Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, this is why I never what to buy lenses on eBay. The prices of these lenses just go through the roof and I can never afford anything.

04-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Inelasticity of demand from new users = higher prices

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Wow, this is why I never what to buy lenses on eBay. The prices of these lenses just go through the roof and I can never afford anything.
From 1999-2003 there was an amazing supply of seemingly un-touched exceptional lenses on eBay. * lenses unbid at starting prices of $199 - things like a A*85/1.4 or A50/1.2 sat there unbid (and unsold at KEH).

If you got a complete camera bag with a K2 or KX and some lenses, you could redo the seals, break it up and make a profit. John O'Connell is still selling 4-8 lenses a week that he bought a decade ago.

Then in 2003 the *istD was released . . . . and the lens inventory cleared, as did the supply of clean film bodies.

For a time in 2006 and 2007 prices were decent - we all had our lenses.

Now the K-7 and K-x have captured consumers' imaginations.

IMHO the market is similar to late 2003 and 2004. New Pentax users have entered the secondary lens market and are bidding prices up - they're still better prices than new.
04-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I'm not up on current prices. What should an F*300/4.5 go for? Seven hundred doesn't sound too bad, if I wanted one. My idea of prices for these was formed when there was no new version available.

The only time that you can be absolutely sure that no one is paying crazy prices on eBay is when you have something for sale.

I withdrew my A 35-70/4 ($50) from the Marketplace after one query and a very low offer.
It went for 755 USD...contrast that with a DA 300mm F4.0 for 849 USD. Well, I'm glad I didn't even start bidding
04-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
There is ample economic evidence that most people overspend in the auction format, largely because of the heat of the action. They get in a little, feel they have an irrefutable stake, and sell the cutlery to buy a spoon. There's many an episode in films and TV (Seinfeld) where this occurs, for good reason.

You can get a good deal on eBay and in auctions, with strict discipline.
Yes, it clearly works this way. When you see something that you want at an (initially) low price, you feel the pull of LBA, it's almost like a black hole drawing you towards the 'bid' button. I've been working on the discipline part recently, so no more big mistakes.

04-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
It went for 755 USD...contrast that with a DA 300mm F4.0 for 849 USD. Well, I'm glad I didn't even start bidding
Well, what would you buy instead, that would be cheaper and auto-focus? I don't think anything Pentax will be cheaper and I can't immediately recall anything similar in a third-party lens. Even if you consider manual focus lenses, all the Pentax 300mm lenses except the K300/4 are * lenses. I'm not that familiar with the current market price or other options, but if I was serious, $755 doesn't seem out of line if the optics were OK.
04-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Well, what would you buy instead, that would be cheaper and auto-focus? I don't think anything Pentax will be cheaper and I can't immediately recall anything similar in a third-party lens. Even if you consider manual focus lenses, all the Pentax 300mm lenses except the K300/4 are * lenses. I'm not that familiar with the current market price or other options, but if I was serious, $755 doesn't seem out of line if the optics were OK.
You are right. However, If I was really shopping in that price class, I wouldn't go cheaper but slightly more expensive. I'd definitely get the DA 300mm f4.0 for just a hundred more. It is newer, has WR, close focus to 1.4m. Wouldn't be able to use on my LX due to lack of an aperture ring, but that's a minor consideration.
04-11-2010, 05:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boucicaut Quote
There is a slightly banged up SMC Pentax-F* 300mm f4.5 ED IF being auctioned at the moment. I was initially interested but quickly lost appetite after the price started to climb (it's at 665 USD as I write this). Why is it that people are willing to pay this much for certain lenses? The copy is hardly a collector piece after all and Adorama currently sells a used DA 300mm f4.0 in excellent condition for a bit over 800 USD. I don't see anything that the old lens could do better than the DA, except for the presence of an aperture ring...a
The Pentax F* 300/4.5 a full frame lens -- yes, many people still use film cameras -- and has an aperture ring, making it usable on older bodies or on other brand cameras with an adapter -- it's great on my Olympus E-P1. It has a removable tripod mount and a very convenient built-in hood, which both the FA* and the DA* lenses lack. Optically, it is beyond reproach, and better than its predecessors (K 300/4, M* 300/4, A* 300/4). It is smaller and lighter than either the FA* 300/4.5 and the DA* 300/4. If you add the issues with the SDM of the DA* lens, I don't wonder why the F* 300/4.5 is the most sought after mid aperture 300mm lens ever made by Pentax.

