Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I think I've decided to start with the DA 35mm macro. Its going to be okay for me to start with because I'm thinking I want to just wander about with a single lightweight lens for most purposes. Besides, I need to just get out there and do it.
Sounds to me like you've got everything thought out very well, in fact. Starting with the DA35 is entirely logical... except that then you will likely not get the FA43 for a while (if ever) -- and that is a shame.

My next lens would be the FA77. It is significantly different in focal length and a stop faster.

Next, go the other way for the DA15 or perhaps an alternative? The prime is great if size is your main concern, but in the wide end I find primes to be far too restrictive. Every mm makes a big difference to FOV. 12mm is totally different from 15, 18 and 24. Which is why I recommend the DA12-24, to cover all of these with IQ that is second-to-none.

Otherwise, budget for a fast 24mm lens as well. The gap from 15 to 35 is just too big.

I do however think you can do without the 90mm macro since you can get a Raynox adapter and put it on the FA77.

04-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I myself wondering what to get either get 3 primes or get an ultra wide angle zoom like
12-24 and mix w/ primes since rparmar have said in the wide end primes are too restrictive.
Its pretty hard also to choose on the telephoto side either you get a 77/1.8 or 100 macro since the fov would be pretty close.

For primes i would get
3 Primes - 15, 35/2, 77 or 90 Macro
4 Primes - 15, 28, 50/1.4, 100 Macro

Zoom and Primes
12-24, 43, 77
04-19-2010, 04:47 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The great thing is there are many combinations of lenses that work well. In a way we are spoilt for choice, especially once we start to look at older manual lenses. Of course there are some regions in which we are more restricted. For example, if you want a wide prime, the DA15 is it. The next one up is the DA21.

QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Zoom and Primes
12-24, 43, 77
That is exactly what I use... my three most popular lenses and the ones I pack for travel etc. I absolutely love macro, but then carry a screw-on macro adapter that will work with either prime.

If I know macro is the main order of the day I instead take the Vivitar Series 1 105mm f/2.5. If I want an easy street setup I take the Vivitar (Komine made) 24mm f/2.
04-19-2010, 05:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is all a question of personal habits. Robin's (and Rusty's) set-up is a good one. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the 12-24 back before the big price jump, and I would have skipped my DA17-70. Now, the price for this lens is truly daunting.

Before you settle on other lenses, take a good hard look at what focal lengths you are using on your big zooms. That was very helpful to me. It helped me see that I very seldom used anything longer than 135, and used lengths over 77 only a little bit more often.

On the other had, I traveled through cities with tight spaces for many years with no wider than a 28mm, and I seldom felt constricted. Recently, I started using a 17-35mm zoom on film, and found out what I was missing. After I took enough photos of my feet, I've settled on ~20mm on film as the FOV I need most and don't have. Again, using a zoom for a while, even if its quality is not tip-top, is very helpful for finding the lengths you use.

04-19-2010, 08:32 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
It is all a question of personal habits. Robin's (and Rusty's) set-up is a good one. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the 12-24 back before the big price jump, and I would have skipped my DA17-70.
Yeah, me too! Except I would have skipped the DA16-45. Not because it isn't a good lens -- in fact I recommend it often -- it's just that it has no place in my setup now that I have the wide end zoom.

Now, the price for this lens is truly daunting.
Yes, this sucks. I got mine on a trade just before the prices went up, but after I could see the writing on the wall. Had I any cash at the time I would definitely have bought two other lenses as well.

Before you settle on other lenses, take a good hard look at what focal lengths you are using on your big zooms.
This is a useful technique. But it can't tell you you would use 12-18mm if you do not have that focal range already to hand! And the other thing it won't tell you is how much more you would use a focal length if the lens that covers it is really great to handle.

No-one starts off saying "I need 77mm" to get the shot! But after trying the FA 77mm Limited...
04-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

It is all a question of personal habits. Robin's (and Rusty's) set-up is a good one. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten the 12-24 back before the big price jump, and I would have skipped my DA17-70. Now, the price for this lens is truly daunting.
Not sure if you're not looking in the right places now, or have somewhat rose-colored memories of what the price was before, but most legit dealers like B&H and Adorama sell this lens for $699 right now, and aside from temporary special promotions, it was never regularly all that much cheaper. For whatever it's worth, unless you had a line on one of those special promotions (like a month-long window where there was a rebate offered or whatever), you really didn't miss out that much by waiting.
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Sounds to me like you've got everything thought out very well, in fact. Starting with the DA35 is entirely logical... except that then you will likely not get the FA43 for a while (if ever) -- and that is a shame.

My next lens would be the FA77. It is significantly different in focal length and a stop faster.

Next, go the other way for the DA15 or perhaps an alternative? The prime is great if size is your main concern, but in the wide end I find primes to be far too restrictive. Every mm makes a big difference to FOV. 12mm is totally different from 15, 18 and 24. Which is why I recommend the DA12-24, to cover all of these with IQ that is second-to-none.

Otherwise, budget for a fast 24mm lens as well. The gap from 15 to 35 is just too big.

I do however think you can do without the 90mm macro since you can get a Raynox adapter and put it on the FA77.
I had forgotten about this thread, been flat chat at work and spend days off "in recovery" as it were, and hardly any photography except point and shoot quickies.

I take your point about the 12-24, and in fact have begun to think that my decision never to buy another zoom probably needs a rethink.

I think I do want that 43, and the 77... but I may never be able to get them for reasons of an income which will be decreasing rapidly fairly soon. So I will be looking for compromises... and I guess I already have some.

06-30-2010, 03:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

If you need compromises, then consider sigma 70 macro, Its not light but combines well as a three prime kit. ie 15ltd, 35/43ltd, 70 macro.
06-30-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote

Perhaps I need to be clearer. Bugs. Flowers.
Tamron 90. Light with excellent reviews and results. If the rebate is still on, it's a great bargain at $410.

QuoteQuote:
Landscapes. Buildings. Street.
12-24. Very useful range.

QuoteQuote:
I'm looking for better IQ and also lightweight.
Well the 12-24 is not exactly light, but you need at least 3 primes to cover the same range, essentially. Every millimeter or two makes a difference with ultrawides.

QuoteQuote:
People.
For portraits you can do a fast 50 or the 70 or 77 or whatever else people use for that. :-)