Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Junior Member
switch79's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Posts: 49
Tamron Teleconverter for K10D

Hi all,

Well I've pretty much decided to go with the Tamron 18-250mm as my general lens. For the price, what it does, image quality and the reviews from fellow Pentaxians such as yourselves it looks like the goods.

I'll be travelling at years end to Japan, Europe and Africa backpacking so I really need to limit my space and also changing lens, especially in dusty conditions in Africa. I'll be taking my Sigma 10-20mm, 50mm 1.7, the 18-250 and the mighty K10D. My main concern is the tele end. I considered purchasing a larger lens, ideally the 50-500 but obviously i'm on a budget and have to consider space. I really want to able to have the ability to capture tele shots.

I got thinking. Does anyone have any experience using Tamron teleconverters, if so what would be the best one to use on a K10D and the 18-250. Whether it be a 1.4, 1.7 or even 2x. If it gets me over the 300mm i'd be happy to consider them.

Your feedback and experiences are much appreciated.

switch79

07-18-2007, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Supporter
daacon's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alberta,Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 20,831
Count me interested

Do not have any advice to offer - however I am taking a couple of trips soon (Vegas and Mexico) and have the same questions. I am pretty sure I am going to get the Tamron 18-250 replacing two of my sigmas and anxioulsy await the experts advice on teleconvertors
07-18-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
and
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2007
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,471
Deffinetley not a 2x of any kind, you loose 2 stops and get a bit degraded image quality.

IMO with tc's its better the faster and better your lens is, typically a long f2.8 prime can have a 1.4, 1.5 or 1.7x tc added and still be good.

But adding a tc to extend the slow long end of a consumer grade superzoom lens, I dont think its going to be great.

I believe the best bet is the tamron 1.4x. The pentax 1.7 is great but its discontinued and you have to be prepared to shell out to get one, I think its cheaper to get a new 70-300 tamron than to get a used 1.7x tc. so that leaves you with the tamron.

You want to get over 300mm? crop your 250mm....

Your tc'ed lens will be very slow and very long, meaning you better have a tripod for it. And how often do you need more than 250, imo thats pretty long already. Unless of course in afrika if you are going for a safari then the longer the better.

But remember it will be hard to hand hold it.

If you should decide to get a tc then I belive the tamron 1.4x should be your best bet.
07-18-2007, 07:33 PM   #4
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London
Posts: 1,067
Tamron Teleconverter for K10D

Hi switch79

I'm afraid I can't help you out as far as advice on teleconverters is concerned, but only just yesterday I purchased a brand new outfit comprising K10D (body only), D BG-2 battery grip and Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DiII LD lens. I can assure you that the 18-250 is a truly 'sweet' optic and IMHO this combination is a way more preferable alternative to carting around one of those all-in-one consumer superzoom cameras with their crappy miniscule sensors e.g. Fuji S9600/Panasonic FZ-50 types etc. So I say simply go for it, sunshine.........I've no regrets so far, but just bear in mind that a superzoom will always be some kind of a 'compromise' when compared to 'prime' fixed focal-length lenses. After may years of lugging both 35mm film SLR's and medium format outfits around, I personally decided to ditch the 'weight of it all' along the same lines you are contemplating. Just imagine for a second those wonderful photos you are going to be capturing, whilst all the camera-buffs in the surrounding vicinity will be constantly fiddling around changing their expensive 'prime' lenses and missing unrepeatable shots in the process !! And here's another tip......I don't how much spare cash you have, but don't try putting one of those Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC zooms on your K10D, because you seriously ain't gonna want to take it off again.....don't say you haven't been warned o.k. It's truly an astonishing landscape/architecture lens and appears to be 99.9% devoid of barrel distortion.....unfriggin believable !!!!


