Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Well, maybe that kind of communist crap talk flies up in Canada, but not in the rest of the free world.
actually it's because of the U.S. free world concept that got it into CAD $1 = US $1.00132 . and for that, we thank you. now we are free to buy 1 camera and 1 lens at only half the price than what is being sold here.

04-14-2010, 04:57 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Question: Why is so much Pentax forum bandwitdth taken up by people telling us to "just go out and shoot"? I seem to read that a lot, but I don't understand. If the people that post that believe it, shouldn't they be out shooting instead of suggesting those of us on the forums to stop talking about equipment, and just go shoot?

I wonder if I went to an auto enthusiast forum, if I would read suggestions that people stop talking about cars, and just go out and drive, or gardening enthusiasts just go out and plant, or radio control airplane enthusiasts just go out and fly.

I enjoy talking about gear on forums, more than I enjoy talking about pictures. That is just me, and something that I wanted to share...
Actually, perhaps it seems like that sentiment gets expressed repeatedly, but I'll bet that if we really count posts, far more bandwidth around here is spent on minute differences between lenses and bodies. It is not limited to this subject. Table tennis forums often use the most bandwidth on discussions of which rubber is fastest or spinniest among people (like me) who can't play worth a darn. Wine boards are full of discussions about wines that only a few of the participants have tried. Bicyclists are some of the worst at getting lost on how to shave an ounce or two off a $6,000 rig, while needing to ride 20 pounds off their own bellies. We all need some perspective on our avocations.

Once in a while we need a reminder of the goal here, for most--taking photos. Collecting is a legitimate hobby, but not art.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-14-2010 at 06:09 AM.
04-14-2010, 06:04 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
1 body, 1 lens.

Gone are the days of LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) I've stopped reading about the latest and greatest gear. Enough of the pricey 'legendary' lens hype and pixel peeping nonsense ...just stop the insanity! ;-) Don't get me wrong, photo quality is important to me. Just not at the low levels that are talked about in reviews and some forums. If the whole image looks good to you, that is all that matters. Just get out and shoot.

My answer is the K-x and DA40. I have not been hindered enough yet to regret not bringing my kit 18-55 lens along "just in case I need it". The DA40 continues to surprise me and it will be used until I find it limiting my photography. I find that not worrying about switching lenses or zooming in/out relaxes you into a more creative state. You start thinking about the shot more with one lens. You get more interactive and involved with the subject. Most importantly, you have fun. That is what photography is all about. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Sure, people have different needs in their photography pursuits. This is just the solution that fits me and something that I wanted to share.

My photos as of March 31, 2010 are just using the combo above. If you are interested, this is the gallery I have organized/made so far; 1 Body, 1 Lens Photo Gallery by ajuett at pbase.com
I'm with you ajuett. I did the same thing about 3 months ago - bought a K7 body (no kit zoom) and a DA35Ltd. I've literally never been happier with my photography. After 30+ years in and out of the hobby, this "kit" has completely re-energized me, and my results are better than ever.
04-14-2010, 06:22 AM   #34
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
actually it's because of the U.S. free world concept that got it into CAD $1 = US $1.00132 . and for that, we thank you. now we are free to buy 1 camera and 1 lens at only half the price than what is being sold here.
I'm a lousy economist--all I know is that after NAFTA, I started paying half for that great Canadian maple syrup. (No more from Vermont.)

But what are you saying--you pay more up there or less?

04-14-2010, 08:49 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I'm a lousy economist--all I know is that after NAFTA, I started paying half for that great Canadian maple syrup. (No more from Vermont.)

But what are you saying--you pay more up there or less?
we pay more. :ugh:
04-14-2010, 11:55 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
if I ever get the chance, I'd be more than willing to let you have a minute with a few of my lenses. then come back here and say what you think afterwards. I'm not helping, Am I?
I have gone through many lenses in the last 2-3 years and different cameras too. I think my list would take a whole page . I've been thought it all and now my current setup is the answer to my photographic needs.

Last edited by ajuett; 04-14-2010 at 12:00 PM.
04-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
Site Supporter

I've often wondered what that one lens would be for me.

I love shooting with my M28/3.5 on my K-7. That wide-normal combo appeals to me.

Two lenses? GeneV's idea of the DA21 and the DA70 seems real doable to me. (I've got the DA70 already.)

If I wanted the normal range and just one lens, I think I'd seriously consider the DA35.

Then again, I just got a Kiron 105 macro, so what am I talking about? (There may be one or two more lenses I'd pick up, but for now, I think I'm set.)

As it is, I do switch lenses a lot, depending on the circumstances. But there are times I leave certain lenses on the K-7 for a longish time. . . .
04-15-2010, 03:54 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Dad did great work for many years with just a Minolta Autocord TLR with a 75/3.5 lens, mostly using only Verichrome Pan (ASA 125) greyscale film. Sometimes he used the eye-level finder; mostly he just looked down at the groundglass screen. I've yet to reach his level of quality.

One camera, one lens. I should get that Autocord refurbed, or take the Yashica GSN RF (Color Yashinion DX 45/1.7 lens) out as my sole camera, or get another Olympus XA. I know I have too many lenses for my K20D. I really learned to shoot on an ancient German 1934 Kodak Retina I folder, the first 135 camera, with a 50/3.5 Schneider lens and all manual controls. Whatever I did with it, I can do with its newer clone, a Voigtlander Vito II. Zoom with feet; explore angles, perspectives, vantages. But the Yashica has Av automation and I'm lazy, so that's the better 1-cam-1-lens system.

