Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot, with no aperture ring means no extension tubes unless you can source the extremely expensive and rare auto pentax ones. This is because 99% are manual and you need an aperture ring or you will be shooting wideopen no matter what. I shoot macro with extension tubes 80% of the time I take the sigma out. Yes you can buy cheap auto teleconverters but in my search for 3 cheap 2x auto TC's I've yet to get one on ebay. People have wised up to this long ago....
I wish Pentax would "get" what a big deal the lack of an aperture ring is to many of its loyal users--especially on a lens that covers full frame.

04-13-2010, 11:35 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Yeah, the DA* series is supposed to have better sealing. From the Pentaximaging site:

The DA* series
"The tightly sealed, weather-resistant and dust-resistant construction enhances durability for use in both rainy and dusty conditions..."

The WR series
"Weather-resistant to handle damp, inclement conditions."
Exactly. The press release for the lens describes WR as a lighter-duty weather resistant structure ("simple, water drop resistant" would be the direct translation.) It mentions rain, fog, and water splash, but not sand or dust.

It seems WR is becoming the second biggest confusion/misunderstanding, after the difference between * and Limited, due to language barrier.
04-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hey everyone, thanks for the input. I am not concern about the WR thing one bit, as I can't see myself taking any macro pictures in a dust storm or in the rain .

The bokeh on the WR looks quite good I have to say, but the price difference is just huge. Any more thoughts guys?
04-13-2010, 02:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I lust for the WR.

I want to stick it on my K20D and go crawling around in muck and mud, sand and foam, in duststorms and locuststorms and shitstorms and jello-wrestling tournaments. I want to get close up to the funky action.

I want to get into tidepools and sea-lion roosts and termite nests and decaying beached whale carcasses and Republican pr0n parlours and storm drains and the undersides of ostriches and emus and zombis.

There are some places you just can't go without weather sealing.
Wait a minute. Did you mention jello wrestling tournaments? May I be your assistant on those assignments?

04-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Any reviews on the Tamron? Not that I place a lot of confidence in PopPhoto, but their recent test of the Pentax shows distortion almost off the charts good.
Tamron Lens: Primes - Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro 1:1 SP AF (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

I had one and loved it, but it came down between it and the Bokina and the Bokina won out.
04-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

After looking at photos of both lenses I do the pentax is the better lens. It is more expensive because of the beautiful craftsmanship and the fact that it is WR, which is a real plus. If I were you I would definitely go for the pentax.
04-14-2010, 02:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IQ aside.. the WR feature will be handy if you find yourself often in situations where WR would be good...

Macro photography usually implies getting up close to stuff.. if you're getting up close to stuff in the dirt, sand... some forest.. whatever... WR is a good idea... and a worthy purchase...

But if you're just using the lens for portraits... there's no need... unless the people you're taking photos of sweat all over you... (uh, ew)

04-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
But if you're just using the lens for portraits... there's no need... unless the people you're taking photos of sweat all over you... (uh, ew)
It's not sweat from portrait subjects I'd worry about. It's the body fluids emitted during close-up shots.

[gross anatomical-physiological descriptions deleted]

[pr0n-shoot descriptions deleted]

[details left to your imagination]

I mean, when you're recording rutting oysters, you need PROTECTION.
04-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
For many years I've crawled thru jungles with my faithful body of the year, but always with my smc FA 100 macro attached. Rain or shine it has never failed, although often
wet. Now I've been looking to update this lens to a DFA 100. But the real question,
Is the DFA WR 100 better optically than the FA 100? Currently have a K-10D and will upgrade to K-7 or its replacement this year.
04-15-2010, 03:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It's certainly no worse. The only thing that keeps me from saying yes is that I haven't actually used either lens.