Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The point is that if the lens is out of whack, its out of whack. The attitude that people never notice problems with lenses or lack of sharpness etc. before digital is silly and you know it.
This is absolutely true, but at the same time, since we all got digital cameras and gained the ability to look at every individual "grain" in our images, it's become a lot easier to find flaws that wouldn't register in a normal print.
Note that this is a generalization, and is not directed specifically to this thread, though my wording looks otherwise, but it is also entirely possible that if the OP was a film shooter who never made prints bigger than 4x6 or never looked at slides with more than an 8X loupe, it is within the realm of possibility that he would never have known that his lens had a problem.

The method of viewing has to be included in this sort of discussion because it has everything to do with how we perceive our equipment.
As a total non sequiter, I sometimes wonder if the horrid increase in lens prices we are seeing is due in part to pixel peeping.

04-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
This is absolutely true, but at the same time, since we all got digital cameras and gained the ability to look at every individual "grain" in our images, it's become a lot easier to find flaws that wouldn't register in a normal print.
Note that this is a generalization, and is not directed specifically to this thread, but it is also entirely possible that if the OP was a film shooter who never made prints bigger than 4x6 or never looked at slides with more than an 8X loupe, it is within the realm of possibility that he would never have known that his lens had a problem.

The method of viewing has to be included in this sort of discussion because it has everything to do with how we perceive our equipment.
As a total non sequiter, I sometimes wonder if the horrid increase in lens prices we are seeing is due in part to pixel peeping.
Pixel peeping is over done, that I agree with. Pixel peeping really isn't the way to go about several focus problems such as ff & bf. As this example shows, it sometimes takes elaborate test sets.
04-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I could see the 'problem' before even chimping at 4x on the rear LCD.. I am not sure what that translates to when viewing on the PC.. How much zoom on the LCD translates to 100%??

I guess as the price of the lens rises so do the expectations, my 50/1.4 is spot and consistant (maybe I am lucky there) so I expected the same from a lens that cost me 4 times more..
04-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yeah I still need +3 compensation to get spot on focus (expected with FA lenses IMO) but otherwise it seems to be fine now.. consistent AF, very usable wide open, sharp a half stop down, and lovely FA limited pop.

Now I have to decide if I will keep it, after two months I found alternatives and have lived without it.. so do I really need it.. LOL.. Its hard to get over that initial bad taste..

04-16-2010, 12:35 AM   #20
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by joele Quote
yeah I still need +3 compensation to get spot on focus (expected with FA lenses IMO) but otherwise it seems to be fine now.. consistent AF, very usable wide open, sharp a half stop down, and lovely FA limited pop.

Now I have to decide if I will keep it, after two months I found alternatives and have lived without it.. so do I really need it.. LOL.. Its hard to get over that initial bad taste..
well its obviously a piece of crap that doesn't focus correctly, so I will be happy to take it off your hands for a low price.
04-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #21

question to joele

very interesting thread since I just purchased a FA31 with the help of CRK and only yesterday looked at some real world photos I'd taken with my KX and they were absolute crap so I'd tried it on my K20 and needed to dial in +10 for this lens to get Flowers sharp at F1.8 but now I think my long distance shots are not that sharp at this aperture...
(all my other lens including a 77mm need -ve values... up to -10 for my DA35 on my K20 - all except one other lens is great on my KX with no adjustments)

so my question is it an assembled in Vietnam - since mine is?

plus how do you test and adjust for AF adjustments (I'd done some brick wall, newspaper etc tests and they seemed ok even on my KX and this testing seem to work for all other lens for real world shots but not for the 31mm)?
04-17-2010, 02:18 AM   #22
Forum Member

I would like to know how to test your lenses effectively.

I got a FA43 and want to make sure its doing its job properly
04-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hide Quote
I got a FA43 and want to make sure its doing its job properly
FA43 is the easy one as it is a short tele on APS-C. Found some high contrast large building, mount the camera on tripod with 2s timer and fill the frame with part of the building from corner to corner, then shoot at every aperture. Just inspect the corners for even sharpness.

04-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #24

Sorry to hear of your problems with you 31 Joele,

As usual with any lens there are qc variations regardless of price... seems like you are unlucky there.

Which body are you using it with? I got lucky my copy works perfectly with both my K10D and K20D

I love my 31 enough to go on a 2 week trip with only that lens. granted forced to choose one due to back injury but it was my choice over the smaller 40mm or more versitile 16-50mm.
Its my favourite lens, now i just need to get the 77mm for a longer version of it .

I dont supposed CRK will grant you replacement since there are still problems?
Talk to Clem Kennedy, he seems very reasonable when I had problems in the past.

Good luck,

Shang
04-18-2010, 05:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think they would do anything now, besides +3 compensation isn't really a fault worth worrying about.. The previous problems were, but a little adjustment like that, considering it is consistant isn't really a problem..

I am using it with the K7 BTW..
04-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Joele, sorry you had so much trouble with your 31. When working it is a great lens. You may have found other lenses to use while it was away, but you may not know what the 31 is capable of yet (since it was broken). I would definetly shoot it a while before getting rid of it.

A little amazed that a lens group could cause a lens to vary from bad to decent. Seems like it would always be bad. Wonder how they figured out what part of the lens was causing the problem? Swap out parts 'til it worked?

Can't imagine any lens I would trade it for in the same focal length range. If you prefer different focal lengths that is understandable.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #29 in compact camera forum. Enter #30. Any brand camera. Enter now!
04-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #27
Nubi

But, then again, I think it is pretty difficult to take crappy pictures with FA 31. No??
04-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
But, then again, I think it is pretty difficult to take crappy pictures with FA 31. No??
Oh no, it isn't. But then again, maybe I'm gifted.
04-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Oh no, it isn't. But then again, maybe I'm gifted.
I now feel very gifted

Neil