Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 805 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2018, 08:46 AM - 1 Like   #571
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have just read a post in russian (using Google Translate).
The poster is/was an employee of the KMZ (Krasnagorsk) plant.
He reported that the quality of the glass of most (all?) lenses changed over time, and that every time the technicians did complicated calculation to adapt the old project to the new glass.
After the plant restarted the production of non-military stuff after 2012 the new computers allowed to do the same calculation in a very short time.
Equipments for the military and "special' lenses (like those with all the zeroes in front of the serial) were assembled/tested with special care.
People going for these collectibles may have a point
Sub-models with a long life, like some of the Helioses, could have seen improvements/recalculations that weren't actually reflected in a change of name.
There might have been differences between examples coming from different plants. KMZ ones are believed to be better...
I'm kind of doubtful that most of these differences/adjustments can actually make a discernible difference, if the vintage is more or less the same.

09-17-2018, 05:32 PM   #572
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyberjunkie Quote
... "special' lenses (like those with all the zeroes in front of the serial) were assembled/tested with special care.
This is interesting, since there is no agreement whether these lenses with many zeroes were somehow "special" (prototypes or gifts for VIPs) or not.
I made a thread about two of them and their differences not long ago.

Helios 44 SN#0000xxx slight differences with SN#000xxxx - PentaxForums.com
09-17-2018, 05:41 PM - 4 Likes   #573
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 with KMZ (Zenit) MC Helios-44K-4

09-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #574
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

Really nice. I have that lens ordered.
Terry

09-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #575
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Really nice. I have that lens ordered.
Terry

thank you

I know - you've mentioned it coming to you; it inspired me to bring mine out for some shots....
09-19-2018, 02:59 AM   #576
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 with KMZ (Zenit) MC Helios-44K-4

while I thoroughly enjoy my Helios, I also know that the lens' coatings are not near current lenses:

while I know that this shot would have tested any lenses' ability to manage light and flare, I kept this one because it reminded me of my first Instamatic, decades ago....
09-19-2018, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #577
Pentaxian

thank you

I know - you've mentioned it coming to you; it inspired me to bring mine out for some shots....
Hello,
I want to try the 44-2 also. What is the absolute best adapter to use on my K-1? Thank you very much.
Terry

09-19-2018, 05:14 AM   #578
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,
I want to try the 44-2 also. What is the absolute best adapter to use on my K-1? Thank you very much.
Terry
the Pentax OEM adapter - people grouse about its cost but it is also the one least likely to cause any problems...
09-19-2018, 06:55 AM   #579
Pentaxian

Hello,
Terry
the Pentax OEM adapter - people grouse about its cost but it is also the one least likely to cause any problems..
^
This response is correct and it is the best advise on the topic.

But, if you decide to venture into buying an aftermarket one - take the screw and lever off the adapter before using it on your camera as thuis is what usually gets stuck on K bodies. Screw the adapter sans screw and lever onto the lens itself and then into the camera.

To get the adapter off the lens = get creative, sure you'll find a way (this is what I'm doing, haven't had any issues - disclosure = I do not own a K-1, but a K-50)
09-19-2018, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #580
Pentaxian

the Pentax OEM adapter - people grouse about its cost but it is also the one least likely to cause any problems...
Thank you very much. I'm trying to find one now on eBay, but no luck.
Terry

---------- Post added 09-19-18 at 11:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by edom31 Quote
^

But, if you decide to venture into buying an aftermarket one - take the screw and lever off the adapter before using it on your camera as thuis is what usually gets stuck on K bodies. Screw the adapter sans screw and lever onto the lens itself and then into the camera.

To get the adapter off the lens = get creative, sure you'll find a way (this is what I'm doing, haven't had any issues - disclosure = I do not own a K-1, but a K-50)
Well, I did that. It had pentax written on it, so I thought that was it. I wasted $9, but so be it. It's going right in the trash. Thank you.
Terry
09-19-2018, 11:45 AM   #581
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sprocket is particularly good.
09-19-2018, 11:48 AM   #582
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much. I'm trying to find one now on eBay, but no luck.
Terry
try here on the Marketplace or a 'wanted' ad - I would imagine there are more than a few gathering dust out there...
09-19-2018, 12:01 PM   #583
Pentaxian

Does $79 sound right for the OEM adapter? I found it at BH Photo.
Terry

---------- Post added 09-19-18 at 12:44 PM ----------

^

Is there a pin that I need to remove on the lens? In reading through this thread, It was mentioned, but I didn't quite understand. Thank you very much.
Terry
09-19-2018, 12:59 PM - 1 Like   #584
Pentaxian

Is there a pin that I need to remove on the lens
The Ricoh/M42 pin... do not remove it, but must engage it if your lens does not have an A/M switch... One way is to cut a piece of hollow plastic from a cotton swab/q-tip or electrical cable and insert that over the pin inside the lens so that it remains engaged.
09-19-2018, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #585
Pentaxian

The Ricoh/M42 pin... do not remove it, but must engage it if your lens does not have an A/M switch... One way is to cut a piece of hollow plastic from a cotton swab/q-tip or electrical cable and insert that over the pin inside the lens so that it remains engaged.
Thank you very much.
Terry