Last edited by Confused; 07-18-2007 at 07:41 PM.
07-18-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Queensland, Australia
Posts: 668
A 2x teleconverter will give you a 36-500mm f7-12.6 lens, which is a shocking aperture range to be working with at the long end especially. I'd leave it at a 1.4x.
07-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #6
Junior Member
switch79's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Posts: 49
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi switch79

I'm afraid I can't help you out as far as advice on teleconverters is concerned, but only just yesterday I purchased a brand new outfit comprising K10D (body only), D BG-2 battery grip and Tamron 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DiII LD lens. I can assure you that the 18-250 is a truly 'sweet' optic and IMHO this combination is a way more preferable alternative to carting around one of those all-in-one consumer superzoom cameras with their crappy miniscule sensors e.g. Fuji S9600/Panasonic FZ-50 types etc. So I say simply go for it, sunshine.........I've no regrets so far, but just bear in mind that a superzoom will always be some kind of a 'compromise' when compared to 'prime' fixed focal-length lenses. After may years of lugging both 35mm film SLR's and medium format outfits around, I personally decided to ditch the 'weight of it all' along the same lines you are contemplating. Just imagine for a second those wonderful photos you are going to be capturing, whilst all the camera-buffs in the surrounding vicinity will be constantly fiddling around changing their expensive 'prime' lenses and missing unrepeatable shots in the process !! And here's another tip......I don't how much spare cash you have, but don't try putting one of those Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC zooms on your K10D, because you seriously ain't gonna want to take it off again.....don't say you haven't been warned o.k. It's truly an astonishing landscape/architecture lens and appears to be 99.9% devoid of barrel distortion.....unfriggin believable !!!!
Yeah I've got the 10-20, unreal lens, use it for some architecture work and weddings.
Give it 20 min and the 18-250 will be being prepared to ship. Whoo hoo.
07-18-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus




Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,648
QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
Deffinetley not a 2x of any kind, you loose 2 stops and get a bit degraded image quality.
You want to get over 300mm? crop your 250mm....

If you should decide to get a tc then I belive the tamron 1.4x should be your best bet.
QuoteOriginally posted by SupremeMoFo Quote
A 2x teleconverter will give you a 36-500mm f7-12.6 lens, which is a shocking aperture range to be working with at the long end especially. I'd leave it at a 1.4x.
I'd agree with both. Get the 1.4x You don't loose too much speed (about one stop) which can be compensated with a boost in ISO and that will give you about 350mm at the long end. The other option is to take the shots as sharp and steady as possible with the thought of cropping the picture later to magnify to your desired result. The combination of lenses you suggest is great for almost any situation.

If I may suggest (and you may have already considered this), you should take as many good SD cards or a memory storage device so you can shoot as much as possible in RAW (PEF to get the most out of the cards). It will give you more to work with when you are cropping and PP'ing a shot. Maybe a card reader would be a good idea since you could email yourself from an internet cafe, the files to a Gmail account which has almost unlimited storage. Also consider a decent, lightweight monopod and/or one of those small fold up mini tripods. The Mini tripod will allow you to set the camera up on any surface, a rock, table, fence post etc. and could make a huge difference in a good shot or a great shot. It could really help with those longer shots.
Sounds like a fantastic trip and we'll all be waiting to see the results.

EDIT: As RussellW says below the Sigma 50-500 f4-6.3 EX is a great lens. I also have one and it will fit in my backpack bag without issue. It is 1.8Kg x 95mm Dia x 218mm L so not too big for a decent bag. Long and sharp and easy enough to hand hold. If you can find one before your trip it would be the best solution. Only issue is they run around $1000 USD used and about $12-1400 new.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-19-2007 at 04:47 AM.
07-18-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 198
I have the 50-500 and can highly recommend it, the only issue is with non photographers who look at you with some rather strange looks when they see it.

I have travelled around the world for business and take a backpack with all of my gear it that is ds, 10/20, 28/70, 50/500, flash, filters and stuff. also with a laptop, I haven't had a issue with airlines or secuirty in the US.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
africa, k-mount, k10d, lens, pentax lens, slr lens, space, tamron, tamron teleconverter, tele
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Tamron 1.4x Teleconverter Sirfishalot Sold Items 3 11-12-2009 08:22 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 Teleconverter & Quantaray 2x Teleconverter DaveInPA Sold Items 15 09-24-2009 06:28 AM
Promaster vs. Tamron 2x Teleconverter mstolt Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-19-2009 11:42 PM
For Sale - Sold: Tamron -F AF Teleconverter OrenMc Sold Items 4 02-10-2009 06:53 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS: Tamron-F 2x AF teleconverter bonovox Sold Items 2 09-26-2007 09:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top