Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 06:04 PM   #1

updated views on da* 55mm f1.4 please

i'm seriously considering purchasing this lens. i've searched this forum and the lens database. mixed opinions from the get-go.

now that this lens has been out for awhile, i wonder if any actual owner/user has either validated or changed his/her original view and would be willing to share the reasons why?

would really appreciate your taking the time to do so.

illustrative photos also appreciated.

04-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote
i'm seriously considering purchasing this lens. i've searched this forum and the lens database. mixed opinions from the get-go.

now that this lens has been out for awhile, i wonder if any actual owner/user has either validated or changed his/her original view and would be willing to share the reasons why?

Yes, My views of the lens have changed since I bought it last October. My view of it has improved. I only wish I had bought it sooner before the Pentax Price Hikes. That's my only complaint.

04-15-2010, 09:57 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm still very impressed with my *55/1.4.
04-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
great lens. my only complaint is slow AF.

04-16-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

I'll keep an eye on this thread. This is the one lens from DA line up that has been pulling my leg for a while...
we'll see....
04-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
great lens. my only complaint is slow AF.
I thought so when I initially was looking at it, as it is very slow going from lock to lock, but in use it seems fast enough.
04-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I love this lens. I also have the FA43, FA77 and DA*16-50, and have had the FA50, DA*50-135 and DA 70 in the past (lenses to which it is often compared), but this lens has made it on my camera more often than any.

The rounded blades really do make for really smooth bokeh--everybody talks about wide open performance when they compare it to the FA50, but once you start stopping down the contest is over.

I paid more than I would have today. But I think it's worth every penny. Never any issue with SDM. Maybe a little more audible than the 16-50.

Some pics from a vacation last month, mostly shot at f/3.2:

04-16-2010, 04:10 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It's my favorite lens that I own. Hands down.
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by noahpurdy Quote
It's my favorite lens that I own. Hands down.
What are you comparing to? Or which other lenses are in your bag

cheers

Neil
04-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #10

Original Poster
jeffjs and farfisa, thank you for posting those photos, especially the ones with backlighting and/or sunlight bouncing off shiny surfaces. touted flare control is one of the attractions of this lens, as is water resistance.

so far it's looking like a thumbs up for the da* 55.

more views and perspectives always welcome.
04-17-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
hcc
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by patk Quote

First you should read this recent thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/97973-da%2A55m...mm-f1-4-a.html. The thread includes links to some recent reviews by www.photozone.de and www.slrgear.com of the DA*55mm that are not that impressive unfortunately.

A serious contender to the DA* 55mm is the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. The Voigtlender Nokton 58mm is half-price and regarded as good if not better in terms of image quality. It is built like a tank (superb metallic construction, very sturdy). The Nokton 58mm is a perfect outdoor WR lens.

Hope that the comment will help...
04-17-2010, 06:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Like JeffJS, the more I use this lens the more I think it is superb IQ wise and build wise. The IQ is super sharp and has a real 3D look to the results in many circumstances.
04-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
First you should read this recent thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/97973-da%2A55m...mm-f1-4-a.html. The thread includes links to some recent reviews by www.photozone.de and www.slrgear.com of the DA*55mm that are not that impressive unfortunately.

A serious contender to the DA* 55mm is the Voigtlander Nokton 58mm f1.4. The Voigtlender Nokton 58mm is half-price and regarded as good if not better in terms of image quality. It is built like a tank (superb metallic construction, very sturdy). The Nokton 58mm is a perfect outdoor WR lens.

Hope that the comment will help...

thank you, hcc. yes, i have already read a great deal about the voigtlander and looked at many impressive photos produced with that lens. i was actually planning to purchase it for the many fine qualities it seems to offer. but i have aging eyes and know that at times i will really want the benefits of auto focus. i went with the leica planar t* 85mm f1.4 despite the lack of auto focus, and it's a great lens that is not being done justice because of the aging eyes issue. after reading all the mixed reviews on the da* 55, i almost decided to get the voigtlander anyway, but then i decided to ask in this forum for updated opinions of users/owners of the da *55.
04-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

just curious whats the difference in IQ with the 55 1.4 and the 50 1.4?
aside from the focal length
hows the SDM of the 55 1.4?
04-18-2010, 10:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
just curious whats the difference in IQ with the 55 1.4 and the 50 1.4?
aside from the focal length
hows the SDM of the 55 1.4?

from what I tried, the DA55 is sharper and has more contrast. the SDM is silent but slow.