Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM   #1

What lens to buy, part II.

Hi All,

Earlier this week, I asked what could be a better replacement for the kit lens: the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or the Pentax 16-45 f4, and under what circumstances. I'm going to buy a new body and want to buy the K10D. Since yesterday, I found out that my dad still has an old Pentax body with three primes from the M-series that he doesn't use. If I can fit them on to my new body, I am free to use them. It's these lenses:

SMC M 1:2.8 - 28mm - Lens no. 7835358
SMC M 1:2 - 50mm - Lens no. 4882861
SMC M 1:3.5 - 135mm - Lens no. 7271345

This is abviously great! However, it makes me think even more about what to buy...

If I would have these lenses, what would be the best choice for a (wide) standard zoomlens? Would the kit lens suffice, or would the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f2.8 be more useful? And if so, in what circumstances would they be more useful?

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,
Martijn Senden.

07-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sendeman Quote
Hi All,

Earlier this week, I asked what could be a better replacement for the kit lens: the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or the Pentax 16-45 f4, and under what circumstances. I'm going to buy a new body and want to buy the K10D. Since yesterday, I found out that my dad still has an old Pentax body with three primes from the M-series that he doesn't use. If I can fit them on to my new body, I am free to use them. It's these lenses:

SMC M 1:2.8 - 28mm - Lens no. 7835358
SMC M 1:2 - 50mm - Lens no. 4882861
SMC M 1:3.5 - 135mm - Lens no. 7271345

This is abviously great! However, it makes me think even more about what to buy...

If I would have these lenses, what would be the best choice for a (wide) standard zoomlens? Would the kit lens suffice, or would the Sigma 18-50 f2.8 or Pentax 16-45 f2.8 be more useful? And if so, in what circumstances would they be more useful?

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,
Martijn Senden.
If you want to use an AF lens in low-light, the kit lens may not suffice for you. Then again, if I were in your place, I'd be quite happy using manual lenses should I need the extra stop or so of light, in which case, I'd go for a zoom lens with more reach rather than a lower max aperture.

But if you're dead-set on buying either the Sigma or the Pentax, I'd go for the Sigma 18-50 just because the Pentax isn't out yet. I've read good reviews about the macro version of the 18-50. The advantage you'd have with either over the kit lens is that the 2.8 max aperture is constant throughout the range, so either would fare better with low-light or shallow DOF as compared to the kit lens.

Then again, the kit lens is good value for the money. It takes good pictures. Just a thought.
07-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the advice.

I'm not dead-set on buying either the Sigma or the Pentax. They just seem the most obvious choices to me (I have looked at several others as well). I especially like the reasonably wide angle the Pentax offers. The manual primes I will be able to use aren't this wide. I will want to do some landscapes as well so the wider range of the pentax appeals to me. But you say the Pentax isn't out yet? I didn't know that. Are you sure? Please note it's not the 16-50 da* I would want to buy (right now).

Last edited by Sendeman; 07-19-2007 at 03:52 AM.
08-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Sigma too slow focussing

I have a similar problem/question.

Looking for a replacement for the rather disappointing DA 18-55 kitlens I tried the Sigma 17-50. Although the reviews are quite positive, I found autofocus too slow and uncertain. Even under relatively bright circumstances it just couldn't lock focus within a fair amount of time. Lost too many shots due to slow focus before so this one's off.

Leaving me to choose the new DA* lens about to be released (but for a price I'd have difficulties with) or the also very good reviewed (but elusive) Tamron XR 28-75 mm DI F2.8

Any ideas, anyone?

08-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

lol, stop relying on autofocus so much. A 2.8 lens will have just as much trouble focusing if light is dim. Maybe a small benefit over say a Sigma 17-70, but realistically, is it worth paying 2-3times more?

Our eyes are many more times as sensitive and the time it takes for the AF to lock on, you could have easily twisted the focus ring to the right/deisred length and fired off the shot.
08-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #6

Agreed on the low-light situation, but in a daylight setting I'd expect more.
I guess you haven't tried the focus ring on that Sigma? Tight and very, very short. I'll have to fit my k10d with a cats eye, but as long as I haven't got one I'll go with auto focus. (the focus indicators are off the mark quite often)

All I am saying is that, for me, the Sigma 18-50 is not the solution I was hoping it to be. Just hope the 28-70 performs better, if so I'll have to get a 3rd lens for the occasional wide-angle shot (unless I win some lottery )
08-03-2007, 01:17 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My vote on sigma 17-70

I would replace the kit's len with Sigma 17-70. I have not upgraded yet but the desire for Sigma 17-70 is always there for me. First, the range seems great to have extra reach over 55mm or 50mm. Second, it has Macro. So on the surface, common sense tells me that Sigma 17-70 would help me with less lens change. I am in favor of less lens change as I am new with my camera and I like to stick to the minimal to go.

And my main odd reason that I got kit lens instead of Sigma 17-70 to start my journey into dSLR upgrade form p&s is that I LOVE to be cheap and it is the motto (spelling) of cheap master that I can relate myself to. And I like to use the kit lens to challenge myself to get the most from that $60 worth of money. But in hindsight, I would have saved more in going to Sigma 17-70 in the beginning but the cheap master 'motto' and the challenge to go cheap steals me from the common sense.

And my LBA research in Sigma 17-70 with many browsing of pictures from others confirm that the Sigma 17-70 is both versatile, good quality and it has high praises from many people that I admire.

Here are some of my thoughts in my gear with K100D:

Looking for portrait lens:
Hin's Tech Corner: Pentax Protrait Lens

Kit's Len related blog posts:
Hin's Tech Corner: Morning with Pentax Kit's Len
Hin's Tech Corner: Soft Pictures from Pentax DA 18-55

DA 50-200 related blog posts:
Hin's Tech Corner: Pentax Protrait Lens
Hin's Tech Corner: Photozone.de Pentax DA 50-200 review

And images from kit lens and da 50-200 in
Hin's Photo Blog
Hin's Tech Corner

You have all the M lens that I am starting to look with LBA envy.

All the best,
Hin