Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
28mm Push/Pull-type zoom

I am looking for a push/pull-type zoom lens with the minimum focal distance of 28mm. Pentax or 3rd party (Preferably Vivitar, Tokina, Soligor) I have not come around any. Suggestions?

Thanks!

04-13-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pyra_ohms Quote
I am looking for a push/pull-type zoom lens with the minimum focal distance of 28mm. Pentax or 3rd party (Preferably Vivitar, Tokina, Soligor) I have not come around any. Suggestions?
As in, you want a lens suggested?
Or as in, you want a lens offered for sale?

I have one of each. My Takumar-A 28-80/3.5-4.5 isn't the greatest, doesn't exactly get rave reviews here, but it's handy to have on my ZX-M film camera, where it serves as a utility lens.

What I have for sale is a Zykkor 1-Touch Macro 28-080/3.5-4.5, all manual K-mount, 72mm filter thread, weighs 410g. It might be made by Tokina, I'm not sure -- I haven't been able to learn much of it. It's cosmetically great, optically decent, I just don't have use for it -- I've got other lenses that cover its range. I'd sell it for US$25 plus shipping. Pictures available on request.

28-80 was the 135/FF equivalent to 18-55 on on dSLRs. I can't advise on any others.
04-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Vivitar series 1 70-10 (first three versions) fit your bill, snice they have good macro capabilities. You would be happy with either one. I've owned the v1 for a time and loved it.
04-13-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The Vivitar series 1 70-10 (first three versions) fit your bill, snice they have good macro capabilities. You would be happy with either one. I've owned the v1 for a time and loved it.
If you mean the 70-210mm how does it fit the bill if the OP asked for a zoom from 28-to-something range??

You didn't state how long the long end should be. If it doesn't have to be a "super-zoom" then Vivitar (Komine-made serial 28xxx...) Series 1 2.8-3.5/28-90mm gets my vote. It's pretty fast with nice sharp rendering. Only downsides are some CA wide open and it's not really a zoom but a vari-focal lens so the focus needs to be adjusted after zooming. I've had one for about about a month and haven't really used anything else in this focal range ever since.

04-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
If you mean the 70-210mm how does it fit the bill if the OP asked for a zoom from 28-to-something range??
Yeah, I meant the 70-210. Somehow I understood that the OP wanted a zoom with close focusing capabilities, not a zoom starting at 28 mm of focal length. My bad.
04-14-2010, 01:28 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you for replys. I am looking for a alternative to a 35-70mm range, but with 28mm as lowest fosal length. Maybe 28-80 if there are such a lens constructed. The 70-210 does not fit unfortunatly. And Rico: Im looking for a lens suggestion, but i am also looking for a push-type lens where you zoom by pulling the barrel away from you, and focusing by turning the same barrel.

Thanks
04-14-2010, 07:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pyra_ohms Quote
Rico: Im looking for a lens suggestion, but i am also looking for a push-type lens where you zoom by pulling the barrel away from you, and focusing by turning the same barrel.
The Takumar doesn't fit your needs then, as two rings on the barrel must be handled, one each for focus and zoom. Most short zooms seem to be like this.

The Zykkor DOES fit your needs: push and pull to zoom, twist to focus, all one-touch. I've seen that one-touch ability in longer zooms, but never in another this short. It does have two thin rings: one to set aperture, the other to switch from distance to macro. What it calls 'macro' is 1:5 so its close-focus is about 14cm. I found very little mention of it online, just comments that Zykkor IS NOT trash.
04-24-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Rico: Thanks for the tip! I will look into it. As you i have not seen much of the one-touch action on smaller zooms. I had a Vivitar 35-70 manual lens which had just the right size, but now im looking for a 28mm short zoom with A-setting.