Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 09:42 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Cameta is still good, but they seem to have cut back on or dropped their inventory of Pentax gear.

04-13-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Cameta is still good, but they seem to have cut back on or dropped their inventory of Pentax gear.
I once tried to get the Sigma 24-60mm when it was on there for $200, of course now that I actually can they don't even have it.
04-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pete, its the old ebay trick. Seller hopes that potential buyer doesn't checkout the freight charges, till after committing to purchase.
My daughter collects old hat pins. Was expected to pay $84 postage on a hat pin from Europe.
04-13-2010, 10:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter

I bought by K20D off ProDigital2000 for something like $640 on Ebay a year or two ago to supercede my K10D. I can't say anything bad about them as the experience was good. As for Cameta they used to come down to our area (WDC) and participate in camera shows back in the 90's. One of the brothers died several years ago and they pretty much went to all Internet plus their store but I've had a good relationship with them in the past.
Kent Gittings

04-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Was expected to pay $84 postage on a hat pin from Europe.
For sure, that would have been a sticking point in negotiations...!

I think, in summary, that buyers in the US still get a pretty good deal from Prodigital2000 and similar sellers, but overseas buyers really need to look out closely for those exorbitant shipping costs.

As posted, I've ordered my DA15mm from Adorama, got good price, and as soon as it is in stock, they will send it for $52. End result should be about half of what that lens would cost here in Australia, even from one of the reliable online discount warehouses (Last I checked, the lens was listed at $Aus1343 at Digital Camera Warehouse).
04-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Pete, its the old ebay trick. Seller hopes that potential buyer doesn't checkout the freight charges, till after committing to purchase.
My daughter collects old hat pins. Was expected to pay $84 postage on a hat pin from Europe.
I just checked the UPS site for estimates on shipping identical items from Canada to USA (San Francisco, CA) and another from Canada to Australia (Sydney). The prices were $30 CAD to USA and $160 CAD to Australia. (This was shipping for a 5 pound item in an 8 inch square box.)

Assuming they actually use UPS, then it's not any trick where the seller increases profit by hiding cost in the shipping, but just the actual cost of shipping.
04-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
Is UPS the one making the big profit here? Does anyone else find these shipping costs absolutely ridiculous and blatant daylight robbery?
That will depend on where you are I believe. ProDigital2000 and 123easychip are the same company which is called Carman's Foto Source located in Ontario Canada. I discovered this when I purchased my K-m & DA14 from each of them. My 1st DA14 was defective and they were helpful and covered the returned shipping. Since I am located in Canada too, shipping was low, very low. My guess would be that their core business is within North America where insured shippings are reasonable. Once gone overseas, anything insured would be expensive. I know because I was once living in Melbourne, and their services and cost were much better than in Canada.
04-14-2010, 12:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Keep in mind that there is a final value fee in Ebay, which is about 9% of the final listing amount. However, shipping fees is not calculated as the 9%. Thus, it's an incentive for sellers to inflate listing fees to save on that 9%. They tend to make it very clear that they have a high shipping fee, so no one is misled. Also, sellers may not refund shipping fee if the customer returns it for whatever reasons. This acts as a restocking fee.

04-14-2010, 02:03 AM   #24
Inactive Account

If you think you are beeing ripped off for shipping check the Canada Post website for shipping quotes.

I just experimented with an 8" x 8" x 8" x 2lb package.
Australia - $80
California - $28 to $68
UK - $14 to $79

The camera bag you mentioned would be much larger in size and thus, more expensive to ship.

If you could just move Australia a bit closer to Canada everyone would be happy!

My humble suggestion for someone in your neck of the woods would be to find an Asian supplier.
04-14-2010, 05:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
If you could just move Australia a bit closer to Canada everyone would be happy!

My humble suggestion for someone in your neck of the woods would be to find an Asian supplier.
\

If the Pacific Rim earthquakes keep up the job they've been doing for the last couple of years, we WILL end up closer to Canada!

The camera bag can be purchased here in Australia for about $249 list price. But the lens is $Aus1343, so the one I'm getting from Adorama will be much cheaper. Including the shipping.

Just goes to show - check out all the variables before dropping the loot on a purchase on a whim, especially the shipping.
04-14-2010, 05:12 AM   #26
Pentaxian

They have the best price with the new DFA 100mm WR when it first came out...

I missed that! Wish I had got it that time around
04-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #27
Inactive Account

The Canadian dollar is at par with the US but the shipping is less from the US to the land of AUZ.

Good luck!
04-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #28
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
That's on par with the sellers who use to offer SD cards for a nickel and then charge $30 for shipping. Unless shipping is part of the actual price, ebay doesn't take commissions on the shipping. Only the final auction value. It's a practice that ebay has banned for that reason and the seller should have been reported.

QuoteOriginally posted by Derridale Quote
For sure, that would have been a sticking point in negotiations...!

I think, in summary, that buyers in the US still get a pretty good deal from Prodigital2000 and similar sellers, but overseas buyers really need to look out closely for those exorbitant shipping costs.

As posted, I've ordered my DA15mm from Adorama, got good price, and as soon as it is in stock, they will send it for $52. End result should be about half of what that lens would cost here in Australia, even from one of the reliable online discount warehouses (Last I checked, the lens was listed at $Aus1343 at Digital Camera Warehouse).
Glad you found your 15 at a price you can live with. Enjoy it. Pentax hit a home run with it in my opinion.