Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ELICAR MACRO MC 90mm f2.5 lens

Is anyone familiar with this lens? How is the IQ? I have a chance to pick this up for what appears to be a decent price. Any info is appreciated

04-12-2010, 07:53 PM   #2

From my post in:
-sold-items/65544-sale-[sold]-elicar-v-hq-90mm-f-2-5-1-1-macro-ka
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I can confirm that this lens was manufactured by Komine. It has two siblings in the 55mm and 135mm focal lengths. While the branded Elicar and Vivitar versions are the most common, it was also released under the Soligor and Panagor brand names. It bares no relation to the Vivitar S1 90mm or Tokina 90mm ("Bokina") as optical formula is quite different - no fixed rear correction lens element. Elicar V-HQ Macro was marketed heavily towards the science and medical (dental) industries during the early 80's.

This is an excellent lens. I have this Elicar version along with its little brother Elicar V-HQ 55mm Macro. Both are very VERY sharp lenses. What I really love about these two is the build quality. It's a very inspiring design. Very solid and heavy. (But not an ultra heavy build like the Kiron). Nice firm rotation. 90mm does more than a 360 degree turn to reach 1:1. The lovely green multi-coating renders a cool colour cast. A little soft at f/2.5, but becomes really sharp at f/4, even at infinity. Weakness: It's an older multi-coating; which makes it a little prone to flare. This (of course) isn't much of an issue with macro work - and on the upside is usually well controlled by it's very recessed front element. There is substantial amount of light fall off in macro mode. What's surprising is how well it excels as a telephoto lens. On film this was my favorite lens and focal length. It produced my best nature images. The bokeh at macro level is really something. Has a habit of producing a busy (but not harsh) bokeh. It's more a more painterly / pastel effect - which I find quite attractive. But it can do the buttery smooth thing as well. Did I mention that it is very sharp?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This lens is also in the lens review database:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Lens Review Database - 90mm f2.8 Macro

Last edited by tumbleguts; 04-12-2010 at 08:03 PM.
04-12-2010, 08:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I was confused about the connections between manufacturers Kino/Kiron, Komine and Tokina, and retail brands Vivitar, Panagor and Elicar. A little google search later, it looks like everyone else is confused as well.

What I have is the Panagor PMC 90mm f2.8 1:1 macro. It may be completely unrelated to the Elicar. I have always thought of it as a Kino/Kiron. It's a basic K-mount, stops down to f22, with 8 blades. Mine has dentist markings and came with a flash mount for dental photography. I like it a lot. I assumed that it was pointless to test its resolution on a 6Mp camera so I have never bothered. Its focus ring is stiff enough to give you a workout from 1:1 to infinity.
04-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #4

Hi Dave. I think what you have is a Kiron/Kino... see note below.

Description: S/N: 28XXXXXX (Komine)
Aperture range: f2.8 - 22
Optical construction: 6 elements, 4 groups
Angle of view: 27 degrees
Weight: 480 g (17 oz.)
Length: 89 mm (3.5 in.)
Filter size: 62 mm
Lens coating: MC (multicoated)
Minimum focusing distance from front element: 14.5 cm (5.7 in.)
Maximum reproduction ratio: 1:1 without adapters or other extenders
Note: In appearance, this lens looks very similar to the Panagor 90mm f2.8 Macro, which is made by Kino Precision.

04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tumbleguts Quote
My lens definitely does not have the same coating as you describe. It has a mostly yellow reflection, similar to what you see from a Super-Takumar.
04-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
From my post in:
-sold-items/65544-sale-[sold]-elicar-v-hq-90mm-f-2-5-1-1-macro-ka
"I can confirm that this lens was manufactured by Komine. It has two siblings in the 55mm and 135mm focal lengths. While the branded Elicar and Vivitar versions are the most common, it was also released under the Soligor and Panagor brand names. It bares no relation to the Vivitar S1 90mm or Tokina 90mm ("Bokina") as optical formula is quite different - no fixed rear correction lens element. Elicar V-HQ Macro was marketed heavily towards the science and medical (dental) industries during the early 80's.

