Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 10:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,133
Just checked both KEH and Fred Miranda. No go on either that or the 28-105.

04-15-2010, 10:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 650
Original Poster
Sigma 24-135

None on Henry's or Adorama either. So I guess I now will start checking all these and as many others as I can think up for this little beauty in a Pentax mount which might be the rarity part. Do you think Pentax shooters have a blind spot in this range. You also might have noticed that I have a 35-135 in the bag(or one of the Pelican cases, Somewhere?) from Tamron which is decidedly not AF nor AE just manual plus kinda dark too so I guess I'll go around wishing. There's an f-stop swap here this weekend so maybe???? I can Hope can't I!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Just checked both KEH and Fred Miranda. No go on either that or the 28-105.
04-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member
Jodokast96's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Erial, NJ USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,133
My personal opinion is yes, though it's missing in just about every mount, not just Pentax. There are lenses out there, but a) they all seem to be slow, and b) seem to be of average IQ. A 17-70 is a good range if you might also be doing some indoor shooting. But outdoors, it always seems you tend to want a little more reach. The 24-135 does seem to be as ideal a range as you'll find. Again, nothing more than my opinion.
04-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #19
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Just checked both KEH and Fred Miranda. No go on either that or the 28-105.
I once tried finding the 28-105mm, I looked on various websites such as KEH, Fred Miranda, PentaxForums, and a ton of other places, and I couldn't find it anywhere. This seems to be Pentax's long lost lens or something.

Let me know if you do find it anywhere, I think I could say that is probably around my favorite range to use in a lens, at least when I had a 28-135mm one it was, but I would love to try the Pentax version of it (does the FA or F (forgot which one it was) version of it have the SMC coatings too?) If it does, then that's even more incentive to buy it.

Oh, and do you know how much it costs usually? Like I said it's rare that I actually find one.

04-15-2010, 11:05 PM   #20
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 650
Original Poster
Wide to tele

I have been thinking about the 16-45 for indoor but I might also go with a 12-?? since indoors is where I do want fast(I really dislike flash) and want really wide. I used to work with a 20 mm film lens and loved it but once was allowed to borrow an 18 mm that didn't get into fish eye and like it inside even more!! Right now I have a fairly fast 24 mm f2.5 which is ok but I feel like I am looking down a barrel indoors in my living room which is 13 by 24 and I can even step back another 4-5 feet in the foyer! I have others that do close focus really well and macro in several stages but not really wide past that 18 mm that is the kit wide angle. So I dream of that old 18 and 20 mm film lenses and then look at the prices for the wide angles and realize I won't be buying one soon. However the K-X seems to be coming down a little bit at least as a body only unit. I do want one of those but do not have a snowballs chance in the contest. I just don't post that much, too many other things to do.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
My personal opinion is yes, though it's missing in just about every mount, not just Pentax. There are lenses out there, but a) they all seem to be slow, and b) seem to be of average IQ. A 17-70 is a good range if you might also be doing some indoor shooting. But outdoors, it always seems you tend to want a little more reach. The 24-135 does seem to be as ideal a range as you'll find. Again, nothing more than my opinion.
04-15-2010, 11:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 650
Original Poster
What does that "IQ" actually mean in a lens anyway?????
04-15-2010, 11:13 PM   #22
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 650
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I once tried finding the 28-105mm, I looked on various websites such as KEH, Fred Miranda, PentaxForums, and a ton of other places, and I couldn't find it anywhere. This seems to be Pentax's long lost lens or something.

Let me know if you do find it anywhere, I think I could say that is probably around my favorite range to use in a lens, at least when I had a 28-135mm one it was, but I would love to try the Pentax version of it (does the FA or F (forgot which one it was) version of it have the SMC coatings too?) If it does, then that's even more incentive to buy it.

