Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Hi, I am looking at these lenses, In my country I can get the Helios 44-M-7 M52 58 mm f/2 and the Helios 44-K-4 58 mm f/2. I see that the difference is in the mount type, The -K ones seems to fit directly in my Pentax k-x without and adaptor, but the -M one needs an adaptor.

Which adaptor is needed for the -M one ?

Is a huge difference between both ? I can get the -M version for about 15 Dollars, and the -K version (with the zenit camera included - only buy option-) for 45 dollars.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Andrés

03-03-2011, 06:47 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andrix Quote
Hi, I am looking at these lenses, In my country I can get the Helios 44-M-7 M52 58 mm f/2 and the Helios 44-K-4 58 mm f/2. I see that the difference is in the mount type, The -K ones seems to fit directly in my Pentax k-x without and adaptor, but the -M one needs an adaptor.

Which adaptor is needed for the -M one ?

Is a huge difference between both ? I can get the -M version for about 15 Dollars, and the -K version (with the zenit camera included - only buy option-) for 45 dollars.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Andrés
You would need Pentax Adapter K or one of the chinese knockoffs. As you said in the other thread, by the time you pay the import tax the 44M will be more expensive than the 44K.

This thread has information on all the different adapters available.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-ada...addiction.html

Last edited by boriscleto; 03-03-2011 at 07:03 AM.
03-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #48

Thanks a lot for your reply, but apart of the cost, which one of both is better ? I'm willing to get the TWO (or the better of both).

And about the Adaptor , Can you point me to some link on Ebay or somewhere to see what type of adaptor i need? In some places I see M42 for Pentax adaptor, but the guy that sold the Helios 44-M-7 M52 58mm told me that I need an M52 adaptor, I am a bit confused now, because I am totally new to this.

Thanks again!
03-03-2011, 07:24 AM   #49
Site Supporter

It will be M42 mount not M52 (doesnt exist as far as I know) Just look up "Genuine Pentax M42 to K adapter" Any good online camera store or any Pentax online store should have it ~$30.

Question to others:

What does it mean if one of these lenses is "Pre-Set"?

Is it really necessary on an M42 mount lens (not Exacta) to do any modifications to get the lens to work with an adapter on our dslrs? Is there a pin or something that must be removed?

Otherwise I assume M42 lenses would work like Pentax M lenses, wide open in AV mode or fully manual in M. Correct?

EDIT: Found this in another thread from riorico:

A note on M42's -- Three sorts exist:

1) No aperture automation -- one aperture ring, or two rings (preset). These are simple to use: Set the aperture and shoot. With a two-ring preset lens: Set the desired aperture, spin the loose ring up to compose, then spin it down to shoot.

2) Aperture automation with a M/A (manual/auto) switch. Set the switch to M and they function just like type (1). Set the switch to A, and you get aperture automation ON FILM BODIES THAT SUPPORT IT, but on dSLRs they stay wide open.

3) Auto-only, no M/A switch. On dSLRs they stay wide open, unless the pin is jammed or glued down, which can reduce the value of the lens. Avoid auto-only M42's unless you're a film-shooter, collector, or lens doctor -- or you like shooting wide open.

Last edited by Deimos; 03-03-2011 at 07:32 AM.
03-03-2011, 09:15 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andrix Quote
Thanks a lot for your reply, but apart of the cost, which one of both is better ? I'm willing to get the TWO (or the better of both).

And about the Adaptor , Can you point me to some link on Ebay or somewhere to see what type of adaptor i need? In some places I see M42 for Pentax adaptor, but the guy that sold the Helios 44-M-7 M52 58mm told me that I need an M52 adaptor, I am a bit confused now, because I am totally new to this.

Thanks again!
The front thread of the Helios is M52. The rear thread is M42.

The M-7 was the last of the M42 Helios'. It was introduced in the early 90's. The main problem using it with the K-x will be that it doesn't have an Auto/Man switch. You will have to perform a bit of surgery on the lens to force the aperture pin to stay pressed.

Helios 44 M42 Lenses Pixelfarmize

The 44K was introduced in the mid-80's and continued in production through the mid-90's.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/63644-helios-44k-4-first-shots.html

Just search for the various variants on Google or Flickr and you will find plenty of examples. There really shouldn't be much difference between the two. The main factor in lens quality was the day of the month it was manufactured. Lenses produced right after the Vodka ration was issued and right before the monthly quota was due are of much lower quality. At least for the Soviet era lenses. Later lenses probably won't vary as much.
03-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #51

@boriscleto,

thanks a lot for all your replies! You have been very kind and clear with every response. Sorry I'm continue asking, but can you point me to some Resource & guide on which Surgery I have to do with the Helios 44 M42 to get them working on my K-x ?

Thanks again!!
03-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #52
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Lenses produced right after the Vodka ration was issued and right before the monthly quota was due are of much lower quality. At least for the Soviet era lenses. Later lenses probably won't vary as much.
Sounds like the good ol' north american "Friday" car made after the beer lunch

Is this actual fact or a bit of a joke? Understanding there is variation between lenses can it actually be narrowed down to certain dates that correspond with the Vodka rations? That would be pretty funny actually

03-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #53
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/51749-m42-auto...ification.html
04-10-2011, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
here's one from the Helios 44M-7, shot last night in 26+mph winds. I had my fancy Ltd lenses with me and yet this lens got the best pics .

I have begun keeping this gem in my bag for landscapes. I am always pleasantly surprised by it.
04-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Fantastic shot, Mike.
04-11-2011, 01:22 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Fantastic shot, Mike.
+1

Last year I bought 2 Helios 58/2 at the same time. They were dirt cheap so i couldnt resist.
One was the silver version with 13 blades and m39 mount.
The other was one version ( or perhaps 2) newer black with less blades and m42 mount.
I took all the optics from the silver one and put that into the black m42 mechanics and it works perfect. Nice 13blades m42 version

The odd thing with this lens is that it is extremely sharp even at f11-22
Other lenses starts loosing at above f11 but this one just keeps going. incredible really.
Heres a shot taken with that lens and a flash. It was a long time ago with my Kx so i cant remember the details but probably f3-5 somewere.

Its a 100% crop and not very flattering

Heres a 50% crop.
04-16-2011, 07:41 AM   #57
Site Supporter

Maybe we can turn this into a club? I love the colours this lens produces!

Here are a couple from my new-to-me, slightly battered but perfect optically $20, 44-2 :
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by Deimos; 04-16-2011 at 07:46 AM.
04-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #58
Site Supporter

Some more
Attached Images

04-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #59

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Here's that Helios 44 M-7 at work:
what an amazing shot!
04-16-2011, 12:37 PM   #60
Veteran Member