Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2010, 02:31 PM   #16

you can't go wrong with most pentax limiteds so what it really comes down to is price and preference. some people prefer lens X over lens Y but that doesn't make X better than Y

that said, for "candid" photography i recommend the da40 because it's so tiny and inconspicuous. with the whisper-quiet K7 shutter it makes for a great combination.

good luck and have fun!

04-20-2010, 03:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
If you still want a/the 40, see if you can locate a Pentax M40 f2.8. They may be slightly different but from what I've read, same basic optical formula as the DA40
Similar, but not the same, and definitely nowhere near as good as the DA40 by all reports I've seen. Plus with the M you give up one of the most outstanding features of the DA40 the fact that it is about the fastest focusing lens ever made for Pentax - and replace it with one of the hardest to focus lenses ever made for Pentax. While I'm as big a fan of manual focus lenses as they come, in this case, I think you're giving up too much just to save a bit of money. For the same money as the M40/2.8 (about $150) I'd take a faster M35/2, an easier to use A28/2.8, or, since one of the expressed interests is portraits, an M or A 50/1.7 (with money leftover).

But since the OP wants AF, it's kind of moot. The decision between the 35 and 40 is going to be very subjective and personal, even not considering price. The 35 has the advantage of macro, obviously, and some find it a more useful focal length overall. The 40 has the advantage of size, weight, and AF speed - and some find *it* the more useful focal length (particularly for candids/portraits).
04-20-2010, 04:09 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is why I chose my wording the way I did. I did not want to imply that the two lenses were 'the same', I know they are not. Having stopped my DA limited quest with the DA35 f2.8, I haven't felt the need to own the DA40, f2.8. At one time I did agonize over the 40 vs 43 decision though and the 43Ltd is the only FA limited lens I've purchased New. I had the M40 at one time and frankly didn't care for the Pancake-ness of it. Too small for my liking but as a focal length, it worked pretty well as a general use lens when wide was too wide and 50 was too long.

I'd be surprised to find a manual 35mm f2 for $150 or less but I guess they are out there. Those f2 wide angle lenses of all flavors seem to be commanding a pretty high price these days.

You are right though, one criteria is AF so it's a moot point in this discussion.

04-20-2010, 04:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

see my signature!

In my opinion, FA Limited Series will not lead to any regret.

04-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Well, looking at US prices (Adorama) the Limiteds shape up like this:

DA40: $340
DA15: $500
DA21: $510
DA35: $540
DA70: $550
FA43: $580
FA77: $785
FA31: $965

The only one within your budget is the DA40. And they are all good lenses. Ipso facto.
The DA21 can be found for ~$400 used in good shape. I agree that it is very hard to go wrong with any of the Limiteds. Given that the subject is people, the DA40 would be my recommendation. Dave
04-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I'd be surprised to find a manual 35mm f2 for $150 or less but I guess they are out there. Those f2 wide angle lenses of all flavors seem to be commanding a pretty high price these days.
That's just about what they go for on KEH.com when they show up in BGN condition (in other words, what the typical Ebay seller would call "practically mint"). And that's not an uncommon occurrence, although the only one there now is an EX+ copy for twice that price.
04-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
That's just about what they go for on KEH.com when they show up in BGN condition (in other words, what the typical Ebay seller would call "practically mint"). And that's not an uncommon occurrence, although the only one there now is an EX+ copy for twice that price.
I guess I should have qualified that.. Point taken.

04-21-2010, 07:44 AM   #23
Veteran Member

At the price point the OP is working with the DA40LTD will not disappoint for starters. A great lens that can always be taken along due to its small size.

04-21-2010, 08:06 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sagar Quote
Thanks Folks, I have more or less short listed 35mm macro or 40mm now have to decide between them
I love my DA35 Limited, I almost forget to use my other lenses since I got the DA35 for Christmas. I don't have the DA40, so I can't compare directly, but of course that's a lovely lens too, and you will get in touch with other photographers who wonder what kind of funny camera you're using (actually, I've got comments from other DSLR users when I use my K10D with the DA70 - like "is that a DSLR or something else?").

Speaking for the DA35: (1) the closeup/macro function, and (2) the focal length, which is very close to being a classic normal lens on a K-7 (while the DA40 is in in-between territory between normal and tele).

(Two of my PPG entries, "The Frozen Stare" and "Ice Cold Afternoon Magic", were shot with the DA35 shortly after I got it, see the link in my signature)
04-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #25

K-7 + 40mm is all you need, ever , but seriously, that's akin to a classic Leica street photography setup.