Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #16

Original Poster
Yes that is it! i just checked by pushing the lever and randomly it will not close all the way it needs a little push.. How can I fix this? take it apart? mineral oil or something? canned air?

04-11-2010, 04:17 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by leadguitarest Quote
Yes that is it! i just checked by pushing the lever and randomly it will not close all the way it needs a little push.. How can I fix this? take it apart? mineral oil or something? canned air?
You would need to take it apart and clean the blades. This isn't a task for everyone. You would need to Google for instructions for your specific lens.
04-11-2010, 04:42 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
You would need to take it apart and clean the blades. This isn't a task for everyone. You would need to Google for instructions for your specific lens.
That is, as they say, a NON-TRIVIAL TASK. Given the quantities of 28/2.8 lenses available (I have nine, costing US$3-30 each, average US$19), it might be better to replace the oily Focal, use it for burning ants or throwing at unruly Scientologists.
04-11-2010, 05:44 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That is, as they say, a NON-TRIVIAL TASK. Given the quantities of 28/2.8 lenses available (I have nine, costing US$3-30 each, average US$19), it might be better to replace the oily Focal, use it for burning ants or throwing at unruly Scientologists.
Or burning unruly Scientologists?

But I agree. If it's a cheap lens, forget it. If it's a Vivitar 24 f/2 then get working.

04-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leadguitarest Quote
Non-Pentax lenses usually have a two-step aperture linkage so the manufacturer can make them for several different mounts. If you take the mount off you can see where the linkage has too much friction or not enough spring pressure or something. Here's an example of one mechanism. The aperture lever on the outside is connected to this chrome ring, held by three brass standoffs. There's a spring here too. The part that sticks up moves a second lever and spring connected to the aperture blades. For this lens, I used a drop of sewing machine oil on each brass standoff to help the chrome ring turn easier.

04-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #21

Original Poster
Sweet maybe Ill burn ants.. lol Ive been researching wider lenses.. I kinda want to get a takumar... Are those all pretty good?
04-11-2010, 09:21 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're talking about the M42 Super Takumars or the SMC Takumars, yes, they are good. In my experience anyway. I'm going to echo the earlier advice. Get the real Pentax adapters. Pentax USA carries them and has them in stock. Cheaper than you'll find them on ebay for some reason. You should consider the cost of going cheap third party here, when you have the unpleasant experience of one getting stuck.

FYI, The problem with cleaning the oil from aperture blades is that it isn't just on the edge of them but it's spread out across the blade. So even when you get the part of it you can see, oil still remains on the blade and will quickly re affect it. As someone who has spent a lot of time cleaning Leaf Shutters, dismantling the aperture to clean it is not for the faint at heart. To do a completely effective job of it, you have to remove the blades and get the oil off of each one. Then put it all back together. The blades are in there in a woven pattern (on some lenses/shutters) and putting them together is like compressing a car spring into a pill bottle.

Best to avoid it all together if possible.

04-12-2010, 04:47 PM   #23

Original Poster
Ok, So I think I did good... I took all the advice I got on here and went to a pawn shop and found a asahi super-takumar 1:1.4 50mm for $19!! Is that a good deal? It is in great condition! everything is snappy nothing in the lens as far as I can see... I want to use it now!!!! But no where has a K mount adapter.. What should I get and where are they the cheapest?

04-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #24

Original Poster
Oh yeah I was at the same store and I found a vivitar 35mm for $30??? I did not get that one.. would that be a deal? I cant remember the type it was.. But it had two f stop rings.. one that would snap into place.. And the other would just be a smooth push or pull so you could go half way between 4 and 5.6 if you wanted to... Anyways thats as best as I can remember.. it was a 2 or 2.5 maybe 2.8 something around 2.. Anyways let me know if i should buy or pass and wait for another super takumar!
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I am not an expert on that Vivitar lens but think it is overpriced relative to a $19 Super-Tak... which I would buy on sight!
04-12-2010, 07:56 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I am not an expert on that Vivitar lens but think it is overpriced relative to a $19 Super-Tak... which I would buy on sight!
Agreed! Grab that SuperTak before it migrates!

The Viv has what's called a preset aperture. You set the clicky ring to the smallest f-stop you think you'll use, turn the loose ring to wide open, focus, close the loose ring down to that aperture, meter, and shoot. That sounds clumsy but it isn't really, it's just not elegant. It's handy (for the lensmaker) if a lens might be used with different mounts on different camera systems with different stop-down mechanisms. Think of it as the basic default.

But while some old German and Russian preset lenses are really good, old Viv presets aren't, necessarily. Especially not at that price. Asahi / Pentax / Takumar, and Isco, Meyer, Enna -- if you saw those names on a 35/2.8 or even 35/3.5, grab it at US$35. Jupiter, Mir, Mamiya, Yashica, Fuji -- grab those at US$25. At least, *I* would.

For more on thrift- and pawn-shop lenses, see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html
04-12-2010, 08:58 PM   #27

Original Poster
Thanks, I got the 50mm takumar! But I'll leave the 35 vivitar.. Thanks agian!
04-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #28

Original Poster
OK! Today I bought a 200 f4, 135 f3.5 and that 50 f1.4 that I got the other day.. can I input the mm of the lenses I am taking pictures with to keep track of them in apature
04-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Oh I'm jealous that you got the 135mm, I've been wanting that lens for such a long time. Let me know how you like it! Post some samples from it too.
04-13-2010, 05:51 PM   #30

Original Poster
Its great I am posting some pics here soon