Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I agree with the original post entirely. Everyone needs to get off their computers and go out and get shooting! Yeah, that's right! More photos! No more lenses! Spread the word!

(Doop de doop. Now let's see here, www-dot-ebay-dot . . .)

04-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I prefer 1 body, 1 lens at a time
04-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Question: Why is so much Pentax forum bandwitdth taken up by people telling us to "just go out and shoot"? I seem to read that a lot, but I don't understand. If the people that post that believe it, shouldn't they be out shooting instead of suggesting those of us on the forums to stop talking about equipment, and just go shoot?

I wonder if I went to an auto enthusiast forum, if I would read suggestions that people stop talking about cars, and just go out and drive, or gardening enthusiasts just go out and plant, or radio control airplane enthusiasts just go out and fly.

I enjoy talking about gear on forums, more than I enjoy talking about pictures. That is just me, and something that I wanted to share...
04-13-2010, 01:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Question: Why is so much Pentax forum bandwitdth taken up by people telling us to "just go out and shoot"? I seem to read that a lot, but I don't understand. If the people that post that believe it, shouldn't they be out shooting instead of suggesting those of us on the forums to stop talking about equipment, and just go shoot?

I wonder if I went to an auto enthusiast forum, if I would read suggestions that people stop talking about cars, and just go out and drive, or gardening enthusiasts just go out and plant, or radio control airplane enthusiasts just go out and fly.

I enjoy talking about gear on forums, more than I enjoy talking about pictures. That is just me, and something that I wanted to share...
obviously people are shooting, hence all the photo posting. this thread is about what to take out with you when you shoot. not interesting enough for you?

04-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
1 body, 1 lens.

My answer is the K-x and DA40.
Amen to that!

Although I chug along different glass depending on my application, I've found this combination to be the best I've tried ever.
04-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote

When you say waste of bandwidth I'm not quite sure what you mean. You could have chosen not to reply at all and saved more bandwidth if you were really that concerned. ;-)

When did I say stop talking about equipment, I didn't. I was suggesting people try 1 body & 1 lens, that is all. A different (not new by any means) idea, that is all, nothing set in stone.

The reason I like photography is 98% capturing moments and sharing them. Vastly more interesting than gear. 2% or less is about hardware, which, once you know the specs, performance what else can you do but use it ...which leads back to the purpose: taking photographs.

Enjoy.
04-13-2010, 03:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
1 body, 1 lens.
Not possible. I do sometimes shoot only with the fisheye, or the 500 (need practice with that one). I will sometimes walk around an area with one lens, change it, then walk around again for the different look.

04-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Not possible. I do sometimes shoot only with the fisheye, or the 500 (need practice with that one). I will sometimes walk around an area with one lens, change it, then walk around again for the different look.
That's really the way to do it.

No one is saying there's something wrong with just using one lens for a few hours, a day, 5 days.

But to confine yourself to one lens and deny yourself the personal pleasure and creative opportunities of pulling out additional lenses is more than just the wrong thing to do--it is a sin.

Have you finally come to your senses now and realize that resistance to LBA is futile?
04-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I agree with the original post entirely. Everyone needs to get off their computers and go out and get shooting! Yeah, that's right! More photos! No more lenses! Spread the word!

(Doop de doop. Now let's see here, www-dot-ebay-dot . . .)
Thats what I do, all I use are old pentax MF lenses. You don't see me complaining about the shots I get because I just go out and do the best I can everytime.
04-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #25
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Thats what I do, all I use are old pentax MF lenses. You don't see me complaining about the shots I get because I just go out and do the best I can everytime.
But you said lenses, plural.
04-13-2010, 04:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I could live with one lens on one camera, just give me a 5.5 - 5000mm f1.4 lens, on a nice full framed camera and I'm one happy camper
Just kidding, I've shot months at a time with one prime on one camera. However you'll rarely find me with less than 2 lenses with me.
04-13-2010, 05:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've shot that way with that particular combo quite a few times. It is very compact and sharp.

But it only takes a little more room to put the DA21 in your pocket...and the DA70, ... (oh well)
04-14-2010, 01:51 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You're probably one of those guys who's satisfied with just his wife, too.

Your type makes me SICK!

I agree. You are SICK. That's one weird association to make.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

But to confine yourself to one lens and deny yourself the personal pleasure and creative opportunities of pulling out additional lenses is more than just the wrong thing to do--it is a sin.

Have you finally come to your senses now and realize that resistance to LBA is futile?
Not convinced about the "sin" part but let's not have that discussion here - there is another forum for that

I do agree about the resistance to LBA being futile, though.
There is a cure however:
  • set-up a budget line,
  • make a list of the lenses you want or like,
  • balance the two
  • buy.
There. Done.

Hope this helped
It did the trick for me...
04-14-2010, 02:00 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
1 body, 1 lens.

Gone are the days of LBA (Lens Buying Addiction) I've stopped reading about the latest and greatest gear. Enough of the pricey 'legendary' lens hype and pixel peeping nonsense ...just stop the insanity! ;-) Don't get me wrong, photo quality is important to me. Just not at the low levels that are talked about in reviews and some forums. If the whole image looks good to you, that is all that matters. Just get out and shoot.

My answer is the K-x and DA40. I have not been hindered enough yet to regret not bringing my kit 18-55 lens along "just in case I need it". The DA40 continues to surprise me and it will be used until I find it limiting my photography. I find that not worrying about switching lenses or zooming in/out relaxes you into a more creative state. You start thinking about the shot more with one lens. You get more interactive and involved with the subject. Most importantly, you have fun. That is what photography is all about. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Sure, people have different needs in their photography pursuits. This is just the solution that fits me and something that I wanted to share.

My photos as of March 31, 2010 are just using the combo above. If you are interested, this is the gallery I have organized/made so far; 1 Body, 1 Lens Photo Gallery by ajuett at pbase.com

if I ever get the chance, I'd be more than willing to let you have a minute with a few of my lenses. then come back here and say what you think afterwards. I'm not helping, Am I?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 04-14-2010 at 02:06 AM.
04-14-2010, 02:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

One lens for one body can work if the situation is right... don't you just hate it though if by some chance you notice a fantastic shot that would be better with a different focal length?

This would be especially true if you're using a prime.

But i wouldnt go so far as use the super telephoto zooms... 18-250mm is just a bad idea... too general and too multipurpose... sorta like having a swiss army knife as thick as your arm when you just want to open a can of beans...

which as previously mentioned, i think using the DA40 and having something like the 55-300 "just in case" isn't too bad of an idea... plus the 55-300 aint too heavy :P (yes, i like my 55-300 and will use any moment i can to make other people get one)