Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Which 85mm: Takumar 1.9 vs Rokinon 1.4 vs Jupiter-9

I plan to buy a 85mm Manual Focus. Please help me decide. Price is moreover same between Takumar and Rokinon while Jupiter-9 is dirt cheap.

Takumar 1.9 @~$250 shipped
Rokinon/Samyang/Bower 1.4 @$250+shipping
Jupiter-9 @ $120-$140 shipped

What's your opinion on all these lenses. I heard great stuff about Jupiter-9 but at the same time observation varies between various batches. So that would be my last choice unless the IQ/bokeh is significantly better than rest of the two.

Also, I heard that Rokinon/Samyang/Bower is auto aperture (can someone confirm), so that is an added advantage.

Thanks

Last edited by yusuf; 04-09-2010 at 08:49 PM.
04-09-2010, 11:50 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have the takumar 1.9 and the vivitar 1.4 (same as samyang)

The takumar I bought because it was a good deal (much less than you show, and generally 40% less than the typical ebay price) i already had the vivitar 85mm F1.4

I love the vivitar lens. big bright image in the viewfinder, KA mount so all exposure modes and flash modes work. I also am very pelased with the images I get, although some people really don't like the lens because it does not perform In their opinion as well as lenses costing 2-3 times the price. In the other similar threads like this, I have posted several images taken, which show the sharpness etc of the lens.

The takumar is also a good capable lens, and I have an item on my "to do" list taking identical shots with both the tak and vivitar lens to really compare them.

In a nutshell, here is what I can describe.

Aside from KA mount vs M42,
-the vivitar has am 8 blade aperture with partially sculpted blades, that retain close to a circular opening at much smaller apertures than teh 6 blades of the takumar.
- the vivitar has a 120 degree focus throw vs 330 of the takumar, making the vivitar faster to focus the takumar more precise.
- the vivitar focuses internally down to 1 meter, the tak moves the entire lens group but focuses to 850mm (a little closer)
- the tak uses 58mm filters which are a little more common than the vivitar 62mm
- the vivitar is almost 1 full stop faster which is really good for background isolation
- the vivitar is perhaps a little better in controlling CA than the tak, but the tak us pretty good, and really seems to suffer only from longitudinal CA where out of focus behind the focus plane is shaded in green and in front of the focus plane is shaded purple. as a result some background has a green halo. there us usually nothing in the foreground.

Given what you pay for the vivitar / samyang etc... I find it hard to pay the same for a takumar, although it is a great lens, I would not have bought it if I had to pay the same price.

I can't comment on the jupiter 85mmF2, my control of LBA has stopped me from going out and building a russian kit.
04-09-2010, 02:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you're leaving out the lens I'd pick if I were buying something in this range: the M85/2. I like the images I've seen from it better than the others (not that I doubt they're all capable of fine images), plus it's so much smaller and lighter. But my next choice would be the Samyang for the extra speed and the "A" position.
04-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think you're leaving out the lens I'd pick if I were buying something in this range: the M85/2. I like the images I've seen from it better than the others (not that I doubt they're all capable of fine images), plus it's so much smaller and lighter. But my next choice would be the Samyang for the extra speed and the "A" position.
actually due to speed and A contacts, the samyang could be left out, and the better comparison would be the Jupiter 9, tak 1.9 and M85 since they are all so so close in terms of speed and functionality.

an A series F1.4 is just so much different except in this case with respect to the price.

One additional point I should have noted, while not a big issue is the samyang is a plastic lens barrel, not metal, and this includes the filter threads.

04-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like 1.4 is way to go. Also, in this case, what would be the best price you can pay for 1.9 (seems like $250 is expensive when comparing with Samyang)

Others, please share your opinion too - among these three. Currently I have these three choices only, which one would you choose.

Last edited by yusuf; 04-09-2010 at 08:44 PM.
04-10-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

Hi I have the Super Tak 1.9 and a Jupiter 9. I like both lens the Super Tak is easier to focus and the color contrast is great for my aging eyes. I do not have the MC of the jupiter 9. I'd say if money is not an object I'd go for the Tak first otherwise the Jupiter 9 is a good lens. I like the results my Jupiter 9 lens because it is sharp and a tad softer for portraits. I've made a mental note to myself if ever I buy another Russian lens it must be MC (multi-coated). My MC helios 44-3 is one of my favorite lens. I hope this helps.
04-10-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9 and haven't used the other two. I really like the Takumar. It has more character and less clinical rendering than what I see from the other 85mm lenses, except for the Jupiter 9. I considered getting the modern 85/1.4 and selling the Super-Takumar. It would only cost a bit more than I could sell the Takumar for. I like the character, though. If I want sharp, I have a 90mm macro.

If I were building a collection today, I would not be immediately tempted by 85mm because the price is too high. Even these low-end options are typically $250. (I guess the Jupiter 9 can be found at more reasonable prices but I never learned enough about them to be sure of the different ages and versions.)

04-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yusuf Quote
Also, in this case, what would be the best price you can pay for 1.9 (seems like $250 is expensive when comparing with Samyang)
No, you're looking at that backwards. The others at $250 are just about right, but the Samyang is an *amazing* deal at $250-$300 Assuming you value the extra stop or so and the full auto exposure capabilities, and don't find the IQ wanting compared tot he others. From the samples I've seen, I wouldn't hesitate to take the Samyang on IQ, but that's a subjective call everyone might make differently.