Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #16
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by paulbald2 Quote
What would a good price be, for a Super Tak 50mm 1.4?I would not want to pay too much.
I'd say around $50-75 for the Super Tak. There are also a couple of variations on them that may make them of interest to a collector but shouldn't impact the price that much.

04-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,863
QuoteOriginally posted by paulbald2 Quote
What would a good price be, for a Super Tak 50mm 1.4?I would not want to pay too much.
Probably $65-75 in Excellent condition.

KEH has one in Bargain condition for $53.

The SMC goes for about $120-130 in Excellent condition, $90-95 in Bargain condition.
04-15-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
Veteran Member
RioRico's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Limbo, California
Posts: 11,264
Might one be excused for harboring suspicions about this auction? Might one suspect that a seller might have a comrade, an associate, who might bid the price up to unsustainable levels? A stalking-horse, I believe is the traditional term. Might one suspect that possibly a winning high bid might be canceled, with the second-highest bidder being offered a SECOND CHANCE to purchase at a slightly lower price?

Do such activities ever take place at the bay? Does the pope sh!t in the woods?

Or am I being too cynical, too suspicious? Should I believe in the honesty and good faith of my fellow human beings? Would I be such a sucker if I did?
Oh, what tangled webs we weave
When first we practice to deceive
And nary a word that I believe...
04-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #19
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote

Pretty silly indeed. I've seen worse though. I've seen M50 f2.0 lenses go for that. I'm sure the bidders thought that it was the 1.2 that the seller stated it was, or I'd like to give that benefit of the doubt. The absolute worse though was a chrome lens cap for a Type 4 Rolleiflex TLR. At the time, an original cap for that camera would go for $40 or so. Some just HAD to have one though and paid $285 for one. Given the price of the fast fifties these days, $143 may not be that big of a stretch. Still too much for that lens though. Use to be able to get those With cameras for less than $50.



04-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #20
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Might one be excused for harboring suspicions about this auction? Might one suspect that a seller might have a comrade, an associate, who might bid the price up to unsustainable levels? A stalking-horse, I believe is the traditional term. Might one suspect that possibly a winning high bid might be canceled, with the second-highest bidder being offered a SECOND CHANCE to purchase at a slightly lower price?

Do such activities ever take place at the bay? Does the pope sh!t in the woods?

Or am I being too cynical, too suspicious? Should I believe in the honesty and good faith of my fellow human beings? Would I be such a sucker if I did?
Oh, what tangled webs we weave
When first we practice to deceive
And nary a word that I believe...
You suspect a Shill Bidder? Possible but keep in mind that even for your theory of a second chance offer to be made, the second chance price had to be bid. Second chance offers are made based on the bid the first losing bidder made. So even if what you suggest is true (second chance), somebody had to bid $138 and change or so for it to go that far.

04-15-2010, 06:37 PM   #21
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Might one be excused for harboring suspicions about this auction? Might one suspect that a seller might have a comrade, an associate, who might bid the
Look--when it comes to my cynicism and my little faith in the integrity of my fellow man, you got nothing on me. I grew UP on it.

Brooklyn--remember? Plus, every other year, my parents told me they loved me, only on my birthday, but I knew they were full of s***.

However, I also believe in the STUPIDITY of my fellow man--not to mention the machinations of how eBay works:

I've been studying ways to cheat and beat the eBay system for years, in case one day, I lost my faith in a higher power and just wanted to "make a buck"--the consequences of such action and the following eternal burning damnation in hell be DAMNED. Then I realized I could never pull it off, because I'm too stupid, like the stupidity I mentioned above.

So boys and girls, let's follow THIS little adventure, and see what happens!

My guess is that the shmuck who buys it lives in Maryland:

Minty M42 Super Takumar 50mm 1.4 with Extras! - eBay (item 290424826704 end time Apr-18-10 13:06:13 PDT)

Last edited by Ira; 04-15-2010 at 06:44 PM.
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #22
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
I predict that in 2 days, 18 hours and change, it will still be there. If he wants to offer extras and ask for that price (any bets on where he got his number besides anal extraction?), he should Show the extras and pay the extra 60¢ to do so. OR, Register here, pay the donation to sell in the market place, and post all the images he wants, of his for sale product.

04-15-2010, 07:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,071
Asahi Pentax 49mm Front Lens Cap Clip/Snap On - eBay (item 350338589875 end time Apr-15-10 19:06:22 PDT)

I win.

