Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 02:58 PM   #1

beginner's questiona bout screw mount

Hello people of Pentax forum.
On a quest to purchase a Super Takumar 50 mm (f1.4),
I found a seller which would meet required settings.

However, there seems to be some confusion about what
is actually being sold. (?)

Item is described as being a "Pentax Screwmount". Does this
mean it has a M42 mount? (so I can use it with an M42 adaptor
if needed to be used with non Pentax-camera)
Or can this mean it's also a K- or M-mount? (I didn't know them as screwy mounts)

By the way has anyone of you ever thought about the word "Pentax"
and how it sounds like something you'd pay when purchasing a
classic writing device?

I'm a fan of Super Takumar,
nice to meet you.

04-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you need a m42-k mount adaptor to use it and yes, you can use it with any mount that you can get a m42-x adaptor for!
04-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by PentacoS Quote
Hello people of Pentax forum.
On a quest to purchase a Super Takumar 50 mm (f1.4),
I found a seller which would meet required settings.

However, there seems to be some confusion about what
is actually being sold. (?)

Item is described as being a "Pentax Screwmount". Does this
mean it has a M42 mount? (so I can use it with an M42 adaptor
if needed to be used with non Pentax-camera)
Or can this mean it's also a K- or M-mount? (I didn't know them as screwy mounts)

By the way has anyone of you ever thought about the word "Pentax"
and how it sounds like something you'd pay when purchasing a
classic writing device?

I'm a fan of Super Takumar,
nice to meet you.
If I understand your post correctly, you don't know exactly what it is your are buying. There are a few different types of screw mounts. If the lens is in fact a Pentax Super Tak 50mm f1.4, then it is an M42 Screw Mount. If it is NOT a Pentax or Takumar, be aware. Another flavor of screw mount is a T mount. Physically, it looks about the same size as the M42 but the threads are different and not interchangeable. If you have an M42-x brand mount adapter or a camera to mount the lens on (Pentax, Fuji, Mamiya and others made M42 capable cameras), I suggest you have it on hand to test it.

"Pentax Screwmount" is a sometimes generic term from those who don't know. Not saying that is the case here, but make sure of what you are looking at.

Good luck and welcome...

04-13-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

If it's a pentax Super Tak and they say M42 or screw mount, you're good to go, with a simple M42 to PK (Pentax K mount) adapter.

That's the versatility of owning Pentax--all of the old glass can be used on modern cameras.

How much for that lens? Around $75?

04-13-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The M42 lens mount was developed in Germany after WWII. It was first used in the Zeiss Contax S. The East German branch of Zeiss became Praktica. In Japan the M42 is called the Praktica thread mount. It is also called the Universal thread mount or Universal screw mount. In the US the M42 was popularized on the Honeywell Pentax so it is called Pentax screw mount.

The Tamron T2 mount also uses a 42mm thread but is not interchangeable.
04-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
Andrew: thanks!

JeffJS: you understood me correctly! thanks for advice of clarity, made my mind very clear.

Ira: yes, around $75, deal will be made a seal tomorrow. I don't have a Pentax camera myself (my sister does have a very nice one though), and I'm actually looking into purchasing canon EOS camera. But it's certainly nice to use old lenses (in my opinion)... I don't come from a background of doing a lot of lenses stuff (although I did enjoy analogue photography until 2009 (Ie, never got a digital camera until now)), but it still very much interests me to use these fantastic classical lenses.
Since I started learning about lenses I became a (beginner-)fan of classic Pentax lenses, esp The Super Takumar (50/1.4). I've never held one in my hand (as of yet), but from looking at other people's work, there seems to be a bit of magic going on.
04-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The M42 lens mount was developed in Germany after WWII. It was first used in the Zeiss Contax S. The East German branch of Zeiss became Praktica. In Japan the M42 is called the Praktica thread mount. It is also called the Universal thread mount or Universal screw mount. In the US the M42 was popularized on the Honeywell Pentax so it is called Pentax screw mount.

That's some interesting stuff I didn't know since before, thanks!
04-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

You're not buying this to use on your Canon, are you?

04-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
You're not buying this to use on your Canon, are you?
or Nikon? :ugh:
04-14-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I sense some brand angst above.

The dreadful truth is, Super-Takumar screwmounts or *ANY* M42 or other screwmount lenses can be used on Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Konica, Minolta, Fujica, Chinon, Miranda, Ricoh, Petri, Leica, Zenit, or a zillion other makes of SLR.

Pentax is the Universal Donor of the life-blood of photography. But not vice-versa. This causes many Pentax owners great pain and anxiety. THEY'RE TAKING OUR LENSES!! It's even worse than kicking their dogs or marrying their sisters.

Pentax lenses are just too damn good.
04-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I sense some brand angst above.

The dreadful truth is, Super-Takumar screwmounts or *ANY* M42 or other screwmount lenses can be used on Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Sony, Konica, Minolta, Fujica, Chinon, Miranda, Ricoh, Petri, Leica, Zenit, or a zillion other makes of SLR.

Pentax is the Universal Donor of the life-blood of photography. But not vice-versa. This causes many Pentax owners great pain and anxiety. THEY'RE TAKING OUR LENSES!! It's even worse than kicking their dogs or marrying their sisters.

Pentax lenses are just too damn good.
I dont have a problem with that. just assuming the OP wanted to use a Pentax lens on a different mount, which I believe is his intention. heck, I wouldn't mind using it on a Sigma camera as well. Foveon is great, but I just wish that they have an FF offering as well.
04-14-2010, 05:07 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Lang Quote
you need a m42-k mount adaptor to use it
Assuming, of course, that he wants to use it on a Pentax DSLR or some other K-mount body. There are those of use who happily use them on our Spotmatic and pre-Spotmatic Pentax film cameras.....no adapter necessary. A very huge caveat is that the 50/1.4 should NEVER be mounted on certain film bodies which predated the introduction of the 50/1.4, as the lens protrudes far enough into the body to interfere with the mirror.

I would like to encourage our new friend to spend a little time wandering through the popular and very active The Takumar Club thread.

Last edited by Mike Cash; 04-14-2010 at 05:13 AM.
04-14-2010, 06:35 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
.....no adapter necessary. A very huge caveat is that the 50/1.4 should NEVER be mounted on certain film bodies which predated the introduction of the 50/1.4, as the lens protrudes far enough into the body to interfere with the mirror....
As a Pentax owner with Nikon camera too, I would point out that most nikon/pentax adapters with corrective lens will not permit the 50/1.4 full extension for the same reason noted above. Also the non-lensed adapters render the 50/1.4 unuseable - focus distance is 2-3 feet. I was fortunate to find a corrective adapter that would support the 50/1.4 full extension but it was not very satisfactory wider than f5.6.

Canon would, almost for sure, have the same problems.
04-14-2010, 06:47 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote

Here's my Contax D with a Super Tak on it. The D was the successor to the S in the early 1950s. Of course I have to use it in the manual (M), since it doesn't have the auto aperture nor does it have the instant return mirror. But it does have the pentaprism and m42 a.k.a. Praktica mount.

04-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Speaking of Praktica . . . here is one also with the m42 mount.