Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm Heartbroken Oil on the Blades A-50mm Macro F 2.8

My favorite lens the A 50mm 1:2.8 Macro was pulled out of its case today for a shoot and I am heartbroken. It was fine last time I used it a few days ago.

I noticed when opening the aperture slight oil starting to show on the blades. I have been using this lens for more than 30 years and remember going with out food or gas for my car for a weeks time just to buy it.

Oh well she's still clear silky smooth in operation but having the thought of this lens starting it's demise just breaks my heart. It has been an absolute sweetheart of a lens.

04-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Oh no! I'm so sorry that has happened to it. Do you have a strong emotional attachment to this one in particular, I mean I know it won't be the same, but you can probably find another one on PF's marketplace for a lot cheaper than you originally paid for it, will be better than nothing. Or maybe you can find a way to fix it?
04-11-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Why not send it in for some TLC? If it's just oil, it can be cleaned off. Since the lens will be taken apart anyways, you could have it re-lubed.

I bought a Vivitar lens that had an unbelievable amount of oil on the blades, and I sent it in for repair. Good as new.
04-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is a $50 fix. You should do it before the oil gets on the glass, then it's over.

Try Ralph Innes, he's extremely affordable and very very good at what he does.
Repair Resources & Rates

04-11-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You might try the fix and learn something in the process.
If it were AF, then I think I would not have the gall to even open it, but with MF, that's a whole different story.
04-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm sorry to hear about this. I too have many old lenses and would be heartbroken if one began to go. However, this does sound fixable and I would contact Eric on this forum to help you out.
04-11-2010, 07:50 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Check with Eric Hendrickson - a forum member and honest repair guy . He's listed in the links section.

04-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
This is a $50 fix. You should do it before the oil gets on the glass, then it's over.

Try Ralph Innes, he's extremely affordable and very very good at what he does.
Repair Resources & Rates
QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Check with Eric Hendrickson - a forum member and honest repair guy . He's listed in the links section.
Both Ralph and Eric are reviewed in the Camera Repair section.

Ralph is en excellent lens technician. Eric is just the best Pentax tech out there - he can CLA your lens and reset everything to factory spec. - probably necessary after 30 years.

Eric Hendrickson - Pentax Camera Service
04-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Wow!,,

Got to love you all for such an honest response

Having intentions of looking in to this post a few days later and having just looked at it before going to bed.

My sincere thanks to all of you.

So if I understand correctly this lens has a chance of possible repair?

It would be most appreciated for this lens just started showing signs of oil and the development is in its early stages.

My hands at 50 plus years old can not handle a repair in any way.

If someone could expand the Eric repair option it would be so much appreciated.

Hugs to all of you and thank you for your very kind and honest replies.

Last edited by Indecent Exposure; 04-11-2010 at 09:17 PM.
04-11-2010, 09:29 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
Wow!,,

Having intentions of looking in to this post a few days later and having just looked at it before going to bed.

It would be most appreciated for this lens just started showing signs of oil and the development is in its early stages.

Anything can be cleaned and repaired. I've been doing Medium and Large format leaf shutters for years (for hire). No real experience with Pentax lens apertures though but if you can get it refurbed at a reasonable rate, definitely worth doing.

04-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The traditional first response to a new member goes something like this:

Dear Indecent Exposure: SO sorry to hear the sad news about your fine Pentax lens. It is ruined forever and cannot be repaired.

I guess our loved ones all take their final path eventually. We all, as PF members understand your grief and support you.

In fact, why don't you just send your lens over to me and I will see that it retires in a gracious, pleasant and happy repose.

Of course we wouldn't do that to you.

Here's the LINK to the Repairs section, where you can read about Ralph, Eric and others we recommend from personal experience (we have no money interest in these reviews).

To use Eric, you send him an email describing your problem. He will reply, usually "Send it on."

When he gets your lens he will evaluate the problem, email you a quotation to repair it and ask for a payment in advance by PayPal. If you want the repair, you pay. If you don't want the repair,you don't pay - and he SENDS THE LENS BACK TO YOU AT NO CHARGE. How's that for a deal?

Cleaning a lens usually doesn't take long.

Click the link in the prior reply and read his website. He's a straght shooter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Indecent Exposure Quote
Wow!,

04-11-2010, 10:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Heh, I suppose our mean spirited honesty (well maybe not mean spirit, but definitely realistic) can help out a lot sometimes.
04-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

sorry to be ignorant, but can someone post a pic with first traces/signs of oil on blades? Just to know what to look out for...

Thanks
04-12-2010, 12:16 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I'm also wondering what the oil on the blades can do that is bad for the lens. I guess having anything wet inside a lens would be bad, and that's kind of a dumb question, but I'm just wondering what effects it can possibly have on it.
04-12-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
sorry to be ignorant, but can someone post a pic with first traces/signs of oil on blades? Just to know what to look out for...

Thanks
Not a pic, but a sign of oil on the blades is they don't close as fast, or all the way.