Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 11:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Swapping out Minolta mount with same model lens

I have a broken Vivitar lens in PK mount, it has some aperture issues and it has fungus.

Would it be possible to repair it using parts from a lens of the same exact model except in Minolta mount? In other words, would it be easy to swap the mounts using the same exact model of lenses? Thanks for any advice.

04-16-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I suppose it will be possible but not easy. The optics are the same but the aperture mechanisms aren't. And I don't know if it's only the actuators to the mount that differ or the linkage at the blades.
04-16-2010, 12:22 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
from my perspective, I think although the aperture and mount are different, the two main optical groups would be identical, and you can remove one optical group from th eback, and the other from the front and just swap them.

in many cases the aperture movements and linkages are backwards. so just changing mounts can't work.
04-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
from my perspective, I think although the aperture and mount are different, the two main optical groups would be identical, and you can remove one optical group from th eback, and the other from the front and just swap them.

in many cases the aperture movements and linkages are backwards. so just changing mounts can't work.
Whether is is that easy depends on the lens. In a prime lens, swapping the optical elements/groups would probably quite straightforward. In a zoom lens, that's often not so easy, because you need to disassemble a lot of the complex mechanics to get to the moving optical elements inside.

Ben