This is an excellent lens. I have this Elicar version along with its little brother Elicar V-HQ 55mm Macro. Both are very VERY sharp lenses. What I really love about these two is the build quality. It's a very inspiring design. Very solid and heavy. (But not an ultra heavy build like the Kiron). Nice firm rotation. 90mm does more than a 360 degree turn to reach 1:1. The lovely green multi-coating renders a cool colour cast. A little soft at f/2.5, but becomes really sharp at f/4, even at infinity. Weakness: It's an older multi-coating; which makes it a little prone to flare. This (of course) isn't much of an issue with macro work - and on the upside is usually well controlled by it's very recessed front element. There is substantial amount of light fall off in macro mode. What's surprising is how well it excels as a telephoto lens. On film this was my favorite lens and focal length. It produced my best nature images. The bokeh at macro level is really something. Has a habit of producing a busy (but not harsh) bokeh. It's more a more painterly / pastel effect - which I find quite attractive. But it can do the buttery smooth thing as well. Did I mention that it is very sharp?"
Thanks for the info. It does have a flash attachment with it. Just not sure if the flash will work on the K7
09-13-2010, 01:01 AM   #7

Admiral/Panagor 90mm

Just to add to the confusion Panagor was sold also as an Admiral/Panagor 90mm (from what I found Admiral was a Swiss reseler). All other details are exactly the same like in tumbleguts’s post. Here you have few photo’s from an Admiral/Panagor http://artphoto.totalh.com/view.php? ; http://artphoto.totalh.com/view.php? ; http://artphoto.totalh.com/view.php?
If someone would like to know something more about this lens just let me know.

09-13-2010, 09:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

...Maximum reproduction ratio: 1:1 without adapters or other extenders
[B]Note: In appearance, this lens looks very similar to the Panagor 90mm f2.8 Macro, which is made by Kino Precision.[/B
]
This is definitely NOT the Elicar 2.5/90, as the Elicar only goes to 1:2 without its matched diopter lens. (The matched diopter brings it up to 1:1)

I do have the Elicar 2.5/90 Macro lens (it's sitting on my Olympus OM2n as we speak ) and it has given me some rather mixed results.

Some of my shots have been brilliantly sharp , others rather soft .

At this stage I'm putting it down to my (lack of) technique , but I'm hoping to improve with practice- that's why it's on the camera right now. Part of the problem is that I have been shooting entirely hand-held (camera shake) in somewhat breezy (subject movement) and relatively dull conditions (slowish shutter). I'm working on my technique and I hope my current exposures will produce more keepers.

There are some posts concerning the Elicar 2.5/90 in this thread (check out this link):

http://www.pentaxuser.co.uk/forum/topic/macro-21169/p-0

Last edited by Banjo; 09-13-2010 at 10:31 PM.
09-14-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Some might find this link useful on the Panagor 90 macro, same as Elicar:

Panagor 90mm f2.8 Macro PMC Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
09-14-2010, 04:45 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil1 Quote
Some might find this link useful on the Panagor 90 macro, same as Elicar:

Panagor 90mm f2.8 Macro PMC Lens Reviews - Pentax Third-Party Lens Review Database
No, they won't find it useful , as the Elicar only goes to 0.5x magnification unless paired with the matching diopter. So it can't be the same lens at all.

Sorry!
09-15-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I have owned the 90 Panagor and presently own a Elicar 90. I purchased the Panagor new years ago. They are esentially the same lens from Komine. The new Panagor as well as the Elicar are clearly marked on the barrels 1.1 at full extension and in fact reach 1.1 or very close without an auxillary lens or extension tubes. I believe you are thinking of another lens mfg. The 55 Elicar also goes to 1.1 whereas the 135 Elicar goes to 1.2 I have been led to believe.

Presently on Fleabay there is about 5 Elicar 90MMs of various mounts all billed as 1.1 with pictures. Ditto with a few Panagors as well as a few 90mm Vivitars.

Last edited by Phil1; 09-15-2010 at 01:12 PM.
09-20-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Banjo Quote

Some of my shots have been brilliantly sharp , others rather soft .

At this stage I'm putting it down to my (lack of) technique , but I'm hoping to improve with practice- that's why it's on the camera right now. Part of the problem is that I have been shooting entirely hand-held (camera shake) in somewhat breezy (subject movement) and relatively dull conditions (slowish shutter). I'm working on my technique and I hope my current exposures will produce more keepers.

macro

OK, I have put another film through using the Elicar 2.5/90 Macro, taking extra care over focusing etc and have to say -though somewhat finicky- the lens is very sharp at around f/11-16 and speeds in excess of 1/125th sec.

That is: it's very useable -even handheld- in bright light with not too much wind. Very satisfied with it.

(I'm only sorry I'm unable to post any actual samples))