Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
clarkebd

SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm f/3.5

Hi-

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I found a Pentax SMC A 35-105 f/3.5 lens that looks in pristine shape.

Glass is totally clear on both ends, the blades, zoom, focus ring are all very smooth.

I've tried to search on the forums, but can't seem to find a lot of posts regarding a reasonable price to offer on this. It seems like a very nice lens to shoot with regarding picture quality, but I'm an amateur.

Any ideas on a fair price?

Last edited by clarkebd; 04-09-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: To make it clearer what I'm asking
04-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Just bought one for 70 euro. The going rate seems to be between 50 and 125 euro over here, depending on the state of the lens. An offer of $60 to $100 would be reasonable maybe more if the lens is really mint.
04-09-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is a nice lens and it has an added macro feature which is helpful.

I bought one used last year here which had been cleaned for $115 as I recall. So I'd think you might offer a bit more than that if it was in pristine shape.
04-09-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have just bought one for about USD 125, in good condition.
Its resolution and contrast seems to be good (even at the ends of its range), however, it renders the colors noticeably differently than current "digital" lenses.

04-09-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the lens is worth about $120 if in excellent condition, that should also be the average price for it at the pentax lens review section. I would not let my copy go for under $150. It's an excellent lens, very sharp, versatile (has a macro function), well built and renders color beautifully, especially the color red. The only qualm I have with it is the weight, which is quite heavy but expected of a lens this size and build. My other issue with it is that on most copies the zoom ring is a tad hard to turn.

I dislike zoom lenses. This is the only zoom lens I own besides the kit lens that came with my K-x, that should give you an idea of how I feel about this lens.
04-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would also suggest something around $100 as a price. Maybe try $100 and see if they agree to that, and if not work them up somewhere around $120? It's a pretty old lens nevertheless, and not a popular range, although it does have fairly good image quality.
04-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I also agree with everyone on this lens, the lens really does produce stunning images and you will not be disappointed. I recently sold a copy of this lens and I sold it for $140 and it went quickly.

04-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It took me a while to get used to shooting with it but this is a very special lens. If I had to replace mine, I'd gladly pay $150 for a good copy.
04-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Low $100's.

This is an amazing lens for any manual focus film body, such as the Super A.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
It took me a while to get used to shooting with it but this is a very special lens. If I had to replace mine, I'd gladly pay $150 for a good copy.
I couldn't agree more. We both came to $150 as the magical number too, though I definitely wouldn't part with it unless I desperately needed the money. I think most people who are selling this lens have never really used this lens, it takes some getting used to.
04-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
this is a beautiful lens. i am amazed at the pictures i've took with it. Ditto that I wouldn't sell it for less than $150, and only if I needed the money. I don't think you can modern lens this sharp and fast at this price.
04-10-2010, 12:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

This is a surprisingly excellent lens. In fact, I will go as far to say that it is one hell of a bargain zoom. Excellent sharpness, colour bokeh and contrast and build quality is superb. A real beauty.

Unfortunately, these photos do not do the lens justice as they are reduced from their original 1200 pixels wide from my PBase account, but believe me, viewed at their normal 1200 pixel width, they are as sharp as most primes.
04-10-2010, 12:45 AM   #13
Inactive Account

A "good" copy will hold it's focus throughout the zoom range. Mine does. It came with a lot that I've now turned over and it and my K30 f2.8 are now net free. Still though, it's a very nice lens to add to a manual focus kit. Even if you have to slightly refocus from one end to the other.

04-10-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
clarkebd

wow, thanks for all the replies. Well, I ended up picking it up from the gentleman.

I can't tell you what I got it for as you wouldn't believe me.

It was well UNDER what anyone posted and what I thought I would offer.
He offered up a price before I spoke. I took it.

It takes TERRIFIC pictures. Yes, it's very heavy, but what a bargain!!!
04-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can pry it from my . . .

Congratualtions - you got a "cold, dead fingers" lens!

QuoteOriginally posted by clarkebd Quote
wow, thanks for all the replies. Well, I ended up picking it up from the gentleman.

I can't tell you what I got it for as you wouldn't believe me.
I don't want to know. I paid $129 in very good shape

QuoteOriginally posted by clarkebd Quote
It was well UNDER what anyone posted and what I thought I would offer.

He offered up a price before I spoke. I took it.

It takes TERRIFIC pictures. Yes, it's very heavy, but what a bargain!!!
I carry mine frequently, unless I am going on a very,long hike. It actually makes my backpack noticeably heavier - but its worth it!.