Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
PopPhoto didn't seem to think it was better than the Pentax.

Pentax DA 55-300mm HOW IT TESTED: Very strongly, with sharpness and contrast in the Excellent range, even out to 300mm. Maximum magnification is a satisfying 1:3.3, and distortion was extremely well controlled, earning our lowest rating (Imperceptible) at 55mm.

Sigma 70-300mm DG OS: We found Excellent SQF performance at 70mm and 200mm. Approaching 300mm, however, sharpness fell from Excellent through Very Good down into the Good range —not unusual in tele zooms at this price.
By far the least-pricey stabilized tele zoom, this lens will have a strong appeal to the budget-bound. Close-up fans will be more tempted by Sigma’s $210 70–300mm f/4–5.6 Macro zoom, with 1:2 magnification. The question is: How much are 1 or 2 extra stops of handholding worth to you?

Lens Test: Sigma 70?300mm f/4?5.6 DG OS AF | Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips

04-16-2010, 12:12 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Someone on this forum, actually. I guess I should have looked for a second opinion. So if you just turn the cameras Shake Reduction off, the OS will work instead? Maybe the person meant that you can't use them both at the same time, which would make a lot more sense. I assume that you can't use them both at the same time? That would be a little redundant, wouldn't it?
Yes, you turn off SR using switch on camera (or menu) and turn on OS on lens barrel.

And yes, they would produce blurred images when working together. So you can't use them both.

But again, SR doesn't help at long tele-photo (300mm and longer), neither it helps at short shutter speed (1/250 and shorter). I don't know about effectiveness of OS for short speeds, but it can at least provide comfortable tracking of subjects

The last question I must decide - whether to spend twice price ($455) for OS and wait for month, or buy Tamron without stabilization for $228 right now.
04-16-2010, 01:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
Yes, you turn off SR using switch on camera (or menu) and turn on OS on lens barrel.

And yes, they would produce blurred images when working together. So you can't use them both.

But again, SR doesn't help at long tele-photo (300mm and longer), neither it helps at short shutter speed (1/250 and shorter). I don't know about effectiveness of OS for short speeds, but it can at least provide comfortable tracking of subjects

The last question I must decide - whether to spend twice price ($455) for OS and wait for month, or buy Tamron without stabilization for $228 right now.
I would have to say that's where the lens based shake reduction systems really shine through is in situations such as 300mm, since they're built into the lens then they are much more effective there.

Well if you get the Tamron you have a camera body with stabilization built into it right? If you don't like it, then return it, and spend the extra money in a month on the Sigma lens instead.
04-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #19
Pentaxian

SR vs OS et al.

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
PopPhoto didn't seem to think it was better than the Pentax.

Pentax DA 55-300mm HOW IT TESTED: Very strongly, with sharpness and contrast in the Excellent range, even out to 300mm. Maximum magnification is a satisfying 1:3.3, and distortion was extremely well controlled, earning our lowest rating (Imperceptible) at 55mm.

Sigma 70-300mm DG OS: We found Excellent SQF performance at 70mm and 200mm. Approaching 300mm, however, sharpness fell from Excellent through Very Good down into the Good range —not unusual in tele zooms at this price.
By far the least-pricey stabilized tele zoom, this lens will have a strong appeal to the budget-bound. Close-up fans will be more tempted by Sigma’s $210 70–300mm f/4–5.6 Macro zoom, with 1:2 magnification. The question is: How much are 1 or 2 extra stops of handholding worth to you?

Lens Test: Sigma 70?300mm f/4?5.6 DG OS AF | Photography - PopPhoto.com Offers Camera Reviews and Exclusive Photo Tips
While I subscribe to (and actually read) PopPhoto, I'd hardly call it the home of scientific rigor. That's just not their approach.

I, too, would refer followers of this thread to Falk's discussion in the link above. His work, if not conclusive, is certainly strongly suggestive, evidence-based, and was conducted by someone who understands photography, technology, and the discipline of science. Best effort I've seen, by a long chalk. Thanks, Falk!

04-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
While I subscribe to (and actually read) PopPhoto, I'd hardly call it the home of scientific rigor. That's just not their approach.!
I find their SQF measurement corresponds better with users' opinions than Photozone's excellent technical reviews. I believe this is because PopPhoto's SQF factors in contrast, and the MTF measurement used by Photozone only looks at pure resolution. Which would help explain PopPhoto's rave review vs Photozone's lukewarm review of the very contrasty DA 55-300mm.

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I, too, would refer followers of this thread to Falk's discussion in the link above.
I had missed that somehow. Excellent indeed, and points to lots of areas for more research. Pentax SR performance with long lenses is very disappointing.
04-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me see if I have this straight. He's saying that as you approach 1/FL shutter speeds, that SR becomes less effective. If so, then all I have to say is no kidding, I wouldn't expect it to.

One big hole in any SR test I haven't noticed explained, is how exposure is maintained. If you are using a constant light source, then ISO or aperture must change with the shutter speed. That's enough right there to start skewing results.
11-27-2011, 03:40 AM   #22

Are there any new tests/reviews of this lens? There is only one review in the user database.

I wonder how this new version compares to the Pentax DA 55-300mm, since they are similarly priced.
(I got the impression that the Pentax lens is better than the earlier/cheaper two versions of the Sigma lens).

Also, I would love to see the comparison of pics made with this Sigma's lens when camera's SR is used and when lens IS is used.