on those..