Actually, 1-cam-1-lens has made a resurgence. It's called the phone.cam. Spend a few weeks just shooting with your phone. See if you improve.

04-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #39
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Dad did great work for many years with just a Minolta Autocord TLR with a 75/3.5 lens, mostly using only Verichrome Pan (ASA 125) greyscale film. Sometimes he used the eye-level finder; mostly he just looked down at the groundglass screen. I've yet to reach his level of quality.

One camera, one lens. I should get that Autocord refurbed, or take the Yashica GSN RF (Color Yashinion DX 45/1.7 lens) out as my sole camera, or get another Olympus XA. I know I have too many lenses for my K20D. I really learned to shoot on an ancient German 1934 Kodak Retina I folder, the first 135 camera, with a 50/3.5 Schneider lens and all manual controls. Whatever I did with it, I can do with its newer clone, a Voigtlander Vito II. Zoom with feet; explore angles, perspectives, vantages. But the Yashica has Av automation and I'm lazy, so that's the better 1-cam-1-lens system.

Actually, 1-cam-1-lens has made a resurgence. It's called the phone.cam. Spend a few weeks just shooting with your phone. See if you improve.
I was with you until the last little paragraph.
04-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #40
Pentaxian

...Actually, 1-cam-1-lens has made a resurgence. It's called the phone.cam. Spend a few weeks just shooting with your phone. See if you improve.
Your phone has a camera in it???

What will they come up with next? Video in DSLR's?
04-15-2010, 10:00 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Your phone has a camera in it???

What will they come up with next? Video in DSLR's?
Seriously!! All my phone does is hang up on people then yells profanity at them.
04-15-2010, 04:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
1 body, 1 lens.

Gone are the days of LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) I've stopped reading about the latest and greatest gear. Enough of the pricey 'legendary' lens hype and pixel peeping nonsense ...just stop the insanity! ;-) Don't get me wrong, photo quality is important to me. Just not at the low levels that are talked about in reviews and some forums. If the whole image looks good to you, that is all that matters. Just get out and shoot.

My answer is the K-x and DA40. I have not been hindered enough yet to regret not bringing my kit 18-55 lens along "just in case I need it". The DA40 continues to surprise me and it will be used until I find it limiting my photography. I find that not worrying about switching lenses or zooming in/out relaxes you into a more creative state. You start thinking about the shot more with one lens. You get more interactive and involved with the subject. Most importantly, you have fun. That is what photography is all about. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Sure, people have different needs in their photography pursuits. This is just the solution that fits me and something that I wanted to share.

My photos as of March 31, 2010 are just using the combo above. If you are interested, this is the gallery I have organized/made so far; 1 Body, 1 Lens Photo Gallery by ajuett at pbase.com
Nice gallery!

I can't say I want to possess 4 lenses like I do at the moment. I really need to trim my kit down to just M50 and DA40.
04-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
I was with you until the last little paragraph.
I was being sarcastic, sort of. I forgot to add the being-sarcastic-sort-of smiley.

Or was I? Sometimes I still go out with just my 1mpx Sony DSC-P20, with its fixed 6/4.5 lens (equivalent to 42mm in FF). It produces 912x1216 or smaller JPGs or TIFs or GIFs (animated, or 1-bit high-contrast still) in color or monochrome from its low-density low-noise sensor. I've shot many marvelous pictures with this little digi-antique. Normal lens, 15cm close focus, interesting modes, etc. Yeah, it's better than a phone.cam -- but those are improving, even if lacking some features.

So I'll hold that ANY practice shooting with ANY cam can improve your seeing, your ability to compose and capture images. Try it. Not to grab ultra-detailed macros or landscapes, just to build a gallery of snapshot-size pics, better than Polaroid quality, immediate, fresh, alive. It's yet another learning experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by KxBlaze Quote
Seriously!! All my phone does is hang up on people then yells profanity at them.
Funny. Mine just stays silent, mostly. That's because almost nobody has my number. It's better that way.

I just got it a couple months ago. I've spent years traveling around Central America without a cellphone. I figure, why let people interrupt me when I'm having fun? If anyone calls, it's usually with bad news. If anyone wants to get in touch, they can send email. It's easy to ignore email. I do it all the time.
04-16-2010, 02:09 AM   #44
Pentaxian

So I'll hold that ANY practice shooting with ANY cam can improve your seeing, your ability to compose and capture images. Try it. Not to grab ultra-detailed macros or landscapes, just to build a gallery of snapshot-size pics, better than Polaroid quality, immediate, fresh, alive. It's yet another learning experience.
Agreed.

[shameless plug] Let's start right away here: Point & Shoot Contest #30 - Colors [/shameless plug]
04-17-2010, 02:13 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I just got it a couple months ago. I've spent years traveling around Central America without a cellphone. I figure, why let people interrupt me when I'm having fun? If anyone calls, it's usually with bad news. If anyone wants to get in touch, they can send email. It's easy to ignore email. I do it all the time.
That's quite a story. Some people would want one travelling there for emergency assistance purposes.