Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 15mm or DA 35mm macro

Hey everyone, I'm stuck deciding which prime to go with. The price of the 35mm is cheaper, and the make more sense as a walk-around lens, also the macro feature will come in handy during certain situations. But I already have several prime lens in the 28-50mm range, just ones not as good. I do not have a wider prime and was wondering what you guys here think would be a better lens.

Thanks

04-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, do you want a wide angle or one sort of like what you have?
04-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Then go with the 15mm. If you get the 35mm you're going to like it and all but it won't really be enough of an improvement over your existing lenses for you to really appreciate it.
04-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Eagle_Friends Quote
Hey everyone, I'm stuck deciding which prime to go with. The price of the 35mm is cheaper, and the make more sense as a walk-around lens, also the macro feature will come in handy during certain situations. But I already have several prime lens in the 28-50mm range, just ones not as good. I do not have a wider prime and was wondering what you guys here think would be a better lens.

Thanks
Both are great lenses but worlds different. The 35 does make a great walk around lens and is always attached to one of my cameras. Macro is nice to have but unless you can get VERY close, not as useful as it may seem. The 15 is great if your thing is street and landscape photography. It allows you to both get close and get the spread out vistas (though I've not done much landscape with mine yet). If you're looking for a real suggestion, here it is. If you have a 35 or close to it in your kit that you're happy with, go with the 15. Speaking as someone who has multiples in several ranges, nice to have all of them but not necessary. For instance, Since I got the 15, the DA14 just sits.

04-12-2010, 01:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Both are great lenses but worlds different. The 35 does make a great walk around lens and is always attached to one of my cameras. Macro is nice to have but unless you can get VERY close, not as useful as it may seem. The 15 is great if your thing is street and landscape photography. It allows you to both get close and get the spread out vistas (though I've not done much landscape with mine yet). If you're looking for a real suggestion, here it is. If you have a 35 or close to it in your kit that you're happy with, go with the 15. Speaking as someone who has multiples in several ranges, nice to have all of them but not necessary. For instance, Since I got the 15, the DA14 just sits.

that's a whole lot of lenses you have there in your sig. do you use da 35 the most?
04-12-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
that's a whole lot of lenses you have there in your sig. do you use da 35 the most?
There are more.. I kind of rotate through the less than 55mm lenses on my K7. Right now the 12-24 is on it quite a bit, probably because it's the newest for me. In general though, the DA35 is my go to lens. Wide enough for most things and sharp enough at distance to be useful. The FA limited lenses are currently in my Film camera bag, in case you're wondering why not the FA31ltd. Had the FA35 f2 but sold that last month to help cover the 12-24 cost. Too many lenses, too few hands, too few eyes, and too little time.

04-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks
The 35 is a magic lens, it really is But if you're not set on the particular characteristics of the 35 right now (I think it has a really specific feel to it), I'd say get the 15 now, the 35 later. I have the DA 35 and the 14, and as much as I find the special qualities of the 35 seductive, I'm finding (much to my surprise) that ultra-wide is a fabulously useful focal width. I've been shooting everything from semi-macro flower shots to portraits to landscapes to sightseeing landmarks. I haven't found anything that wiiiiiiiiiiide angle doesn't make better ;D

04-12-2010, 11:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I recently acquired a DA 14mm and absolutely love it but I have already decided that my next lens will be the 35mm (I'm just trying to hold off a bit longer).
04-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The best three prime combo right now, IMO, and something to collect towards:

DA 15ltd
DA 35ltd
FA 77ltd

04-13-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

DA 15ltd
DA 35ltd
FA 77ltd

And may I be the Nth person here at the forums to say, Damn you jsherman because you've got me lusting after exactly that 3-prime combo? I don't think I'll be able to justify affording the 77, but I'll certainly get my paws on the DA70 eventually
04-13-2010, 12:12 PM   #11
MSM
Veteran Member

Thanks
Go with the 35 mm. It is a wonderful lens. No disrespect to the 15 mm. Members like Jay here make it look great (much to the rest of our demise ). Really, though, you have to know how to use it and compose properly. There is a reason that you have 'several prime lens in the 28-50 range...' That is where you like to shoot. The highlighted portion of your post says it all. If you have a kit lens that goes down to 18mm, do you wish to go wider for your shots? Fill your needs now. That is not to say that in the future you won't want/need a WA. But, if you want to start to build a collection of great lenses that cover the types of photography you shoot, go with the obvious one you will definitely use the most-the DA 35 mm Limited. I rest my case.
04-13-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
MSM
Veteran Member

DA 15ltd
DA 35ltd
FA 77ltd

Ah yes, the trinity of Pentax limiteds. Well, I have 2/3 of the set. I just love the optics, size, weight and all with built in hoods. Your mind-control thread has almost made me rethink the 15 mm. I actually rented this lens when it first came out. At the time, I had metering issues that tainted my opinon on the lens. (the metering issue was more related to my K10d set up at the time with my Katz eye screen.)
04-13-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Site Supporter

DA 15ltd
DA 35ltd
FA 77ltd

I'll second this even though I personally run DA 21mm ltd, DA 35 ltd, and FA 77mm ltd with either the FA 50mm f1.4 or A f1.2 sometimes along. I also sometimes here a soft voice in the wind say '43' . . .

Edit: I informally shot an event for work last week and I went with the 21 (k200d) and 77 (k20d). I had the DA 35mm as the backup.
04-13-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
MSM
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I'll second this even though I personally run DA 21mm ltd, DA 35 ltd, and FA 77mm ltd with either the FA 50mm f1.4 or A f1.2 sometimes along. I also sometimes here a soft voice in the wind say '43' . . .
I also heard the soft voice in the wind...and answered the call
04-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I also heard the soft voice in the wind...and answered the call
When I go towards the voice . . . I here one rustling in the leaves saying '15' so I wonder back the other direction . . .