Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by leadguitarest Quote
It used to ask me every time I turned on the camera now it doesn't.. how do I get it to ask that again..
If SR is turned off, the camera won't ask. No need to since there is no need for the camera to compensate for movement. Also check for drive modes that automatically might turn off SR, such as remote. Also note that the camera will not ask for a FL with F, FA, DA, DFA, or any of the variations of those type lenses. SR is also turned off in B mode, Wireless Flash mode (Why, I have no damn idea!), and a few other modes. So first, I would make sure it (SR) is on and if not, find out why.

04-15-2010, 10:23 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The camera should ask for focal length when you turn it on if there is a manual lens attached and SR is turned on. And at any time, you can enter focal length via the menu (it's the last item of the main "rec" menu on other models; not sure about K-7). The value entered is onyl recorded in the EXIF is SR was on when you took the picture.
04-16-2010, 03:21 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The camera should ask for focal length when you turn it on if there is a manual lens attached and SR is turned on. And at any time, you can enter focal length via the menu (it's the last item of the main "rec" menu on other models; not sure about K-7). The value entered is onyl recorded in the EXIF is SR was on when you took the picture.
Going into the menu to change the SR's FL always seems to me to be the hard way. Much easier just to flick power off and on when changing manual lenses, and be queried. Fewer finger-strokes required that way. Also, I have the cam set to do a sensor dust-shake whenever it's power-cycled. Hmmm, is there any chance of wearing out the dust-shake mechanism by utilizing it too often? Am I inadvertently shortening the K20D's usable life?
04-16-2010, 09:50 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Doubtful that a few dust cleaning cycles a day would cause problems. I always turn the camera off to change lenses too - it's also supposed to be better in terms of not attracting dust. But in case for whatever reason one needs or wants to, I wanted to make sure the OP knew he could enter focal length later. BTW, it's not always obvious to everyone, but having the SR menu last in the menu means it's really only three keystrokes away: menu, up, right.

04-17-2010, 08:57 PM   #50

Original Poster
I didn't know it was shake reduction that did that.. lol This whole time I had it off.. Thanks