Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zeeke Quote
K-x and 44M-7 at f2
wow, Zeeke, that is gorgeous

04-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Looking for something to shoot in the backyard today. Here are some tiny flower buds (cropped) w/#1 extension tube, wide open, handheld, using the 44M-7

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-06-2010 at 08:53 AM.
04-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #18
Igilligan

Mike I am coming out of my self imposed exile

Just for you baby... This last one is way cool... I have been awake 35 of the last 40 hours, but that looks almost like a Skeleton in the Oof area... I see the skull back behind the buds and the ribcage down below it...

Oh boy I need some sleep!
04-18-2010, 05:38 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Yep -- more sleep for Gus is the prescription for the day.

Great Helios shots! I did a portrait session for a high school senior & his mom's favorite photo was taken with the Helios 44-2 and it has the swirly bokeh. Great lens.

04-18-2010, 05:42 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Looking for something to shoot in the backyard today. Here are some tiny flower buds (cropped) w/#1 extension tube, wide open, handheld, using the 44M-7

Mike, That is beautiful. I need to get out and use my Helios 44k.
04-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Just for you baby... This last one is way cool... I have been awake 35 of the last 40 hours, but that looks almost like a Skeleton in the Oof area... I see the skull back behind the buds and the ribcage down below it...

Oh boy I need some sleep!
Gus, my sleep deprived amigo, are you suggesting the Helios produces "skeletal" bokeh? lol. i wish i knew any of these plants but that light ribcage is a tiny yellow and red antler shaped fern(ish) frond. in the color image it is a little too distracting, so i converted this to B&W. it does look a little spooky. roohoohahaha.
04-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenMerola Quote
Mike, That is beautiful. I need to get out and use my Helios 44k.
thx stephen!

04-18-2010, 10:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, between yard chores, I had some time today to shoot a few more using the Helios 44M-7.

here goes:

This is for Gus, a color version of those little buds with some of that feathery fern in the background. I bet Gary knows what this is called. The mature flowers are purple, flat, and have 5-petals. I used a #2 ext tube @ f/2.8

mmm, rusty gears. I love this golf course near home with antique farm equipment. f/2

I wish I knew what kind of farm machine this is, but wanted to catch the weathered edge of the board. f/4

I just installed this new fuel door on my car and wanted to memorialize it with Helios, lol. f/5.6

i've applied some PP including color adjustments and a little sharpening to all of these, but am really impressed with how well this lens performs.

I forgot to mention that the 44-2 has an 8-blade aperture and the 44M-7 has 6. Both are M42 mount.

Last edited by mikeSF; 12-06-2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: update broken links
04-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery | Albums
wow, Zeeke, that is gorgeous
Thanks!
It`s the lens.....
04-19-2010, 12:38 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Depending on the model and actual one you get, it seems to be a phenomenal lens. But the prices are going through the roof:

I've been trying to nail one on eBay for a few months now, but once they approach the Tak prices, I back off.

I'll keep looking, because I want one, but on an average day, maybe two are available, and they're getting into the $50 to $100 range.
the 44-2 can be had for about $20 (shipped). my 44M-7 was ~$52 shipped and is near mint. I see only few of the 7 on eBay now but quite a few more of the 44M-6 and the prices are better. Don't know the differences but they appear nearly identical.

also, fwiw, Gus warned me that since most of the sellers of these lenses are over in the Russian Federation or the Ukraine, it pays to investigate seller feedback carefully.
04-19-2010, 03:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

the 44-2 can be had for about $20 (shipped). my 44M-7 was ~$52 shipped and is near mint. I see only few of the 7 on eBay now but quite a few more of the 44M-6 and the prices are better. Don't know the differences but they appear nearly identical.
As of right now, like in the last 15 minutes, most are in the US$25-30 range, shipped. Still really great deals. I've never been disappointed with any Russian / Ukraine / FSU glass, and some of it is my Gold Standard.

QuoteQuote:
also, fwiw, Gus warned me that since most of the sellers of these lenses are over in the Russian Federation or the Ukraine, it pays to investigate seller feedback carefully.
Uh, yes indeed. Most that I dealt with were straight and honest. A couple weren't. One misrepresented a lens (200mm is NOT 180mm!!) and sent death threats when I gave him a negative rating. That was 18+ months ago and the Mafiya hasn't arrived here yet, so I'm not especially worried. And it's not a terrible lens, just not what I wanted. Oh sh!t, not ANOTHER 200/3.5 ?!?!?!?
04-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
As of right now, like in the last 15 minutes, most are in the US$25-30 range, shipped. Still really great deals. I've never been disappointed with any Russian / Ukraine / FSU glass, and some of it is my Gold Standard.

Uh, yes indeed. Most that I dealt with were straight and honest. A couple weren't. One misrepresented a lens (200mm is NOT 180mm!!) and sent death threats when I gave him a negative rating. That was 18+ months ago and the Mafiya hasn't arrived here yet, so I'm not especially worried. And it's not a terrible lens, just not what I wanted. Oh sh!t, not ANOTHER 200/3.5 ?!?!?!?
yikes, is there a radio button in eBay feedback for "Seller provided timely death threats"?
04-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got one for 10 Euros (that makes about US$16?), and one for free, as a package deal with the Pentax Bellows I got. I love these lenses!!!
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...I wish I knew what kind of farm machine this is, but wanted to catch the weathered edge of the board. f/4

I am not certain, but I believe that may be a manure spreader.

Steve

(Nice shot, BTW...beautiful detail in the wood...)
04-21-2010, 01:17 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am not certain, but I believe that may be a manure spreader.

Steve

(Nice shot, BTW...beautiful detail in the wood...)
that explains why the cows seemed to be snickering at me for being so fascinated with it. doh!