Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2007, 08:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax FA* 80-200mm f/2.8 ... but at that price ???

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So someone took a buy it now price @ $1900 from a seller who has some and has ruined it for the rest of us. A question to the food member here... Are they really worth that?

I know more aren't being made, and I'm usually one to be a member of the more money then brains club too, but still. For one, I dont' know if it's new or used (yes, I'll ask). Either way, I won't know if it was a "bad copy" returned to the mfgr. and just re-released on surplus. I've seen them sell in the $1200 range, and $1600 range, from that seller and others.

Should I feel like a turd if I were to meet that asking price as well, reinforcing a 'bad precident', or is that an 'honest' price I should feel comfortable in paying? I know there are many of those in the know here, so hoping you can take the time to share.

Thanx much,
-steve

07-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
that is what i have been seeing them for if you can find them. look at the = in cannion and nikon there in the same range maby a bit higher
07-20-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess I'm thinking in relation to the Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 with VR built-in that can be had new with full US warranty for about $1600 range new from B&H Photo.

So when you're saying that's what you see them going for, you mean $1900 or the other prices? ( because I also saw it go for $1200 and $1600 too recentlly )

Last edited by m8o; 07-20-2007 at 09:31 AM.
07-20-2007, 09:27 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
So someone took a buy it now price @ $1900 from a seller who has some and has ruined it for the rest of us. A question to the food member here... Are they really worth that?
Put simply: yes!

Back when these were still in production, the 80-200's cost between $1300 and $1400. Now that they're so hard to find, though, prices have skyrocketed, and auctions around the $2000 range souldn't be a big surprise.

The lens delivers such crisp and sharp photos that it's become my second most-used lens, following the 85mm, which beats it because of its smaller size.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2007, 09:40 AM   #5
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. Very definitive. If I learn I can't be sure to get the Sigmas by the end of this month, I'm going to be force to pull the trigger, even at almost 2x more...

I believe you have experience with the Bigma and/or 100-300 f/4 from some of your postings? Hoping you can add and relate to this Pentax using a TC of 1.4x or 2x. When I use the Pentax w/a 1.4x TC (will buy a Pentax TC) it'll be close in focal length and speed to the Sigma 100-300 f/4. But I'm assuming you'll say there's still no comparison btw'n the Sigmas to IQ of the FA* + TC? (I figure I can have two or three lenses in one with that super hi quality FA* and TCs. Hope this isn't mis-guided)

This may be a shot in the dark, but do you or anyone know how the quality of the FA* with a Bower 2x will be related to the Bigma on the long end? Or should I buy a different 2x TC? (going to Tanzania and need something long and kinda fast ... well, as fast as I can afford, which is pushing it with that FA* and all else I've spent.) I am trying to acquire a 1.7x AF but for another reason/use.

Last edited by m8o; 07-20-2007 at 09:49 AM.
07-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I see that another star FA has been posted on e-bay for right at 2000.00 at the buy it now price. I guess if the market will sustain it that will be the price.And for those who really want one that is what it will evidently cost. It is truly a sellers market when it comes to high quality glass for pentax cameras.
Kenn
SEE~~>
smc Pentax FA Star 80-200mm f/2.8 ED IF Excellent+ on eBay Digital Camera Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo
07-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KennJ Quote
I see that another star FA has been posted on e-bay for right at 2000.00 at the buy it now price. I guess if the market will sustain it that will be the price.And for those who really want one that is what it will evidently cost. It is truly a sellers market when it comes to high quality glass for pentax cameras.
Kenn
SEE~~>
smc Pentax FA Star 80-200mm f/2.8 ED IF Excellent+ on eBay Digital Camera Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo
That's the one I'm talking about. You can look @ past sales and see it's went for cheaper, then someone selected the buy it now, and this was listed $80 higher after that closed. I actually started bidding on that @ minutes after it was listed after 2am my time, then realize it was a 10 day auction!!! If I won, I very likely may not have received it before I had to leave for Tanzania. I asked that my bid be cancelled and the seller promptly and thankfully did.

07-20-2007, 10:46 AM   #8
Inactive Account

There is also a sigma 80-200 2.8 up for bid but it does not have a buy it now price so it may not be in your time frame.
Have you checked all the smaller stores for something that will fit your needs ?
Often they have a few of this and that when the larger guys are in a hold pattern .
Kenn
see~~>
SIGMA 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG for PENTAX k10d k100d on eBay Digital Camera Lenses, Lenses Filters, Cameras Photo
07-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Thank you. Very definitive. If I learn I can't be sure to get the Sigmas by the end of this month, I'm going to be force to pull the trigger, even at almost 2x more...

