Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 03:32 PM   #1

K7 + Zeiss manual focus lenses

I am thinking about picking up a K7 to go along with my Hasselblad equipment.
I really like the size of the K7 and the construction of the body.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the complete line of Zeiss manual focus lenses when used with the K7. I am very interested in the 100mm macro.
How do they compare with the FA limited lenses>

Thanks
Steven

04-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
I am thinking about picking up a K7 to go along with my Hasselblad equipment.
I really like the size of the K7 and the construction of the body.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the complete line of Zeiss manual focus lenses when used with the K7. I am very interested in the 100mm macro.
How do they compare with the FA limited lenses>

Thanks
Steven
Steven,
I have no direct experience of the Zeiss lenses, but many Pentaxians use the following lens test results:
http://www.photozone.de/
Camera lens tests, user reviews, camera accessory reviews - SLRgear.com!

Both sites are respected for their objectivity. I tend to prefer Photozone.de, whose reviews match my own experience and opinion. However note that, in Photozone.de, the 3rd party lenses (eg Zeiss, Voigtlander) are not always listed in the pentax section and could be listed in the Nikon-APS-C or Canon APS-C section.

Please keep us posted of your shots with the K-7 and Zeiss lenses. I will be interested to see your results...
04-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kuau Quote
How do they compare with the FA limited lenses
I don't think you are going to find anyone who has had experience with the entire line of Zeiss lenses, and neither are you going to find tan exhaustive level of comprehensive coverage of Zeiss on Pentax. But certainly if you do some searches you will find people here with one or the other.

The advantages of Zeiss include their fantastic build quality and great resolution. Other attributes (vignetting, bokeh) may or may not be top of the heap, depending on your preferences. But certainly none are serious problems. Of course they are only manual focus. I have used none of them.

The FA Limiteds also have fantastic build and are fine to focus with manually -- but you also have auto-focus at your disposal. Resolution is good to excellent and other characteristics are in line with their premium nature. The one negative is the possibility of purple fringing, but only in extreme contrast. I absolutely love the two I have.
04-16-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This thread on the forum might give you some insight:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/36041-zeiss-zk...-thoughts.html