Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Can i step down to a 49mm filter on the FA31mm?

Hey all,

new member here. I'd like to get a polarizing filter, and i was wondering if anybody out there uses the FA31mm ltd with a 49mm filter out front on a cropped sensor body (in my case a k-x). I know i should just go to the store and try it, but thought i'd check to see if anyone else was doing this.

I just figured it's easier (and cheaper) for me to get a 49mm filter which can be used on my other primes and step down on the FA31mm, rather than get a 58, and have to step up my other two lenses. Was hoping to get away with it since I'm just using the center of the image circle anyways, but if it vignettes, then nevermind.

thanks a bunch!!!

04-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've stepped down from 58 to 49 with a 28mm lens, and with an old Tak-A 28-80, and I get vignetting on my K20D -- UNLESS I'm doing the step-down for macro work, with a macro adapter or reverse-mounted secondary lens. But just to add a polarizer or other filter, you'll probably lose corners. The general practice when obtaining any expensive filtration is, buy to cover the largest lens you want, then use step-up rings for smaller lenses.

Of course, your mileage may vary. Best to try it out and see.
04-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
clm

I tried it with 49mm filters and a hood and never noticed any vignetting, but I didn't try to test or measure for it.