Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

FA lenses

Hi all, gonna get a k-x soon, I just wanna check if FA lenses suffer from chromatic aberration/purple fringing much more than DA lenses? Is there any way to PP it away quickly and painlessly? I have seen reviews from photozone.de and the 43mm and 77mm don't really get fantastic scores, and the purple fringing looks quite bad. Thanks!

04-10-2010, 05:02 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I own both the 43 and the 77 and find that the 77 is more prone to purple fringing, but only in certain circumstances. It can easily be fixed in PP.

Both of these lenses have fantastic build and both add a lot of magic to your images (magic = intangibles that are often not mentioned in review scores because they are difficult to describe). Two very well regarded lenses that are must owns in my opinion - if the focal length works for your style of shooting.

I hope this info is helpful.

c[_]
04-10-2010, 06:30 AM   #3
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't talk about 77 as I've never shot it but I have 31 & 43, and used to have DA40.
On K10D both FAltds show some CAs (43 is worse than 40 and quite a bit) and both can be pushed to PF ( but so could be DA40). I think PF in general is a weakness of Pentax glass.

Thing is, these things are correctable but to be honest I rarely bother. I accept it as a fact and unless not severe I'm happy to live with it. FA ltds are some of the best lenses you can ever get and little niggles won't change that.

BR
Peter
04-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
gtl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks for all the replies, but what is PF?

04-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gtl Quote
thanks for all the replies, but what is PF?
purple fringing. >>> Purple fringing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
04-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #6

the FA lenses get purple fringing only wide open, and then only in certain situations with high contrast like branches against the sky, lights at night, shiny objects. Down a stop I wouldn't worry.
04-10-2010, 01:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

And often it is a pixel of PF, so unless you are doing 100 - 400 % crops it is not that big a deal. But the reviews need to say something, and unless you say something negative most feel they have not done their job, so for 90% of the glass reviews out there I find the negatives overly blown. But I find myself doing the same when I write a review.
04-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
the FA lenses get purple fringing only wide open, and then only in certain situations with high contrast like branches against the sky, lights at night, shiny objects. Down a stop I wouldn't worry.
QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
And often it is a pixel of PF, so unless you are doing 100 - 400 % crops it is not that big a deal. But the reviews need to say something, and unless you say something negative most feel they have not done their job, so for 90% of the glass reviews out there I find the negatives overly blown. But I find myself doing the same when I write a review.
I'm not too sure about this guys.

I could easily push my 31ltd to show PF even at f4...
still it's my best lens

04-10-2010, 02:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

But is it dramatic PF?
04-10-2010, 03:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I know that I can get some bad PF from my FA77. But these are generally those sort of "trees against the sky" type shots that would be rubbish anyway. So if I get PF I do one of two things: take a different better shot or correct it in PP.

As this is absolutely the only flaw of the FA77, I live with it quite happily.
04-10-2010, 04:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The FA lenses weren't created with digital sensors in mind, so they lack the special elements that protect against it. But amusingly, some of the DA lenses (designed for digital) can sometimes also suffer from it wide open.
04-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I'm not too sure about this guys.

I could easily push my 31ltd to show PF even at f4...
still it's my best lens
Peter, I had to lower the contrast level as well. sometimes stopping down is not enough at f4.