I believe you have experience with the Bigma and/or 100-300 f/4 from some of your postings? Hoping you can add and relate to this Pentax using a TC of 1.4x or 2x. When I use the Pentax w/a 1.4x TC (will buy a Pentax TC) it'll be close in focal length and speed to the Sigma 100-300 f/4. But I'm assuming you'll say there's still no comparison btw'n the Sigmas to IQ of the FA* + TC? (I figure I can have two or three lenses in one with that super hi quality FA* and TCs. Hope this isn't mis-guided)

This may be a shot in the dark, but do you or anyone know how the quality of the FA* with a Bower 2x will be related to the Bigma on the long end? Or should I buy a different 2x TC? (going to Tanzania and need something long and kinda fast ... well, as fast as I can afford, which is pushing it with that FA* and all else I've spent.) I am trying to acquire a 1.7x AF but for another reason/use.
I've mainly been using the K 500mm with the 1.4x-L and the FA* 300mm/2.8 with the 1.7x-F converters, so I can't tell you too much, but I'll let you judge the FA*'s quality yourself

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/6796-bird-snaps.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-20-2007, 02:22 PM   #10
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
.... yes works well ... and how! very very kewl!

I took a look @ the exif. I love that focal length is properly calculated allowing shake reduction to work properly. Question about the aperture displayed, say on "the little guy" of f/4.5. So was that the lens wide open @ 2.8, with the 1.7x decreasing aperture and properly feeding it to the camera, adjusted, or did you have the lens on f/4.5 actually, but had to meter it as f/7.5? Not sure if I'm clear with what I mean; certainly not sure if I know enough to ask the question correctly. Thanx for the info again,
-steve
07-20-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

M80, in case you are concerned about that seller (Matsuiyastore), I've bought several * lenses from and they have all been in super condition. They were able to expedite the shipment from Japan of the last one I bought and I received it in the US within a week of my purchase. Yes, their prices are not the cheapest but they are a reliable outfit and I can highly recommend them.
07-20-2007, 05:28 PM   #12
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanx very much James. That's valuable and comforting info. I just wish they'd accetp less then their current ask. I haven't gotten over that yet; I might, but I'd certainly hope they bite and accept my offer first. (I imagine you got them for a much better price? PM me if yo'd be willing to share but don't want to publish it publicly.)
07-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm away from home and don't have my records; IIRC I paid about them about $2850 for the A*600/5.6. I don't recall what I paid for the FA*300/2.8 but it was in the same ballpark. Both were worth the price IMO. Their service was excellent and so was their communication with me.
07-21-2007, 03:56 AM   #14

Second Chance

That Sigma 70-200mm auction on eBay. He said
"I would say this is your last chance to get this lens for it will soon be discontinued because it will be replaced by a macro version which is said to be inferior compared to this version."

He is correct but also, you need to be aware that Sigma has just finished a production run of this lens in All mounts. I have ordered one and it is has been shipped. Not bad for a lens that is no longer in production.

So if you are looking for the Sigma Lens, then ask you supplier to check with Sigma for new lenses in stock.
07-21-2007, 04:34 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I know more aren't being made, and I'm usually one to be a member of the more money then brains club too, but still. For one, I dont' know if it's new or used (yes, I'll ask). Either way, I won't know if it was a "bad copy" returned to the mfgr. and just re-released on surplus. I've seen them sell in the $1200 range, and $1600 range, from that seller and others.

Should I feel like a turd if I were to meet that asking price as well, reinforcing a 'bad precident', or is that an 'honest' price I should feel comfortable in paying? I know there are many of those in the know here, so hoping you can take the time to share.

Thanx much,
-steve
Actually $1900 is a pretty good price in today's market. Lately I've been seeing them go for between $2400 and $2700.

That lens is one of the most sought after FA*s, and fairly rare. You can not apply pricing logic to this lens for any auction.

Frankly, if I'd seen it for that price, I would have seriously thought about replacing my Sigma 70-200 Ex with it - and the Sigma is an outstanding lens. It's just that FA*80-200 is that much better.