Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

aha sigma 10-20 f3.5 HSM issue

having ordered a sigma 10-20 f3.5, a few days ago, i was looking on

Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd

and saw this
Quiet and fast AF
This lens incorporates HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor), which ensures a quiet and high-speed auto focus as well as full-time manual focus override by rotation of the focus ring.*
* AF will not function with Pentax ist* series and K100D DSLR cameras that do not support HSM.

to my horror, i saw a section of small print i had not seen on any other website before hand. seeing that my camera is a istDL, i now figure that it will not autofocus. i spent atleast an extra 100 pounds to get the faster version of the lens, with a better focusing motor, and now i find that i wont even be able to use it!

please tell me i am wrong!!!
although im pretty sure im right.
i had been thinking about a new body, but im money-less after this lens so...

04-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately you are right
If it's UK and thanks to provided link I assume it is, just return it within 28 days (that's normal time, but check with Sigma on their policy) from purchase, and they should credit you full amount. Or just swap it for the older (f4-5.6) version, which by most account has better IQ anyway.

Thing with SDM/HSM is that it's supported only by K100D super, K10 (firmare 1.03)/20 and newer bodies....

good luck
04-14-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
If it's UK and thanks to provided link I assume it is, just return it within 28 days (that's normal time, but check with Sigma on their policy) from purchase, and they should credit you full amount. Or just swap it for the older (f4-5.6) version, which by most account has better IQ anyway.

Thing with SDM/HSM is that it's supported only by K100D super, K10 (firmare 1.03)/20 and newer bodies....

good luck

yeah i got it from amazon, and i found just now that they have a 7days return policy from when it gets delivered. its not even arived yet though so thats no problem really. once i get the money back i suppose i will order the old version.
gah! what a pain.
yeah after reading a comparison between the two (after i ordered it), it was pretty evident (from various images) that the new one had rather bad CA around the edges at 10mm compared to the old one. suppose i should have researched it better before hand

edit: 7 days to return a mistake purchace, 30 days for faulty stuff
04-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
yeah i got it from amazon, and i found just now that they have a 7days return policy from when it gets delivered. its not even arived yet though so thats no problem really. once i get the money back i suppose i will order the old version.
gah! what a pain.
yeah after reading a comparison between the two (after i ordered it), it was pretty evident (from various images) that the new one had rather bad CA around the edges at 10mm compared to the old one. suppose i should have researched it better before hand
yeah, that's always good thing to do before you buy lens....
I know, I learned it your way

04-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The cameras that support SDM is K100D Super and the K10D with firmware 1.30 (not 1.03) and the latest after that (K20D, K200D, KM/K2000, K-X, K7).
I own the old Sigma 10-20mm and it is very good.

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote

good luck
04-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just reject it at the door and have the UPS/FEDEX return it to them free of charge. They will refund you once they receive it. Meanwhile, order the one that works on the istDL. Simple.
04-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran Member

In practice, the 10-20mm (without the HSM/SDM) has immense DOF at f/8 anyway.
You may end up with sharp pictures even if you forget to focus
04-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Send it to me. I'll send you one of the non HSM F4 versions at no cost to you;-)

04-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Keep the lens but dump that obsolete *istDL...
04-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
that's not a bad idea too

and sorry for the compatible firmware version mix up, I meant 1.3
04-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I would recommend that you get something like the K100D Super (which does support HSM motors) if you want to get another cheap camera like the *ist DL, it's basically the next update from it, and if you get that camera I'm sure you won't regret it.
04-17-2010, 01:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
yeah i was going to leave that untill the next body comes out. hopefully it will have a top lcd, be grip compatable, have a dedicated battery and iso performance on par with kx. also i was going to stick with the dl becasue i dont think there is anything wrong with it. maybe if it breaks i will feel better about spending 800.

the way that i see it is that i am not a professional , and i dont tend to print bigger than A4. i dont need a camera with 14 megapixels - it will just fill up my computer. also i dont tend to use many settings on the DL (not that there are a lot), so am unlikely to use many on a new camera- expecially when i am swamped with them.

also, i am about to go to uni, and an extra 700ish off money for going there will put me in even more debt. i will probably ask for a new body as a graduation present off my parents (hopefully they wont be completly sick of throwing money at me!!)

edit: also, if i do get a new body, the i will want it to be current, and the best i can get so that i dont feel that i could have had something better
04-17-2010, 02:12 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
... once i get the money back i suppose i will order the old version. ...
What about waiting a bit and getting the new 8-16mm?
04-17-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netrex Quote
What about waiting a bit and getting the new 8-16mm?
i would have to wait, and also it loks like it will hsm as well. and it costs a bomb
04-17-2010, 02:55 AM   #15
Veteran Member

As said before, DOF at short focal lengths are so large that 'zone focussing' by the distance scale should be enough. At least an allright solution if you plan to upgrade the body to a SDM/HSM-compatible body somewhere in the future.