Oh, and do you know how much it costs usually? Like I said it's rare that I actually find one.
Are you also interested in the 24-135 Sigma or one of the Pentax lenses? They also have the 28 - 105 but I didn't look at it that in depth. By they I mean Sigma. It is interesting to find others looking for this range plus some speed in the maximum aperture. It sure seems that as digital AF shooters we are supposed to be happy with f4 and up even though most AF systems start to fail at f8. I have often wondered why it is that todays lenses are so dark compared to lenses just 15 to 20 years ago?? I really do miss those faster zooms and primes which is why I own so many old lenses. Heck I Can set an aperture and I Can focus even though I am not as young as I once was, my vision works just fine thank you.
04-15-2010, 11:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Are you also interested in the 24-135 Sigma or one of the Pentax lenses? They also have the 28 - 105 but I didn't look at it that in depth. By they I mean Sigma. It is interesting to find others looking for this range plus some speed in the maximum aperture. It sure seems that as digital AF shooters we are supposed to be happy with f4 and up even though most AF systems start to fail at f8. I have often wondered why it is that todays lenses are so dark compared to lenses just 15 to 20 years ago?? I really do miss those faster zooms and primes which is why I own so many old lenses. Heck I Can set an aperture and I Can focus even though I am not as young as I once was, my vision works just fine thank you.
No, I thought about getting the Sigma 24-135mm as it was very close to my old Canon 28-135mm IS lens, but I decided against it because of the same reason I got rid of the latter, it's way too heavy. The Sigma weighs just about as much, and sticks out just as much, and when you have a Canon Rebel body (maybe with a Pentax it wouldn't hurt so badly when you hit it on everything) it's hard to not hit everything that you walk by with the huge lens sticking out when you're walking by it.

It is really tempting though considering that it's a 2.8-4.5 lens though, and if I had a larger camera (and liked larger cameras, sometimes, I do, and sometimes I don't, actually) then I might consider that one.

04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #24
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
What does that "IQ" actually mean in a lens anyway?????
Image quality.
04-16-2010, 10:24 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: National Capital Region
Posts: 738
Tamron has a version similar to Sigma's 24-135 with very useful speeds of f3.5-5.6. I recently got a copy purely of out curiosity and tested it on a *ist DS. The lens reproduces colors very well, and is quite sharp across the range.

Last edited by EsBee; 04-16-2010 at 11:31 PM.
04-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #26
Veteran Member
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,695
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Tamron has a version similar to Sigma's 25-135 with very useful speeds of f3.5-5.6. I recently got a copy purely of out curiosity and tested it on a *ist DS. The lens reproduces colors very well, and is quite sharp across the range.
Yes I've seen it before, but it has the same issues for me as the Sigma. There's just too much weight in there (it was built for the bigger film cameras, and was made with a lot of sturdy and heavy materials) and it extends way too much when I'm zooming in.
04-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #27
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 650
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Tamron has a version similar to Sigma's 25-135 with very useful speeds of f3.5-5.6. I recently got a copy purely of out curiosity and tested it on a *ist DS. The lens reproduces colors very well, and is quite sharp across the range.
Does this mean that the Tamron is a 25-135 because the Sigma is a 24-135? The Sigma is a full f stop faster so I may prefer looking and waiting for that unit. I own a Tamron 35-135 if I need that focal range in a heavy slow lens. I have gotten several replies that indicate they think the Sigma is a heavy lens. You should try the same focal length in an old film lens from the 70's or 80's, those are heavy!!
04-16-2010, 12:11 PM   #28
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 650
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Yes I've seen it before, but it has the same issues for me as the Sigma. There's just too much weight in there (it was built for the bigger film cameras, and was made with a lot of sturdy and heavy materials) and it extends way too much when I'm zooming in.
Maybe what I really want, as long as I am wishing, is a 18-135 f2.8 constant aperture. Yep that would be really neat for outdoor scenic shots.
04-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #29
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota
Photos: Albums
Posts: 650
Original Poster
A lens I regret selling

i used to have a 28 to 80 Macro lens that could magnify an image an incredible amount plus focus at less than an inch from the subject. An old heavy manual lens it required tripod support for macro shots. However it was not at all good as a wide angle to Tele lens mostly because it had a 72 mm objective element and was too heavy for more than 10 to 15 handheld shots. But as a Macro I haven't owned anything that was truly better even if it was really hard to light the subject when so, so close.
04-16-2010, 04:54 PM   #30
Pentaxian
Marc Sabatella's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 10,686
QuoteOriginally posted by kacansas03 Quote
Maybe what I really want, as long as I am wishing, is a 18-135 f2.8 constant aperture. Yep that would be really neat for outdoor scenic shots.
As long as it comes with it's own llama to carry it - such a lens would surely weigh at least 10 lbs.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, k-mount, lens, mm, pentax lens, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Wide Angle Zoom? JamesD Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 11-07-2009 03:52 PM
Wide-to-medium Tele zoom (DA 16-45mm, DA* 16-50 or DA 17-70mm?) tlwyse Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 5 07-08-2009 06:36 AM
Good Budget Wide Angle Zoom FckShoes Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 10-10-2008 05:25 AM
Wide & Tele Zoom Lens ugaarguy Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 01-26-2007 09:47 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:08 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top