Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 06:19 PM   #1

Limited Lens?

Hey guys, this is my first post!

I had a question about the "Limited" lenses, is the only difference that they're made of metal as opposed to plastic? Or is there something else that I'm missing?

Many thanks

04-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't think it's just metal vs plastic. The optical formulas must be different too.

Even the cosmetics are different: all the markings are engraved in, not painted on.

They are very addictive. Don't tell me you have not been warned
04-08-2010, 06:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They also may have tighter production standards than regular Pentax gear. It is really tough to tell as there is little official pentax documents about it. But the pancakes can be seen as nice light lenses.
04-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Most of them if not all of them also have Ghostless Coating on the rear element. The DA 35mm is a true macro, 1:1. They are also easier to manual focus than most AF lenses. Then they put in the pixie dust.

From Dimitrov:

QuoteQuote:
Pentax claims that the Limited lenses are designed to offer the very best optical and mechanical quality possible at the widest possible maximum aperture combined with a small size. Production is to be limited not by the number of units built but by the high demands of production process and quality control.

Last edited by Blue; 04-08-2010 at 07:10 PM.
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM   #5
Pentaxian

They are not limited in the sense of being only a few made.
Hell, they even let me buy a bunch of them.
They are very well built little lenses though, and all have very good optical qualities.
04-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

One word to describe DA Limited: "Classic"

DA40 is from M40
DA21 is the classic view angle just like FA31 on 35mm film camera
etc...

The FA Limited is the most classic lens ever...
In China, we call them "three princess", and they are a symbol of Pentax.
We have a saying, if you have never had the "princess" lens, you never use the "Pentax"...

So FA Limited is every Chinese Pentaxian's Final Fantasy...
04-08-2010, 08:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by budboyy2k Quote
Or is there something else that I'm missing?
Yes, the IQ is exceptional, and they go down in value in a very "limited" manner.
04-09-2010, 12:17 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks

Wow guys! Thank you all for the responses! That did help me clear up all my questions!

04-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was wondering about this too. I assume that because they're called "limited" lenses that Pentax will also only make a certain number of them as opposed to the mass production of the other lenses such as the kit? I wonder how many of the 77mm limited have been made and how many are expected to be out there.
04-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Even the cosmetics are different: all the markings are engraved in, not painted on.

They are very addictive. Don't tell me you have not been warned
Is this like the old SMC Pentax-m lenses? I have my dad's old lens (which I love) and I've been looking at the Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited or the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens.

But I'm leaning towards the Limited not only because it's metal, but it has that look of the -M that I love.
04-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I was wondering about this too. I assume that because they're called "limited" lenses that Pentax will also only make a certain number of them as opposed to the mass production of the other lenses such as the kit? I wonder how many of the 77mm limited have been made and how many are expected to be out there.

Actually, this is part of the above quote from Dimitrov. The limited is not related to number produced per se.

QuoteQuote:
Production is to be limited not by the number of units built but by the high demands of production process and quality control.
04-09-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Here is a link to Dimitrov's discussion about the FA 43mm Limited and it discusses a lot of the things mentioned so far in this thread.

FA 43/1.9 Limited
04-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by budboyy2k Quote
Is this like the old SMC Pentax-m lenses? I have my dad's old lens (which I love) and I've been looking at the Pentax SMCP-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited or the Pentax SMCP-FA 50mm f/1.4 Lens.
The build is different; they don't really look or feel particularly similar. Presumably you've seen pictures; if not, Google should be happy to show you. Overall I'd say the Limited build is superior to the M in most ways - sleeker, less clunky. But the M series, being designed for manual focus, do tend to have better focus rings.
04-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #14
Forum Member

Is there a reason why the 43mm is half the price of the other two though?
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Asudef Quote
Is there a reason why the 43mm is half the price of the other two though?
It would be the "Normal" lens for the FA ltd series. The DA 40mm ltd is the cheapest of the DA ltd series and is the "Normal" lens in that series. Normal lenses tend to be the most economical option available in a series of lenses. The 43 has been in production longer.

Edit: That is just a guess.