And, did I say it's a beautiful lens?

Picture Credit: Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

Cheers!

Abbazz

04-11-2010, 06:22 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
The Pentax F* 300/4.5 a full frame lens -- yes, many people still use film cameras -- and has an aperture ring, making it usable on older bodies or on other brand cameras with an adapter -- it's great on my Olympus E-P1. It has a removable tripod mount and a very convenient built-in hood, which both the FA* and the DA* lenses lack. Optically, it is beyond reproach, and better than its predecessors (K 300/4, M* 300/4, A* 300/4). It is smaller and lighter than either the FA* 300/4.5 and the DA* 300/4. If you add the issues with the SDM of the DA* lens, I don't wonder why the F* 300/4.5 is the most sought after mid aperture 300mm lens ever made by Pentax.

Cheers!

Abbazz
Yes, I have doubts about SDM too. That, and poor QC kept me from buying 16-50mm f2.8 and I got the WR kit lens instead. Well, you've convinced me at least partially about the F* 300mm
04-11-2010, 08:40 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Which Seinfeld episode is that? I've seen all of them and don't remember that!
Elaine bids on a bag of JFK's golf clubs against some other woman she hates. She was supposed to use the money from Peterman for some other item I think. Details are sketchy at best but I remember the golf clubs
04-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
From 1999-2003 there was an amazing supply of seemingly un-touched exceptional lenses on eBay. * lenses unbid at starting prices of $199 - things like a A*85/1.4 or A50/1.2 sat there unbid (and unsold at KEH).

If you got a complete camera bag with a K2 or KX and some lenses, you could redo the seals, break it up and make a profit. John O'Connell is still selling 4-8 lenses a week that he bought a decade ago.

Then in 2003 the *istD was released . . . . and the lens inventory cleared, as did the supply of clean film bodies.

For a time in 2006 and 2007 prices were decent - we all had our lenses.

Now the K-7 and K-x have captured consumers' imaginations.

IMHO the market is similar to late 2003 and 2004. New Pentax users have entered the secondary lens market and are bidding prices up - they're still better prices than new.
You make a very good point. I never thought that the awsome sales for the K-x would end up effecting older lens prices. However, after you mentioned that it all made sense. When I first got into pentax I loved buying the older lens as they were cheaper and somewhat better quality. I just never connected the two until now.
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
Ira
Inactive Account

Prices have changed in the eBay Pentax compatible world over the last year or so. Every lens below, except the kit lens were, were bought on eBay, and while I overpaid a bit on many, I wanted them.

But since I bought my last eBay lens a year ago, the prices have gone through the roof.
04-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #27
Banned

ive gotten amazing deals on ebay for multiple brand new in box takumars. I may have overpaid in the eyes of most, as takumars are supposed to be had on the cheap, but I got good deals in the big picture. ultimately you pay what you are willing to pay, the thing is, you dont realize what you are willing to pay until its all done.
04-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Every lens below, except the kit lens were, were bought on eBay, and while I overpaid a bit on many, I wanted them.
As of this moment I must ask, WHAT lenses below? Your sig has disappeared.

QuoteQuote:
But since I bought my last eBay lens a year ago, the prices have gone through the roof.
Yes, prices of everything EXCEPT WHAT I WANT TO SELL!!! Everything I'm thinking of listing is still about worthless. [grumble bitch whine moan groan]
04-11-2010, 02:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I just recently sold two Bolex lenses for 3x of what I paid for and that's not to mention that there are tons of oil on the aperture blades that I've freely detailed. Had there not been oil on the blades, it would have gone 4x. Meanwhile, my Bolex body has decreased in value by $150 or so when it should have remained steady. The reason? Some Chinese company made a bolex to micro 4/3 adapter. Wish I had more money back then to stock up on more Bolex lenses. They used to be cheap at $100-200 (25mm f1.4). $400 would have gotten you the top of the line lens. Now the prices are through the roof and nobody can afford to shoot with Bolexes anymore, hence the drop in body prices.

I heard the Russian K-3 movie film cameras had a K mount and could accept Pentax lenses, sucks for the K-3 users.
04-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #30
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote

I heard the Russian K-3 movie film cameras had a K mount and could accept Pentax lenses, sucks for the K-3 users.
I have the K3 in M42 mount, and it also comes in a bayonet mount.

But not Pentax K.