Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would say that anything 35/1.4 can do, a 35/2 can do *almost* as well. Sure, you might need to up the ISO or slow the shutter one stop in low light - or half a stop of each. But that's not a huge problem, especially given that you're talking about snapshots and 4x6 prints. Considering also what you lose in DOF, and no way would I be trying to hold out for a 35/1.4 and the expensive and size that entails. In fact, most people do this kind of shooting with f/2.8 lenses on digital - ISO 1600 and above being perfectly viable in ways that it isnt on film.

04-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I would say that anything 35/1.4 can do, a 35/2 can do *almost* as well. Sure, you might need to up the ISO or slow the shutter one stop in low light - or half a stop of each. But that's not a huge problem, especially given that you're talking about snapshots and 4x6 prints. Considering also what you lose in DOF, and no way would I be trying to hold out for a 35/1.4 and the expensive and size that entails. In fact, most people do this kind of shooting with f/2.8 lenses on digital - ISO 1600 and above being perfectly viable in ways that it isnt on film.
I never thought of running the K100D at 1600 for the indoor shots. With my film lenses they were mostly around f2.8 and I used 800 indoors. Had the flash mounted but almost never used it. It is an AE camera so when the shutter was slow I knew to go to flash. K100D does Not like the compact florescent light bulbs we have every where in the house. WB is the one thing that I didn't think about with film and I am still learning on the digital. However my thoughts are faster is better IF I can afford that lens, any of the faster ones that is.
04-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think I still like the idea of an extreme wide angle "fisheye" lens and then use that "PTLens" software to correct the distortion of a fisheye FOC IF I want to correct it. I have seen enough fisheye photos on the forum now to realize that there will be times I wish for that much FOV plus times I want it to look fisheye so when I print the photo anyone looking at it will know how it was taken. So I have changed what I am looking for from a zoom to a single focal length.
04-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you don't mind me skipping over the middle pages of this thread:

"used to own a manual focus lens for film cameras that was a 35 to 150 mm"

I don't know what lens you're talking about there, but I have a 28-105 2.8-4 Sigma that comes from AF film days, which is very nice if stopped down somewhat. They are somewhat quirky in the bright, but really pretty nice and cover about that range of FOV.

The price is quite reasonable, (I think I paid a bill at Keh) being the niceness of them. If one turns up. I'm using one for a placeholder for a Tammy 28-75, and having fun with the extra bit of reach in the meanwhile. If you want to use on digital, ...put a good sized hood on there and try to stay under 100mm.

04-22-2010, 08:40 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Original Poster
PM sent to poster. Thanks.!!
04-25-2010, 12:44 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More thoughts.

I have been thinking about what I wish to have in this focal range of lens. I have realized that I might be quite happy with an 18 to 200 mm zoom. I do plan to use it outdoors so if it was say f2.8 or 3.5 to f4.5 or 5.6 I would likely be ok with the IQ. Plus it would add a wider FOV than the old lens along with a real increase in magnification plus reduction in perceived FOV. Although I could be quite happy with the FOV of a 24 to 200 also but not so much with a 28 to 200. So this widens the search field for me and hopefully may decrease the actual purchase price of the lens too!
05-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Found it!

I found a 24-135 mm Sigma lens right here on the forum Marketplace. This will make the 4th person I have bought from on the forum and about the 8th or 10th lens I have bought on the forum. Thank You Adam!

05-14-2010, 02:28 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're just lucky I didn't snag it up ahead of you.