Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Sigma 70-300mm/4.0-5.6 DG OS

Thread about Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 DG OS stabilized!

Does anyone have it? Or tested? How good it is?

I'm considering it as animal/wild-life tele zoom. Optical stab. will help a lot in tracking moving objects.

04-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless it's optically better (doubt it) than the previous version, I don't see OS giving a big (if any) advantage over SR.
04-13-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Unless it's optically better (doubt it) than the previous version, I don't see OS giving a big (if any) advantage over SR.
optical (lens based) stabilizer is known to be better at long tele range than sensor based ones. Also, it provides photographer comfortable tracking of subject without terrible shaking of picture in viewfinder.

Cheers

PS: I think I'll buy it. And report here the results and test shots. Some people on other forums reported it is much sharper that 70-300 lenses without OS.
04-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've actually been a lot more curious about the Sigma 50-200mm that was announced not too long ago but then never mentioned again. I would love to get that lens instead though.

04-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Well, the OS version has a different optical formula than the current APO version, so there is hope that it's in the same ballpark as the Pentax 55-300 in terms of sharpness.

Just from personal usage, I've found that P&S with OIS (Canon) gives better SR than CCD-shift IS (Casio, Fuji). However, watching the image floating around in the Canon's OVF made me vaguely seasick.
04-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
However, watching the image floating around in the Canon's OVF made me vaguely seasick.
Totally agree for wide-angle.
I looked through Canon 40D + 17-55/2.8 IS USM. It is terrible.
04-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The image quality should be fine. But I tend to agree that the OS won't do much. The two systems work about as well as the other.

04-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zebooka Quote
optical (lens based) stabilizer is known to be better at long tele range than sensor based ones.

(...)
Out of curiousity, are there tests that confirm this?
The common argument seems to be that "VR/IS/OS/VC is suited to the lens itself, and is therefore more effective", but I have yet to see some numbers backing this up.

Regardless, it's nice to have the option, as well as it makes it easier for Sigma to release K-mount lenses.
04-14-2010, 03:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by flippedgazelle Quote
Well, the OS version has a different optical formula than the current APO version, so there is hope that it's in the same ballpark as the Pentax 55-300 in terms of sharpness.

Just from personal usage, I've found that P&S with OIS (Canon) gives better SR than CCD-shift IS (Casio, Fuji). However, watching the image floating around in the Canon's OVF made me vaguely seasick.
So unless it's optically better than the 55-300, why fall into the Canikon trap of spending hundreds more for a lens that gives you the same 2-4 stops extra that SR does? The one review I read was pretty disappointed with the OS capabilities of this lens anyway.
04-15-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Yeah, I would have to say that the old Sigma 70-300mm lens might be an option too since you don't need the extra Shake Reduction, but I haven't really read any reviews about this lens so I don't know too much about the quality of it compared to the older one. The older one was nice and all about it really was just a beginners lens, not someone who would ever pixel peep.
04-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Yeah, I would have to say that the old Sigma 70-300mm lens might be an option too since you don't need the extra Shake Reduction, but I haven't really read any reviews about this lens so I don't know too much about the quality of it compared to the older one. The older one was nice and all about it really was just a beginners lens, not someone who would ever pixel peep.
The new one is sharper than old ones. It was shown on penta-club.ru
Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 DG OS - Форумы Пента-клуба

Also Optical Stabilizer is exactly what I need - I need stabilized picture in viewfinder for comfortable shooting.

Also Falk Lumo tested Sr here Falk Lumo: Pentax shake reduction revisited
It is not efficient at tele range as I've said.

Cheers
04-15-2010, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

The new one is sharper than old ones. It was shown on penta-club.ru
Sigma 70-300/4.0-5.6 DG OS - Форумы Пента-клуба

Also Optical Stabilizer is exactly what I need - I need stabilized picture in viewfinder for comfortable shooting.

Also Falk Lumo tested Sr here Falk Lumo: Pentax shake reduction revisited
It is not efficient at tele range as I've said.

Cheers
If you have a Pentax DSLR that has built in Shake Reduction then it's going to turn off the lenses OS anyways, so it's kind of redundant for no reason.
04-15-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You can use either (or even both).
04-15-2010, 08:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
If you have a Pentax DSLR that has built in Shake Reduction then it's going to turn off the lenses OS anyways, so it's kind of redundant for no reason.
Who told you this?
You can always turn SR off and use OS in the lens.
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Who told you this?
You can always turn SR off and use OS in the lens.
Someone on this forum, actually. I guess I should have looked for a second opinion. So if you just turn the cameras Shake Reduction off, the OS will work instead? Maybe the person meant that you can't use them both at the same time, which would make a lot more sense. I assume that you can't use them both at the same time? That would be a little redundant, wouldn't it?