04-15-2010, 07:13 PM   #24
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,071
Asahi Pentax 49mm Metal Front Lens Cap Minty - eBay (item 350338590147 end time Apr-15-10 19:07:31 PDT)

Is this some sick twisted joke? I've been including authentic caps with all my Pentax lenses that I've been selling. They're worth $20 a pop?
04-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #25
Veteran Member
WiseOx's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Whitby (near Toronto), Canada
Photos: Albums
Posts: 429
K, that's just frickin' nuts.......

There is the odd deal to be found now and then. Just 2 months ago, I picked up a Tokina 500mm f8 mirror lens, mint in case for $52. I've pretty much given up eBay hunting since though, it's getting silly.
04-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #26
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Asahi Pentax 49mm Metal Front Lens Cap Minty - eBay (item 350338590147 end time Apr-15-10 19:07:31 PDT)

Is this some sick twisted joke? I've been including authentic caps with all my Pentax lenses that I've been selling. They're worth $20 a pop?
Well there you go.. A new cottage business. Get a box of generic lens caps and replace the original Pentax caps. Right after you sell each lens, list the real lens cap.

I felt bad paying $10 for authentic caps (the newer side pinch types).. Guess I got a bargain.

04-15-2010, 10:35 PM   #27
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
You suspect a Shill Bidder? Possible but keep in mind that even for your theory of a second chance offer to be made, the second chance price had to be bid. Second chance offers are made based on the bid the first losing bidder made. So even if what you suggest is true (second chance), somebody had to bid $138 and change or so for it to go that far.

What happens when the winning bidder bid several times and ran the price up though? That irks me when some goober offers me a second chance at a price that wouldn't have existed it the original bidder hadn't bid. I have had that happen 3 or 4 times. I just ignore them if they don't take it down to where it was without the bidder.

Edit: Using this auction as an example, if the winner pulled out, it should really go back to about $80 which would be where the 2nd place bidder beat out the 3rd. However, in situations like this, I've had goobers offer me a second chance at $140.

Last edited by Blue; 04-15-2010 at 10:40 PM.
04-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #28
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,212
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Well there you go.. A new cottage business. Get a box of generic lens caps and replace the original Pentax caps. Right after you sell each lens, list the real lens cap.

I felt bad paying $10 for authentic caps (the newer side pinch types).. Guess I got a bargain.


Wow. I replaced an original chrome cap for my Auto Tak 35mm f2.3 which is a large cap for $10. Those are somewhat hard to come by. I got lucky I guess.
04-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #29
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Wow. I replaced an original chrome cap for my Auto Tak 35mm f2.3 which is a large cap for $10. Those are somewhat hard to come by. I got lucky I guess.
I think you did. its always the little OEM accessories that people want to charge an arm and a leg for. but these are usually targeted at collectors, so a lot of times, simple things could be worth more to some people. being a bit of a takumar and early pentax collector, I am familiar with these kinds of prices.
04-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #30
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,484
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What happens when the winning bidder bid several times and ran the price up though? That irks me when some goober offers me a second chance at a price that wouldn't have existed it the original bidder hadn't bid. I have had that happen 3 or 4 times. I just ignore them if they don't take it down to where it was without the bidder.

Edit: Using this auction as an example, if the winner pulled out, it should really go back to about $80 which would be where the 2nd place bidder beat out the 3rd. However, in situations like this, I've had goobers offer me a second chance at $140.
What should happen and what does happen are 2 different things. I assume you didn't pay it. What should be done is it should be reported. That's really all you can do.

Still, the fact remains, if the second bidder didn't bid the $140, the price never could have reached $143 from the owner shill bidding. It is partially for reasons like this that I use a sniper to bid. I never give the lemmings something to chip away at. With 2 seconds left, my bid is placed. If it's enough then I win. If not, oh well, move on.

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
50mm, k-mount, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Super-Tak 50mm 1.4 TimB Sold Items 4 12-18-2008 12:57 AM
How to disassemble/assemble a Super Tak 50mm? gardin Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 10-14-2008 08:22 PM
For Sale - Sold: For sale: Pentax Super Tak 50mm f/1.4 navcom Sold Items 1 09-17-2008 05:37 PM
Just playing around with a Super Tak 50mm f1.4 little laker Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 06-08-2008 12:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top