Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 07:17 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sure the kit lens is good, for when you do not need much DOF control and have lots of light. It can take great photos in those circumstances.

The DA16-45 is even better, giving 2mm more in the wide end while being sharper in the corners and faster. Maybe PopPhoto gives it an A+++

When people talk of the kit not being so good, I think they are generally doing so in comparison to other lenses, not as an absolute statement. But then again, there are those who just don't know.

04-11-2010, 07:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

To demonstrate the kit lens.

Riverside Flats

04-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

I have no problem with plastic lenses, but there is something nicer about manual focus with a metal lens.
04-11-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
Pentaxian

For some of us plastic will just never feel right!

04-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I used my kit lens regularly for nearly 3 years and produced many a print for very satisfied customers. The only reason I am not using the lens today was due to a rather funny accident I had last year where I backed into an electrified horse fence during a senior photo shoot.

I was so surprised at the familiar feeling in my legs (I'm an electrician's son who played with dad's tools one too many times) that I threw myself over the low fence backwards in an effort to get away. I landed ungracefully on my back and although the camera never left my hand, the lens landed straight into the soft dirt. We all had a good laugh and went on about the shoot.

The lens hasn't focused right since and although I want to get it repaired, the cost of doing so would probably be the same as me purchasing v2 of the same lens.

So that incident aside, I can certainly vouch for the quality of that lens.
04-11-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Sure the kit lens is good, for when you do not need much DOF control and have lots of light. It can take great photos in those circumstances.

The DA16-45 is even better, giving 2mm more in the wide end while being sharper in the corners and faster. Maybe PopPhoto gives it an A+++

When people talk of the kit not being so good, I think they are generally doing so in comparison to other lenses, not as an absolute statement. But then again, there are those who just don't know.
Yes. that is the most basic reason, not because it is really a horrendous lens. it is far different from a bad lens or a dud. it is good, but just not at par with other better lenses. also the need for such a better lens should be taken into consideration as well.
04-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

...all this talk about plastic is bringing back memories I wish I didn't have to think about ever again.

Guess its time to make an appointment with my therapist again.
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
The only issue I have with your post is that you say "that everyone despises" referring to the kit lens, when in fact one thing that is generally agreed upon is that the Pentax 18-55 is the best kit lens in the business and a pretty good lens in it's own right.
Re-read the first post. I said, "...that so many despise". I'm quite aware that it's widely considered the best kit lens around, period. I'm responding to those (often newcomers) posting on these forums that "I just bought a K-kk and I know the kit lens SUCKS", or "I can't get any pictures as sharp with the sucky kit lens as I did with my old Coolpix", and then asking what they should buy now.

By all means, they should buy more Pentax lenses! Keep Pentoya management and shareholders happy! Buy a new lens every month, sell last month's on Craigslist! Help the economic recovery by spending more money! Ignore those sterling pictures posted here that were shot with the kit lens -- those are just flukes! Buy! Buy! Buy!

I have no intention of inhibiting capitalism.

04-11-2010, 10:54 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Actually the Canon 18-55mm classic and the Nikon 18-55mm classic are really highly regarded lenses too though. They weren't at the time, and I suppose that it might just be a nostalgia thing.
04-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
By all means, they should buy more Pentax lenses! Keep Pentoya management and shareholders happy! Buy a new lens every month, sell last month's on Craigslist! Help the economic recovery by spending more money! Ignore those sterling pictures posted here that were shot with the kit lens -- those are just flukes! Buy! Buy! Buy!

I have no intention of inhibiting capitalism.
Me neither, since the only way it will fail is through a super-abundance of use, a complete exhaustion of all meaning through replication, a total implosion of the economic.

Or, as the man said: "I've got one word for you, son. Plastics!"
04-12-2010, 09:17 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
...as the man said: "I've got one word for you, son. Plastics!"

That quote entered my mind as well!

Steve
04-12-2010, 09:29 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
They were low on ink that day. They had to abbreviate everything.
nope, that's not it.
I'm a big Pearls before Swine fan, and I learned on that, that they occasionally run out of letters. So they have to leave them out
04-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #28
Ira
Inactive Account

How many remember the REALLY good old days, when lenses were made of bark?
04-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
How many remember the REALLY good old days, when lenses were made of bark?
They still are. Where do you think is the source of the cellulose used in optical plastics and resins? That's right, tree bark. Bark from the Pacific Yew tree, to be specific, from Oregon, the same source as the anti-cancer drug Taxol. The Pacific Yew is endangered; when it's gone, no more optical plastic! No more Holga lenses no lightweight superzooms! And you can't blame spotted owls.

I suggest that we start grinding our own lenses. It's easy: melt some sand, pour it into a mold, let it cool, then get out the Emory cloth and start polishing. It's good meditative work. You can chant a mantra while polishing: OWA TAGU SIAM. OWA TAGU SIAM. OWA TAGU SIAM. OWA TAGU SIAM. OWA TAGU SIAM. OWA TAGU SIAM.
Like many of the Upper Class
He liked the Sound of Broken Glass
--H.Belloc
04-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #30
Pentaxian

As someone that has quite a bit of injection plastic and mold making experience I can tell you that the issue isn't one of metal over plastic or vice verse. Of course metal feels good and the material and machining are more costly. I think the real issue is mold design for the plastic cased lenses. If it is engineered well there is no reason why a plastic tube can't feel and perform well and have great glass elements. The fine focus ring on my cheap Cosina has great feel. I am totally in love with the design on my metal construction old school Schacht Travenar 90 which has sharp images,great color rendering and is extremely compact-no longer than my SMC 50.